Hollis and hancock family.

Hi Steve - this confirms that the Arthur J. Hollis I had found in Bamforth Street in the 1911 census was your great-grandad. He was with his wife Nellie, née Ashforth and children Arthur, 6 and Harry, 7 months. At that time they were living with relatives of Nellie.

Arthur J.'s age is given as 24 as of the 1911 census, and so he must be the Arthur J. Hollis who turns up in the 1891 census at 23 Springvale Road, especially as this Arthur's mother's maiden name was Jenkinson. His parents were William Hollis, a joiner, and Emma Jenkinson who had married in Sheffield in 1864. Arthur J. had an older brother William, born 1875. He was perhaps the William Hollis who died in 1951, aged 76

If you'd like a scan of the 1911 census page and other census data, send me your email address via PM. I might also be able to make up some sort of family tree..:)

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Steve - this confirms that the Arthur J. Hollis I had found in Bamforth Street in the 1911 census was your great-grandad. He was with his wife Nellie, née Ashforth and children Arthur, 6 and Harry, 7 months. At that time they were living with relatives of Nellie.

Arthur J.'s age is given as 24 as of the 1911 census, and so he must be the Arthur J. Hollis who turns up in the 1891 census at 23 Springvale Road, especially as this Arthur's mother's maiden name was Jenkinson. His parents were William Hollis, a joiner, and Emma Jenkinson who had married in Sheffield in 1964. Arthur J. had an older brother William, born 1875. He was perhaps the William Hollis who died in 1951, aged 76

If you'd like a scan of the 1911 census page and other census data, send me your email address via PM. I might also be able to make up some sort of family tree..:)

Hilsbro that's amazing. That's Def him. He had 4 children in total. Arthur who was my grandad. Harry.Nellie and William. I'll try and figure out how to PM you. Steve.

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 18:23 ----------

Hilsbro that's amazing. That's Def him. He had 4 children in total. Arthur who was my grandad. Harry.Nellie and William. I'll try and figure out how to PM you. Steve.

Hilsbro

I think I have sent you a PM with my email address

steve

Old tup . My dad has sent me a cpl of pictures of him .one on his own and one on a horse and cart with a load of kids. Been looking and I don't think I can send pictures on here or I'd send them to you. Steve.

This triggers another memory about Bill,at the cottage we had a barn with one carthorse

lodged fed and watered for the steelworks at the top of Liversey Street and one pony of our own!.When the pony needed a shoe change it was attached to the trap and Bill and little me set off for the blacksmith at the old Admiral Rodney on the way to Bradfield.Whilst the pony was being attended to Bill sank a few pints therein,when he had his fill we set off back,all went well until we reached the Penistone Road crossing!."Is it clear your way" said Bill"No there's a tram coming grandad"I replied,at this he whipped the pony and it shot toward right into the tram breaking the ponies leg!.When the police turned up they took it into the billet yard across the road and shot it,by this time my dad had turned up and gave old Bill a right dressing down followed by one from the police when they learned the facts!.My dad who was a big powerful man hauled the trap all the way back to the barn,another memory of old Bill that I had forgotten!.

Old tup.

My Great uncle bill sounds like he was a bit of a lad.

The picture that my dad has sent me with bill and a group of kids might have you on it.

Steve.

....I think I have sent you a PM with my email address. steve
Yes - I've sent you an email with some census data and the beginnings of a family tree (in MS Word) back to your great-great-great-great-grandparents Joseph & Ann Hollis of Worksop!.:)

Old tup.

My Great uncle bill sounds like he was a bit of a lad.

The picture that my dad has sent me with bill and a group of kids might have you on it.

Steve.

I will send you my e mail address please send the pictures if possible!.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 16:48 ----------

Old tup . My dad has sent me a cpl of pictures of him .one on his own and one on a horse and cart with a load of kids. Been looking and I don't think I can send pictures on here or I'd send them to you. Steve.

Thanks for the pictures Steve,I,ve been studying the second one and I may be surmising but here goes!.All the kids in the photo are carrying wrapped parcels,the tree behind has no leaves on it so its wintertime,at Christmas the Power Station at Neepsend always put on a big party for all the children of employees!.I,m sure Bill worked there or he would not be living in their cottage,so my guess is he was giving the kids a joy ride in the pony and trap as a treat,I never used to miss the parties they put on magicians,clowns and Father Christmas gave every kid presents,thats what I reckon is happening in that photo from the late 40s!.:D:D

I will send you my e mail address please send the pictures if possible!.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 16:48 ----------

Thanks for the pictures Steve,I,ve been studying the second one and I may be surmising but here goes!.All the kids in the photo are carrying wrapped parcels,the tree behind has no leaves on it so its wintertime,at Christmas the Power Station at Neepsend always put on a big party for all the children of employees!.I,m sure Bill worked there or he would not be living in their cottage,so my guess is he was giving the kids a joy ride in the pony and trap as a treat,I never used to miss the parties they put on magicians,clowns and Father Christmas gave every kid presents,thats what I reckon is happening in that photo from the late 40s!.:D:D

I'm not sure if he did work there but as you say he must have if he was living in the cottages. I think my dad has some more pictures somewhere . If he finds them I will send them to you. Hope it brought back some memories for you. Steve.

