VIP paedophile ring

So everything Watson passed onto the police had no basis?

perhaps you should explain what evidence you imagine tom watson brought to this investigation. it seems to me all he did was ensure the names of prominent people, who have subsequently been cleared, we splashed all over the media. ruining the lives of innocent people is a very interesting take on justice.

perhaps you should explain what evidence you imagine tom watson brought to this investigation. it seems to me all he did was ensure the names of prominent people, who have subsequently been cleared, we splashed all over the media. ruining the lives of innocent people is a very interesting take on justice.

He passed on allegations to the police.

Three people have been convicted of paedophilia as a result. There are multiple ongoing police investigations, and there are a couple of dozen ongoing IPCC investigations.

Was he right to pass on allegations about Brittan? Absolutely he was. He's got nothing to apologise for

well there you have it. which particular person are you attempting to stick up for here? is it the folk who tom watson attempted to ruin by wrongly putting their names across the press or tom watson who now has his name across the press for doing it?

The person who has put more names into the public domain than anyone else seems to be convicted sex offender Harvey Proctor, who named at least 6 people who hadn't been mentioned before, in his volunteered press conference.

Tom Watson had a duty to give any information he had to the police.

As I understand it there are at least 1,400 alleged victims, and an awful lot of covering up going on. Not least by Leon Britten who 'lost' over 100 child abuse files personally handed to him and never seen again; a recurring problem that is hindering this investigation. That and an establishment determined to ensure that this enquiry will never see the light of day.

Edited by Anna B

Three people have been convicted of paedophilia as a result. There are multiple ongoing police investigations, and there are a couple of dozen ongoing IPCC investigations.

Was he right to pass on allegations about Brittan? Absolutely he was. He's got nothing to apologise for

the police already had the allegations from folk who were involved. someone passing on information they have picked up are merely passing on heresay. a politician passing on heresay to the cps is probably ok. but a politician using his position to influence events is quite another. he's trash.

Tom Watson had a duty to give any information he had to the police.

I think we all have that duty regardless of hearsay or fact. It's then up to police to investigate the information for accuracy.

the police already had the allegations from folk who were involved. someone passing on information they have picked up are merely passing on heresay. a politician passing on heresay to the cps is probably ok. but a politician using his position to influence events is quite another. he's trash.

In a case like this a lot comes down to one person's word against another's. As we have seen since the 1970's these cases have continued to be reported by the victims who have not been taken seriously by police or actually threatened, as their word was not considered equal to 'a person of substance.' Yet Jimmy Saville attacked hundreds of women and got away with it by using his influence to intimidate and ridicule. Likewise Cyril Smith and several churchmen abused children. Leon Britten's name was in the public domain long before Tom Watson got involved.

It's going to take a lot of guts and determination to stand up to considerable prejudice in favour of establishment figures, their reputations, and enormous power. These were children who deserve justice, yet you begrudge them a champion.

Edited by Anna B

Who's lives have been ruined?

Nope. He's a hero for standing up to people who would rather brush this all under the carpet.

Passing on allegations of this nature to the police is a duty. It's not passing on heresay or tittle-tattle. It's passing on allegations of serious criminal activity. It is not up to the person doing so to be aware of any existing investigations, or to assume the police are already doing the right thing (in many cases it's possible they weren't hence the IPCC activity) nor is it their responsibility to deep-dive into the evidence and assess it themselves. All that is required is for the reporting person to genuinely believe what they have been told.

Like I said there is nothing to apologise for. Nothing at all.

He passed on unsubstantiated allegations not evidence as I understand it.

The Panorama programme is well worth watching in a completely objective unbiased way with an open mind.

You ought to try it. Your response to my comments on the shoddiness of the journalism only showed that you saw what you wanted to see.

You ought to try it. Your response to my comments on the shoddiness of the journalism only showed that you saw what you wanted to see.

Were you open minded and without bias or prejudging of the people and situation when evaluating the programme ?

Nope. He's a hero for standing up to people who would rather brush this all under the carpet.

Passing on allegations of this nature to the police is a duty. It's not passing on heresay or tittle-tattle. It's passing on allegations of serious criminal activity. It is not up to the person doing so to be aware of any existing investigations, or to assume the police are already doing the right thing (in many cases it's possible they weren't hence the IPCC activity) nor is it their responsibility to deep-dive into the evidence and assess it themselves. All that is required is for the reporting person to genuinely believe what they have been told.

Like I said there is nothing to apologise for. Nothing at all.

that's good. the concept of heresay is obviously too complex for you to comprehend.

but the good news is that tom watson is now damaged goods. he has this in the locker and it will be used to attack him for his entire career. he has made himself unelectable. perhaps he should go into tv where he could host a tv show called Fact Hunt.

You are aware that ONLY the investigation into the rape allegation has been dropped? He is not been cleared on investigations under Yewtree for both child sex offences and improper conduct in office over the dossier of MPs accused of child sex offences that mysteriously disappeared. This does NOT necessarily make him guilty of course, but it does make an apology by Tom Watson to the family of a man who is still being investigated for possible sex offences a bit less clear cut?

I've not seen the Panorama programme so can't comment on it. I'd not be surprised in anyway that some people have given false testimony. People make up stories about being assaulted in Primark so why not over something like this. Doesn't mean everyone who tells a story about being assaulted is lying though. Clearly, someone/something is stopping a proper investigation. Documents going missing, witnesses being uncompliant, police being obstructed, senior MPs, judges and even royals putting pressure on for cases to be dropped. If there is nothing to hide then why all this subterfuge?

Whether Lord Brittan is guilty, only he and his accusers know, but there is so much being covered up that he will never be fully cleared until someone starts talking and explaining what the hell is going on.

---------- Post added 13-10-2015 at 09:25 ----------

No he does and he has already apologised for repeating claims like he was 'close to evil'. Sadly, I do think Watson was overzealous in this. I can understand why, if I was presented with evidence that someone obstructed an investigation into paedophiles I'd be livid too and I'd probably go overboard, but that wasn't his job and wasn't his right to do so. He should have passed on what he knew to the police and then made sure it was investigated without making a big media song and dance about it. If I was naïve I would say he made a public fuss as he was concerned the police would brush it under the carpet without media scrutiny, but sadly I suspect it was done more to politically point score. However I don't think he should apologise over his actions anymore than he has done, especially as Lord Brittan has only been cleared of the rape offence and not mishandling evidence or other sex offences.