FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland

Wonder what tipped them off that something not quite right could be going on?

I mean that organization has always appeared so correct and squeaky clean on the surface hasn't it?

Probably a whistle blower ( ex ref ) otherwise I fail to see how anyone would have suspected foul play in such a well run outfit.

What triggered is, in my opinion, hilarious. Because the suspicion was that a lot of the deals were made on US soil, with US banks involved and so on, the FBI decided to take up the cause (also because US soccer fans were really peeved off, just like we are here). Turns out the FBI are pretty good at uncovering evidence AND making the Swiss arrest people :hihi:.

Let's hope these gents get labelled terrorists and do a stint at Guantanamo, bit of waterboarding (nearly) never killed anybody...

This is great news and well done to the US authorities here. There is no way they would have attempted such a high profile move unless they though they were on some solid ground.

Hopefully one of these cretins can be rolled into giving up Blatter.

---------- Post added 27-05-2015 at 14:40 ----------

.. United States Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch is behind this....

she previously served as the United States attorney in Brooklyn, where she supervised the FIFA investigation that brought Chuck Blazer to plea bargain... That brought us to today...

usually when the Americans take on something like this, they do not let up.

Lance Armstrong was only eventually found out because his own government and state agencies turned on him. (Probably was not expecting that - rare for nations to do that to their own elite sports people.)

not sure if the ag do the actual investigation ?

---------- Post added 27-05-2015 at 14:48 ----------

He's a slippery character that Sepp Blatter, he always gets away at the last min.

yes and its possible that Blatter gets away with this one, because it wasn't him pushing the Qatar bid (he voted against) but Platini (head of UEFA) and the French government (Platini is close to Sarkozy). After Qatar got the World Cup, Platini's son got a well-paid job in Qatar and French state companies signed lucrative gas deals with ... Qatar. Of course it happened on Blatter's watch and he is guilty, though maybe not of this specific offence.

What triggered is, in my opinion, hilarious. Because the suspicion was that a lot of the deals were made on US soil, with US banks involved and so on, the FBI decided to take up the cause (also because US soccer fans were really peeved off, just like we are here). Turns out the FBI are pretty good at uncovering evidence AND making the Swiss arrest people :hihi:.

Let's hope these gents get labelled terrorists and do a stint at Guantanamo, bit of waterboarding (nearly) never killed anybody...

Listening on the radio and one bit of information struck me as a bit draconian and well out of order.

Apparently, if you deal through any US bank OR do a deal in US dollars, it is regarded as doing the transaction on US soil, even if you never set foot in the country!

Lets face it bank ownership isn't exact always crystal clear to everyone.

Glad these corrupt gits are receiving their comeuppance, but the US is getting a bit too all embracing for my taste.

Having said which the European football nations should have got together years ago and told FIFA to do one.

Blatter will need to be squeaky clean,or to have covered his tracks perfectly to come out of this,people will be encouraged to grass and bring him into it.The 2010 WC is included in the corruption,even if he is proved to be clean,the fact that this incredible alleged stuff went on behind his back means he is guilty of incompetence and should be sacked/voted out/stand down...........it would be amazing if this FIFA president vote went ahead,and if Blatter goes ahead with it,that will be another nail in his coffin.........he either risks losing after all this has blown up,or if he is voted back in,to show complete arrogance in continuing with normal business in another attempt to hang on to power will not go down well.

If he knows that it is only a matter of time before there's a knock on his door,to go ahead with the vote would show he is more thick skinned than anybody ever imagined.

Guest sibon

I imagine that they have Blatter firmly in their sights. I can't see the arrested officials covering for him any longer. The boil is well and truly lanced.

According to Kelly Currie "this is the beginning, not the end".

About time too.

BREAKING NEWS: Swiss Police confirm that, when arrested, all seven FIFA officials threw themselves on the ground and pretended to be injured.

Listening on the radio and one bit of information struck me as a bit draconian and well out of order.

Apparently, if you deal through any US bank OR do a deal in US dollars, it is regarded as doing the transaction on US soil, even if you never set foot in the country!

Lets face it bank ownership isn't exact always crystal clear to everyone.

Glad these corrupt gits are receiving their comeuppance, but the US is getting a bit too all embracing for my taste.

Having said which the European football nations should have got together years ago and told FIFA to do one.

Ah, is that the interpretation they used? Normally that would infuriate me, but this being something that should have been sorted out long ago, let Captain America and his merry band do their world-policing duties.

It looks as though FIFA are so corrupt that the next World cup is now in doubt.

Now if a player has ten bob bet he is banned from the game or sent to prison.

So what about the Blatter mob? who can believe a word they say and should we refuse to play in the next now flawed World cup.

The English F.A should speak up now.

Ah, is that the interpretation they used? Normally that would infuriate me, but this being something that should have been sorted out long ago, let Captain America and his merry band do their world-policing duties.

Breaking news-FIFA are bent

In other news-Bears defecate in the woods.

Russian and Dubai competitions should be cancelled and the nations who came second should be awarded them..

Russian and Dubai competitions should be cancelled and the nations who came second should be awarded them..

They should be both cancelled anyway. There's a fair chance Qatar will be under a far more extreme government by then and lord knows what the Russians will do.

It looks as though FIFA are so corrupt that the next World cup is now in doubt.

Now if a player has ten bob bet he is banned from the game or sent to prison.

So what about the Blatter mob? who can believe a word they say and should we refuse to play in the next now flawed World cup.

The English F.A should speak up now.

I think the way ahead might be for European countries to break away and start their own association totally separate from FIFA, and with a totally transparent system of governance. European football is rich enough to do this. It could then allow other countries to leave FIFA and join in, bit by bit, if they are believed to be honest and are prepared to fit in with the new system.