Hi, does anyone know a Susan Hancock, not sure if and what her married name would be now. She lived in some flats apparently on Prince of Wales Road when she was young, possibly into her late teens or even still. She would be about 58 ish now. That's all I know unfortunately.

Thanks in advance

Hi I am of a Hollis family from Sheffield. My dad was born in Attercliffe, Arthur born 1927 and had two brothers Henry (Harry) & Jack (I think his birth name was John).

Their mother’s name was Emily (Millie).

There are several other of us now.

I wonder if there is any connection?

co incidentally I’m looking for information on a great Uncle of mine?

Arthur Hollis (brother of my Grandad). He use to ride his horse around Sheffield in the 1920s/30s in full uniform and  welding a sword. I’d love to know if anyone had any pictures? Odd bits of info etc? 

Edited by Bonty Hammond

On 31/05/2015 at 18:02, hillsbro said:

Arthur J.'s age is given as 24 as of the 1911 census, and so he must be the Arthur J. Hollis who turns up in the 1891 census at 23 Springvale Road, especially as this Arthur's mother's maiden name was Jenkinson. His parents were William Hollis, a joiner, and Emma Jenkinson who had married in Sheffield in 1864. Arthur J. had an older brother William, born 1875. He was perhaps the William Hollis who died in 1951, aged 76

Hi, I would like some help On researching my ancestors, the Hollis family.  I was fostered as a baby so have very limited information on my blood relatives.  So far I have identified that my grandfather was Eric hollis born in 1925 and married a m kiernan in 1944.  His farther was Arthur jenkinson Hollis who was an undertaker, at at the time of Eric’s marriage lived at 305 st Philips road, Sheffield. However when looking through census etc, there was no mention of Eric even though I have just received the marriage certificate for Eric and Maureen kiernan, so I know some facts are true. I have copied the quote above as it sounds like me and HOLLISSHEFF are highly likely cousins.  However he/she have not been active for a few years.  Hope you can help and any info/photos would be gratefully accepted 

1 hour ago, Martinahollis said:

....  Hope you can help and any info/photos would be gratefully accepted 

Hi Martina - welcome to the Forum! I've had a quick look at some online resources. I found Eric in the births index, his mother's maiden name being Roberts. Otherwise I haven't found much so far. Kelly's directories from 1937 to 1942 confirm the address of 305 St Philip's Road, however the entries are "Mrs Florence F. Hollis, undertaker".  From 1951 to 1974 (the last Kelly's directory published) the business is given as "F.F. Hollis & Son".  Florence would seem to have been Arthur's wife during the period 1937-42, but the marriages index shows that Arthur J. Hollis married Florence Forster in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1945. The "1939 Register" shows the occupants of 305 St Philip's Road as Colin Forster and Irwin F. Hollis; I couldn't find Eric in this index.

I don't know if this is helpful!

42 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

Hi Martina - welcome to the Forum! I've had a quick look at some online resources. I found Eric in the births index, his mother's maiden name being Roberts. Otherwise I haven't found much so far. Kelly's directories from 1937 to 1942 confirm the address of 305 St Philip's Road, however the entries are "Mrs Florence F. Hollis, undertaker".  From 1951 to 1974 (the last Kelly's directory published) the business is given as "F.F. Hollis & Son".  Florence would seem to have been Arthur's wife during the period 1937-42, but the marriages index shows that Arthur J. Hollis married Florence Forster in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1945. The "1939 Register" shows the occupants of 305 St Philip's Road as Colin Forster and Irwin F. Hollis; I couldn't find Eric in this index.

I don't know if this is helpful!

Hi

so it must mean Florence was Arthur’s second wife.  Unfortunately I am still at a loss with Eric. I have also got my maternal mothers birth certificate which mentions Eric as been her father and at the time serving  with the service corp as a PTE. this was in 1946. As I said in my first message he married in 1944, which says his trade was a joiner, but currently serving in the army.  Really scratching my head with this one 😔