Suits And ties, what happened?

Don't recall many people wearing cravats especially in the 70's, as men's fashions changed a lot in that decade. Even ties were not as prevalent as the shirt collar over the jacket collar and wide open neck was in style. Although suits were still in vogue, they were getting more brighter coloured and of course the trousers were flared. Even in the 60's I don't recall many younger lads wearing cravats. When I think of cravats, I think of Noel Coward, Dennis Price, Terry Thomas etc...LOL

!960's: Cravats were all the go

Not in my day owd luv.

I think the closest they ever got to a Cravat round our way was the old white silk scarf and flat cap.

Mind you I did own a string tie in the 50s and me flat cap was in blue and black stripes !!

I'm that old I can remember when jeans had four inch turn ups..

Edited by grinder

Jason King comes to mind

Oh! a real man's man, Peter Wyngarde !!??

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 20:09 ----------

Not in my day owd luv.

I think the closest they ever got to a Cravat round our way was the old white silk scarf and flat cap.

Mind you I did own a string tie in the 50s and me flat cap was in blue and black stripes !!

I'm that old I can remember when jeans had four inch turn ups..

Some of those scarves were worn by men who worked in the rolling mills or around big hot furnaces, I had a couple and they could pass as dress-wear with an overcoat but not as cravats. The blue and black striped caps also came in red and black, yellow and black and I got mine from Winstone's on Snig Hill or Spital Hill, in the mid and late 60's.

The blue and black striped caps also came in red and black, yellow and black and I got mine from Winstone's on Snig Hill or Spital Hill, in the mid and late 60's.

I never had one but weren't they made from a slightly shiny material and had a little buckle at the back?

I never had one but weren't they made from a slightly shiny material and had a little buckle at the back?

Yes Jim, shiny but not too shiny and the adjustment buckle at the back.

Oh! a real man's man, Peter Wyngarde !!??

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 20:09 ----------

Some of those scarves were worn by men who worked in the rolling mills or around big hot furnaces, I had a couple and they could pass as dress-wear with an overcoat but not as cravats. The blue and black striped caps also came in red and black, yellow and black and I got mine from Winstone's on Snig Hill or Spital Hill, in the mid and late 60's.

I had a red and black cap , they were like corduroy, I think. The white silk scarves were common in hot areas of all the steelworks and were great sweat absorbers, I wore them when working on repairs in hot areas like rolling mills , forges etc. Had a string tie too a pearl drum with a diagonal gold guitar on the face, red strings and 2 gold bullets. at the end. Never ever had a Cravat, however, nor did anyone I knew.

I had a red and black cap , they were like corduroy, I think. The white silk scarves were common in hot areas of all the steelworks and were great sweat absorbers, I wore them when working on repairs in hot areas like rolling mills , forges etc. Had a string tie too a pearl drum with a diagonal gold guitar on the face, red strings and 2 gold bullets. at the end. Never ever had a Cravat, however, nor did anyone I knew.

Yes Mr.T those white silk scarves were just the job, inexpensive too and you could pass (a clean) one off under-on a night out- a winter coat but as you say try not to be looking like Noel Coward or Cary Grant. As for cravats never had one either but those double sided silk scarves that you could get from some of the better 'Gentleman's Outfitter's' in the suburbs (in my case Peterkin's) I used to see a few 'Fancy Dans' sporting them, but not that look for me.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Those striped caps, if you were around at the time you may remember that Gene Vincents backing group on "Be bop A lula" were called The Blue caps, that's why I bought mine any way..

Those striped caps, if you were around at the time you may remember that Gene Vincents backing group on "Be bop A lula" were called The Blue caps, that's why I bought mine any way..

You obviously saw " The girl can't help it" or just liked the cover of his first album, eh?

I recently went to a wedding reception at the City Hall two young friends of mine got married in Gibraltar,purchased a suit from M/S. not expensive but looked fantastic the bride said how great I looked felt realy good brought back some happy memories,every one went out Sat Night dressed to kill,my suits were made by Fred Ericks in Middlewood starched colars from Chinese Laundry on Middlewood Rd near the old Park Cinema,occasionaly go out with suit on every says Weres Tha Been, happy days.

Don't recall many people wearing cravats especially in the 70's, as men's fashions changed a lot in that decade. Even ties were not as prevalent as the shirt collar over the jacket collar and wide open neck was in style. Although suits were still in vogue, they were getting more brighter coloured and of course the trousers were flared. Even in the 60's I don't recall many younger lads wearing cravats. When I think of cravats, I think of Noel Coward, Dennis Price, Terry Thomas etc...LOL
Edited by raymondo1952
answer the same as others