Suits And ties, what happened?

Its the same when me and the wife go out she will say oh I feel overdressed so i say no its the others that are under dressed at least you made an effort.I have no quarms about going out in my suit even if it is a Marks and Sparks cheapie it just makes a change.Some people work in suits all day and want to go out casual,thats fair enough,I worked for 50yrs in sh*t and now like to be clean and smart.Casual and clean is better than casul and scruffy in my opinion.

Ah yes. As a lad, my older brothers used to take ages getting ready to go "down town" on a Saturday night. Always suited and everything just so, my way of earning a few bob was to polish the shoes until they could see their face in them, and to brush the jackets (does anyone still brush jackets?).

The last job was to iron the handkerchief to the latest shape for the top pocket and collect my money :cool:

Things had relaxed a bit when it came to my day, suits for special occasions and a jacket for the smart look. Any other trip to the pub etc. would be smart casual.

know my wife put my wedding suit in the garbage well suppose i was getting little porky and i had for 20 yrs still it did havce those nice turn up bottoms was the last suit i rever had that was 55yrs ago

Ah yes. As a lad, my older brothers used to take ages getting ready to go "down town" on a Saturday night. Always suited and everything just so, my way of earning a few bob was to polish the shoes until they could see their face in them, and to brush the jackets (does anyone still brush jackets?).

The last job was to iron the handkerchief to the latest shape for the top pocket and collect my money :cool:

Things had relaxed a bit when it came to my day, suits for special occasions and a jacket for the smart look. Any other trip to the pub etc. would be smart casual.

I brush my suit regularly it saves on dry cleaning bills.

That's wheree it gets you though - they do care what they look like, and spend a lot fo time getting ready, but the look they are going for is not one that you recognise as smart. But is is usually specifically worked out to look like that.

I guess that was my point. It's not dirty by any means, which I think someone said, it's casual, but it's still something that's taken care over.

Going back, probably 30 years or so, we always dressed up to go out at night., as did most other people. On visits to my brother in the London area, was surprised how casual the southerners dressed going out, say to the pub. My brother explained it this way.

For the most part, northerners worked in more manual occupations, and therefore wore less formal attire at work, so liked to dress up to go out, where southerners, mostly dressed up for work, so were happy to be more casual on their time off.

Some of these posts reminded me of a trip to London back in the 50's. There were three of us and we all went down to a club, the Florida, featuring jazz, in Leicester Square . We'd all got the suits on, from Kearney's. I've got to say it, we put the locals into the well known 'shade.'

But what made me smile was somebody came up to one of the mates and said ' Did you used to knock about with Albert Dimes.' A D was a bit of a gangster. Only thing was I think he had been dead for a few years then. My mate asked me 'Who's Albert Dimes, wasn't he that trumpet player with Edmundo Ross?

Edited by Texas

Recently viewed a 1902 tram trip through the town on YouTube, every man and youngish lads had a tie and a suit on . Ladies in dresses they really looked very smart. Today people wear what they can afford formal wear is out . Shame.

That's the way it was from childhood, in the old days, Always got a new suit for Whitsuntide as a kid, even though we were not that well off

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 14:53 ----------

Funny you should say all that stuff, I used to have to do a Windsor knot for a couple of lads, but I had to do it on myself and then loosen it, lift it over my head and put it over their heads lol

Edited by TORONTONY

...Always got a new suit for Whitsuntide as a kid, even though we were not that well off...
So did we..:P

and now one can go to the locale sally ann thrift store and buy any brand new for $5 or a nice blazer for two dont even need one to bury me in a pair of P J s will do for the burn up[

I remember in the early 60's my cousin and his best mate used to pop into ours on their way into town on a Saturday night.

Incredible suits, spotless shirts and shoes and smelling cool with cologne etc. As a young ten year old all I could do was wish when I was old enough to dress up like that and 'do the town'

Sadly by the time I reached the age when it was my turn, denim had started to make inroads into the dress code, or just a pair of trousers and shirt, no suit etc.

This post has just bought a load of memories back and the smell of Aramis is now haunting me :)