Somme Barracks Plaques

Many years ago I lived within the area close to the Somme Barracks and there were commemorative plaques on the walls, and as I do not live in Sheffield now on a recent visit I passed the Barracks and noticed the plaques had gone and the places plastered over. Does anyone know what happened to those missing plaques?

I remember playing for the youth stage band there but unfortunately I can't remember any plaques.

I would like to add though!!

This post may be locked and future posters will be asked to pm you directly :loopy:

History and expats forum and you can't reply/discuss :rant::rant:

Ridiculous

I remember playing for the youth stage band there but unfortunately I can't remember any plaques.

I would like to add though!!

This post may be locked and future posters will be asked to pm you directly :loopy:

History and expats forum and you can't reply/discuss :rant::rant:

Ridiculous

I agree, reminds me of the teachers in the 50's. Pink Floyd made a fortune singing songs about that kind of behaviour.

Edited by TORONTONY

As far as I see it, discussion is encouraged. Starting threads as some do, with the sole intention of plagiarism for gain or cheap research isn't.

Many years ago I lived within the area close to the Somme Barracks and there were commemorative plaques on the walls, and as I do not live in Sheffield now on a recent visit I passed the Barracks and noticed the plaques had gone and the places plastered over. Does anyone know what happened to those missing plaques?

You could always try writing, phoning or emailing them at

Sheffield UOTC

Somme Barracks, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2HU

Tel: 0114 252 6310

Email: Sheffielduotc-chclk@tanet.mod.uk