Suits And ties, what happened?

I recently was invited to a wedding reception at the City Hall,which I had not visited for approx 50 years was amazed to see it had hardly changed, I went M/S in Meadowhall and purchased a new suit every one said how smart Looked and I felt like a million dollars,suits will always beat casual.

I recently was invited to a wedding reception at the City Hall,which I had not visited for approx 50 years was amazed to see it had hardly changed, I went M/S in Meadowhall and purchased a new suit every one said how smart Looked and I felt like a million dollars,suits will always beat casual.

That's the way to go Bazza! but if you had to have a female to select a tie, then that's a couple of points less!

Yes they might have looked good in their suit and ties back then, but most had a bath once a week wiped their are on newspaper slicked their hair back with brylcreem and had a mouth full of rotten teeth...: good old days not really :gag:

That's the way to go Bazza! but if you had to have a female to select a tie, then that's a couple of points less!

Look smart, wear a suit. Of course casual has it's place too.

Its not just suit and ties that seems to gone out of fashion. When serving in the Army sometimes I went out in my number two uniform ( tunic, trousers,shirt ,tie , boots polished up and a peaked cap) often got funny looks not many of the youth of today would ever think of dressing up for a night out. That said once met a young lad who was dressed in a three piece suit complete with a pocket watch and bowler hat he looked so more impressive than the track suit gang by miles.

Its not just suit and ties that seems to gone out of fashion. When serving in the Army sometimes I went out in my number two uniform ( tunic, trousers,shirt ,tie , boots polished up and a peaked cap) often got funny looks not many of the youth of today would ever think of dressing up for a night out. That said once met a young lad who was dressed in a three piece suit complete with a pocket watch and bowler hat he looked so more impressive than the track suit gang by miles.

That bloke you met with the bowler etc, wasn't Charlie Chaplin was it ?

Yes they might have looked good in their suit and ties back then, but most had a bath once a week wiped their are on newspaper slicked their hair back with brylcreem and had a mouth full of rotten teeth...: good old days not really :gag:

Back when? I and everyone else on here were talking 60's not 40's and 50's, although many would have gone through what you mentioned as kids, including myself, i.e the one bath a week and newspaper in the toilet, but things had changed by the early sixties. By the way, I still have all my original teeth and they are in great shape and all my hair too and I am over 70, so Brylcreem didn't do me any harm . LOL:D

---------- Post added 13-09-2015 at 19:39 ----------

John Steed ;)

Back when? I and everyone else on here were talking 60's not 40's and 50's, although many would have gone through what you mentioned as kids, including myself, i.e the one bath a week and newspaper in the toilet, but things had changed by the early sixties. By the way, I still have all my original teeth and they are in great shape and all my hair too and I am over 70, so Brylcreem didn't do me any harm . LOL:D

---------- Post added 13-09-2015 at 19:39 ----------

John Steed ;)

I always preferred newspaper to that Izal brand toilet paper!:hihi:

Fashions just change. Plenty of people spend a long time getting ready to go .My mum says when she was young, women always wore hats as part of the outfit...how often do you see that now?

Fashions just change. Plenty of people spend a long time getting ready to go .My mum says when she was young, women always wore hats as part of the outfit...how often do you see that now?

Quite a lot in North America i.e. baseball caps ..lol

---------- Post added 14-09-2015 at 15:58 ----------

I always preferred newspaper to that Izal brand toilet paper!:hihi:

Me too that Izal was brutal, infact if you was out in the woods or whatever a dock leaf was more preferable;)

Quite a lot in North America i.e. baseball caps ..lol

---------- Post added 14-09-2015 at 15:58 ----------

Me too that Izal was brutal, infact if you was out in the woods or whatever a dock leaf was more preferable;)

Or a nice fluffy rabbit even better still!,I recollect that in medieval times it was customary for royalty to wipe their arses on a swans neck,has anyone ever heard this?.:huh::confused:

:hihi: Still looked impressive nevertheless.