Suits And ties, what happened?

You obviously saw " The girl can't help it" or just liked the cover of his first album, eh?

Yes, but as you know Tony back then the American rock and rollers where kings, we put them on a pedestal and considered our British counter parts B class imitations, and they were.

We all got hooked on the T shirts and jeans as casual dress, even the leather jacket to a point, but by the time we finally saw them in those "rock and roll" films to be honest even Elvis to me looked a bit old fashioned some how.

Edited by grinder

Yes, but as you know Tony back then the American rock and rollers where kings, we put them on a pedestal and considered our British counter parts B class imitations, and they were.

We all got hooked on the T shirts and jeans as casual dress, even the leather jacket to a point, but by the time we finally saw them in those "rock and roll" films to be honest even Elvis to me looked a bit old fashioned some how.

I agree about all you say about the Americans being better than most of our lads, with one exception, Marty Wilde, he covered a lot of American hits and did them better, especially Teenager in Love, play Marty's version and Dion's version, back to back and there is no contest. Even older people over here agree when they hear them, and they had never heard of Marty, until I enlightened them.

Yes,I agree Marty Wild was one of the better ones in the early days and did some good cover versions (I've still got my copy of The endless sleep) but it wasn't until the lads over here learned how to play the music and we got groups like "The shadows" coming through that they started to really compete on the record front.

Then of course in the sixty's it changed and went the other way, and don't forget back then the British groups wore suits and ties.....

Edited by grinder

Yes,I agree Marty Wild was one of the better ones in the early days and did some good cover versions (I've still got my copy of The endless sleep) but it wasn't until the lads over here learned how to play the music and we got groups like "The shadows" coming through that they started to really compete on the record front.

Then of course in the sixty's it changed and went the other way, and don't forget back then the British groups wore suits and ties.....

Love your last line, you took the topic of the thread and put it right back on track. Yes, until the Stones came along, all the groups wore suits and ties just like the big bands before them.

I agree about all you say about the Americans being better than most of our lads, with one exception, Marty Wilde, he covered a lot of American hits and did them better, especially Teenager in Love, play Marty's version and Dion's version, back to back and there is no contest. Even older people over here agree when they hear them, and they had never heard of Marty, until I enlightened them.

Close but no cigar.

We got to enjoy the Woolworth versions of the American rock classics, because that's all we could afford. English singers trying to adopt some Mississippi or Georgia accent was at the least, embarrassing.

Not to be confused with REAL English rock when the Beatles and Gerry Marsden came along and did OUR music.

There's a guy I met goes around the social clubs doing Neil Diamond in better voice that Neil, but he's just not Neil Diamond. He comes from Sunderland,

Lol

Edited by trastrick

Close but no cigar.

We got to enjoy the Woolworth versions of the American rock classics, because that's all we could afford. English singers trying to adopt some Mississippi or Georgia accent was at the least, embarrassing.

Not to be confused with REAL English rock when the Beatles and Gerry Marsden came along and did OUR music.

There's a guy I met goes around the social clubs doing Neil Diamond in better voice that Neil, but he's just not Neil Diamond. He comes from Sunderland,

Lol

90% of famous British singers sing with American accents even with music written by themselves ie Mick Jagger, Elton John, Rod Stewart, even our own Joe Cocker, the list is endless oh and the Beatles too, on many songs, especially when Lennon was singing lead.

Edited by TORONTONY

90% of famous British singers sang with American accents even with music written by themselves ie Mick Jagger, Elton John, Rod Stewart, even our own Joe Cocker, the list is endless oh and the Beatles too, on many songs, especially when Lennon was singing lead.

You got me there. Have a Stuonses on me!

But I still think it's weird.

"Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo

'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio.

Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gayo,

Son of a gun, gonna have big fun on the bayou."

What's THAT got to do with the Castle Market or the Red Lion? Lol

Edited by trastrick

who wore a suit with a link button,they seem to have been forgotten.

Don't recall many people wearing cravats especially in the 70's, as men's fashions changed a lot in that decade. Even ties were not as prevalent as the shirt collar over the jacket collar and wide open neck was in style. Although suits were still in vogue, they were getting more brighter coloured and of course the trousers were flared. Even in the 60's I don't recall many younger lads wearing cravats. When I think of cravats, I think of Noel Coward, Dennis Price, Terry Thomas etc...LOL

--------------

---------- Post added 25-07-2015 at 18:53 ----------

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6175504310240060513

----------------------

Hi Torontony, Will this shirt pass for 70s disco parties. :|

Edited by brian1941

--------------

---------- Post added 25-07-2015 at 18:53 ----------

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6175504310240060513

----------------------

Hi Torontony, Will this shirt pass for 70s disco parties. :|

Shirt would have, don't know about the crowning glory though..LOL

You got me there. Have a Stuonses on me!

But I still think it's weird.

"Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo

'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio.

Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gayo,

Son of a gun, gonna have big fun on the bayou."

What's THAT got to do with the Castle Market or the Red Lion? Lol

You could probably buy all the ingredients for the first three items in the Castle Market, not sure about the filet gumbo though. And if you couldn't get crawfish you could use shrimp. But you could get enough for a passable Jambalaya. Fruit jar is just home made wine. Cravats is weird.

hiya, i remember the whitsun suits they were always bought bigger so as you grew into them after all they had to last a year to the next one.