Suits And ties, what happened?

I think also one of the difference now is people dress up for work and dress down for play.

Back in those days most of us had dirty jobs and looked forward to dressing up for a night out..

I think also one of the difference now is people dress up for work and dress down for play.

Back in those days most of us had dirty jobs and looked forward to dressing up for a night out..

That is what I was looking for when, I started this thread, the answer is as you say, nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore, and tradesmen are diminishing rapidly world wide. Todays youngsters want to go straight into computer generated jobs and into an office environment. Life as we knew it is gone for good. I do. however, consider the word good, totally inapropriate for how I feel on the matter...lol

Edited by TORONTONY
typo

we are breeding a nation who want designer dirty but dont want to get their hands mucky, we need real men to fix things not computers.Its the same with todays styles they want to look tough with their VinnyJones look but in reality or as soft as poo,a good days hard graft would put half of them in intensive care.

we are breeding a nation who want designer dirty but dont want to get their hands mucky, we need real men to fix things not computers.Its the same with todays styles they want to look tough with their VinnyJones look but in reality or as soft as poo,a good days hard graft would put half of them in intensive care.

Totally agree, and when all our tradesmen retire, like myself and millions of others, who are going to make things,fix things, build things etc. etc. ? Canada is already getting in panic mode about the situation. Mind you they never have had proper apprenticeships here, that is how I came to Canada, I was hired in England by a Canadian company, as a fully skilled tradesman, but we are getting few and far between these days...end of rant....lol

Yes - Barney Goodman made-to-measure suits, clean-cut shirts & collars, smart ties and well-polished shoes. You could even have your shirts made to measure at Harrington's in the market - the good old days!.:)

I thought my memory was going with my age but I can remember some things like inside of the tailors shop were a couple of steps down to the machinist/fitting room, or maybe I am going senile and imagining things

Could never afford Barney Goodman's. Always used to get my suits from Burtons at the top of Dixon Lane. I seem to remember they did use to measure you up though.

The suit I had made when I got married cost 16 quid from John Collier. Three button Italian style, winkle picker shoes, real class!

The suit I had made when I got married cost 16 quid from John Collier. Three button Italian style, winkle picker shoes, real class!

You could have got the shirt and tie included at H. Montague Burton i.e the Full Monty..LOL:hihi::hihi:

I agree nobody like young guys don't wants to get hands dirty and work hard I retired as a Millwright in 2003 I live in Ontario as well been here since 1974 Brisn

I agree theirs a lot of truth in that but who decided to end meaningful apprenticeships ?

I know there isn't the call in manufacturing so much these days, but what ever the trade you want to learn there is no better way of learning it than on the job...

But back in the day there was no better feeling than getting washed down and togged up for a Saturday night out...

Suited and booted.......Magic !!!

Edited by grinder

I agree theirs a lot of truth in that but who decided to end meaningful apprenticeships ?

I know there isn't the call in manufacturing so much these days, but what ever the trade you want to learn there is no better way of learning it than on the job...

But back in the day there was no better feeling than getting washed down and togged up for a Saturday night out...

Suited and booted.......Magic !!!

Fridays too

That is what I was looking for when, I started this thread, the answer is as you say, nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore, and tradesmen are diminishing rapidly world wide. Todays youngsters want to go straight into computer generated jobs and into an office environment. Life as we knew it is gone for good. I do. however, consider the word good, totally inapropriate for how I feel on the matter...lol

I never find it particularly difficult to find a plasterer, mechanic, gardener, tiler... So they're obviously not diminishing that fast.