Suits And ties, what happened?

Me on the left of pic in 1960 aged 16, looking shy, with one of my workmates from Firth Browns at Constance Grant's ballroom on West Street. I was wearing my 'made to measure' best suit in blue serge, blue tie, white shirt and 'Old Spice'. Can just make out a chain tie pin. The cuff links and piece of card in my breast pocket with three pointed bits of hanky on top are out of sight. I would wear my 'other' previous year's suit at work in the office where I was paid for walking around offices where beautiful girls were. Still, I suppose someone had to do it :) Transport was on a Lambretta scooter dressed as you see us and hoping it didn't rain on the way there :)IMG_1519_zps2ce0vh8i.jpg

Edited by PeterR

I love to watch the beginning of the film, 'Saturday Night Fever' when John Travolta gets ready to go out. Although I am from an older age it does remind me of the care we took to look our best when going out in our suits.

Happy days! PopT

Me on the left of pic in 1960 aged 16, looking shy, with one of my workmates from Firth Browns at Constance Grant's ballroom on West Street. I was wearing my 'made to measure' best suit in blue serge, blue tie, white shirt and 'Old Spice'. Can just make out a chain tie pin. The cuff links and piece of card in my breast pocket with three pointed bits of hanky on top are out of sight. I would wear my 'other' previous year's suit at work in the office where I was paid for walking around offices where beautiful girls were. Still, I suppose someone had to do it :) Transport was on a Lambretta scooter dressed as you see us and hoping it didn't rain on the way there :)IMG_1519_zps2ce0vh8i.jpg

Nice shot of Kayser Ellison's on one picture,(Sutherland Street/Carlisle Street East) used to live near there. I think the archway gate is still standing

I never find it particularly difficult to find a plasterer, mechanic, gardener, tiler... So they're obviously not diminishing that fast.

Not talking about right now. It won't happen in our lifetime, but it will happen, plus a lot of the trades you mention are often family businesses and hand me down skills. The major problems will be machinists, fitters, welders, tool and die makers, boilermakers, to name just a few. These are all skills where a full apprenticeship is required and are necessary for all kinds of industry. These are the areas of concern globally.

:confused:

Nice shot of Kayser Ellison's on one picture,(Sutherland Street/Carlisle Street East) used to live near there. I think the archway gate is still standing

I put only the one pic on from my Photobucket but sometimes several others come up. Then next time I look there's only the one again. Don't know why. :confused:

Edited by PeterR

Not talking about right now. It won't happen in our lifetime, but it will happen, plus a lot of the trades you mention are often family businesses and hand me down skills. The major problems will be machinists, fitters, welders, tool and die makers, boilermakers, to name just a few. These are all skills where a full apprenticeship is required and are necessary for all kinds of industry. These are the areas of concern globally.

Are they? I can imagine that these skills probably will become scarce in the UK, but that's because the production of such items has moved elsewhere, rural China for example.

Supply and demand will sort it out, whilst ever we need someone to do these things, someone will be available to do them for a price.

In the 60s no matter which pub you frequented in town e.g. the Adelphi,Red Lion,Wharncliffe,West St Hotel ect.,every bloke wore well made suits, stiff collared shirts,silk ties hankie in top pocket,highly polished shoes,sometimes cravats and don,t forget Crombie overcoats in wintertime!.My mates and I had made to measure suits twice a year at Joe Wildsmiths on Carver St,nowadays its exactly the opposite everybody walks about looking like they have just been working under their car,scruffy gets!.I took the bride for a drink on Ecclesall Road a few months back and while waiting for my drinks at the bar I overheard a group of effeminate looking student types taking the mick about my appearance because I was wearing a nice suit,shirt and tie!.They looked like a bunch of down and outs so I was a bit narked but I kept my mouth shut not that I could do much about it these days I guess I,m old fashioned but I know what I prefer to look like,no one seems to care nowadays about their appearance at all!

I remember it very well my friend.The tailors mentioned used them both over a number of years no casual wear at weekends, The good old days, everyone had a job the term on the dole was unheard of, i could go on and on best of luck to you be lucky

In the 60s no matter which pub you frequented in town e.g. the Adelphi,Red Lion,Wharncliffe,West St Hotel ect.,every bloke wore well made suits, stiff collared shirts,silk ties hankie in top pocket,highly polished shoes,sometimes cravats and don,t forget Crombie overcoats in wintertime!.My mates and I had made to measure suits twice a year at Joe Wildsmiths on Carver St,nowadays its exactly the opposite everybody walks about looking like they have just been working under their car,scruffy gets!.I took the bride for a drink on Ecclesall Road a few months back and while waiting for my drinks at the bar I overheard a group of effeminate looking student types taking the mick about my appearance because I was wearing a nice suit,shirt and tie!.They looked like a bunch of down and outs so I was a bit narked but I kept my mouth shut not that I could do much about it these days I guess I,m old fashioned but I know what I prefer to look like,no one seems to care nowadays about their appearance at all!

Sounds like you're the one with style old tup. I also like to dress up for special occasions. But, I live in a tourist destination now. Gets quite hot in summer, so I often resort to wearing shorts and a T shirt -- even at my ripe old age. :hihi::hihi:

anybody here remember when you went on the town dressed to the nines, cuff links, starched collars. always drank halves, because you had to get through a lot of pubs on your quest for Miss Right?

------------------

Hi Torontony, Clothes and stuff been mention, was Cravats around

in the 70s. Thanks :|

------------------

Hi Torontony, Clothes and stuff been mention, was Cravats around

in the 70s. Thanks :|

Don't recall many people wearing cravats especially in the 70's, as men's fashions changed a lot in that decade. Even ties were not as prevalent as the shirt collar over the jacket collar and wide open neck was in style. Although suits were still in vogue, they were getting more brighter coloured and of course the trousers were flared. Even in the 60's I don't recall many younger lads wearing cravats. When I think of cravats, I think of Noel Coward, Dennis Price, Terry Thomas etc...LOL

What ever happened to the kipper tie, I am waiting for them to come back.

I mourn the passing of smartly dressed men. The tv programme Lewis is a favourite, not least because Lewis and his sidekick always look so smart and fanciable.

Just look around you when in town. Everywhere you see people, male and female, dressed so sloppily and I don't think it's always because they can't afford anything better. We seem to have lost any sense of style.