Bees in my garden!

We've got bees coming and going from an outside airvent, right where we sit outside. My first thoughts were to get rid of them (no idea how!), but a neighbour has told us that when they've finished nesting, they'll go on their own. They're not coming in the house, and aren't particularly bothering my wife and myself, but if the family come round I can see there being a near riot!

Also, if they do go on their own, what's to say they won't come back, and in even great numbers next time? At the moment there are 2 or 3 a minute going in and out of the vent.

Does anybody know anything about bee nests, and have any suggestions?

We've got bees coming and going from an outside airvent, right where we sit outside. My first thoughts were to get rid of them (no idea how!), but a neighbour has told us that when they've finished nesting, they'll go on their own. They're not coming in the house, and aren't particularly bothering my wife and myself, but if the family come round I can see there being a near riot!

Also, if they do go on their own, what's to say they won't come back, and in even great numbers next time? At the moment there are 2 or 3 a minute going in and out of the vent.

Does anybody know anything about bee nests, and have any suggestions?

I agree with your neighbour, if you don't bother them they won't bother you and they are a very important species.

We had bee's in our garden last year, they really won't harm you if you leave them alone.

The hive stayed for a little while and they moved on.

Eyup scoobz! My parents had bees in the air vent next to the door a couple years ago. Once theyd stopped nesting, and had all flown they put wasp and bees powder in the vent to stop them coming home next year! It's worked, this year no bees. :)

We've got bees coming and going from an outside airvent, right where we sit outside.

Make sure that they are bees, and not wasps; if you can catch one you should be able to google images of bees.

Make sure that they are bees, and not wasps; if you can catch one you should be able to google images of bees.

Don't fancy donning a beekeepers outfit to grab one, but to be honest I'm certain they're bees. They're larger than wasps for a start, and when they fly towards me when I'm sat in front of the vent they fly round me to get to the vent. To be fair I wouldn't sit there if they were wasps!

Ey up to you too Feargal. Nice to see you're still frequenting the forum, which thanks to you both led me to meet and marry Mrs Scoobz :thumbsup:. Sound advice re the bees, don't know why you weren't asked first!

Bees are good ... wasps are bad ... very bad.

Don't fancy donning a beekeepers outfit to grab one, but to be honest I'm certain they're bees. They're larger than wasps for a start, and when they fly towards me when I'm sat in front of the vent they fly round me to get to the vent. To be fair I wouldn't sit there if they were wasps!

Ey up to you too Feargal. Nice to see you're still frequenting the forum, which thanks to you both led me to meet and marry Mrs Scoobz :thumbsup:. Sound advice re the bees, don't know why you weren't asked first!

They fly round you because they're quite intelligent and know that if they fly into you they will crash and their wings will drop off and they will plummet to the ground and you may crush them under your flip flop.

I had Wabbies last year in the garage. Hundreds of the blighters would swarm around the washing line as I hung out my "limited edition" CK Boxer shorts/trunks. All they're concerned with is protecting the nest. Once they're satisfied I'm no threat they go about their business. No bother.

Once they left I filled the gaps around the garage and they aint come back this year. I miss them in a strange way.:(

They fly round you because they're quite intelligent and know that if they fly into you they will crash and their wings will drop off and they will plummet to the ground and you may crush them under your flip flop.

I had Wabbies last year in the garage. Hundreds of the blighters would swarm around the washing line as I hung out my "limited edition" CK Boxer shorts/trunks. All they're concerned with is protecting the nest. Once they're satisfied I'm no threat they go about their business. No bother.

Once they left I filled the gaps around the garage and they aint come back this year. I miss them in a strange way.:(

Daft thing to do ... how do you get your car in? :huh:

Daft thing to do ... how do you get your car in? :huh:

Haha! Very good.

Garage is full of crap, so car parked out on the front.

Bunch up news paper doused in petrol and honey. Let them cover it and set it alight.

Bunch up news paper doused in petrol and honey. Let them cover it and set it alight.

An utterly crass and stupid suggestion for a number of reasons -

a) Bees are hugely important to the ecosystem

b) Leave them alone and they leave you alone

c) It would be the act of a nasty minded idiot.