Short walk with picnic areas

i like to take my little boy (aged 3) for picnics after work whenever i can. obviously we can't go travel far due to time constraints. i live in rotherham, so i'm thinking either the outskirts of derbyshire or lincolnshire... perhaps something towards holmfirth direction as it doesn't take long to jump on the m1 and come off at j35a. open to suggestions, but i'd like ideas that feel a little remote i.e. no dog walkers and prams going past every 2 minutes! no offence

any suggestions welcome. not bothered if it's at the side of a lake, train track (disused!), church, canal, woods, fields, whatever - so long as we can throw a rug down and have fun in the great outdoors for a few hours

thank you

Try Langsett Barn. There will be walkers there, but not every 2 minutes. There are dozens of places in and around Bradfield, with all the dams there, you can soon find a nice quiet spot.

Try Langsett Barn. There will be walkers there, but not every 2 minutes. There are dozens of places in and around Bradfield, with all the dams there, you can soon find a nice quiet spot.

Langsett Barn is a good idea for after work, it's usually very busy at weekends but not too bad weekday evenings.

Agden Reservoir is reasonably quiet as are Broomhead and Morehall. You can drive right alongside Morehall if you turn off Manchester Road towards Ewden Village. There's some pull-in places along the very quiet road and about half way down there's a spot where there's always ducks waiting to be fed.

If you continue all the way along that road there's a place you can park just before the gates across the road and then have a short walk up to the Broomhead dam wall, there's a lovely grassed area next to it which is nice and quiet and a very lovely, peaceful spot. Nice and warm in the sun too as it's quite sheltered. No benches though so you'd need a picnic blanket.

Obviously a lot more local knowledge than I have VW Kittie :thumbsup:

thank you both very much! i didn't receive your replies in time, but by chance i actually ended up at langsett! i parked in the picnic area car park just up from wagon & horses on the left. it was nice and quiet! we walked along the side of the resevoir for a couple of hours and only saw 2 couples and 1 jogger! it was great

vwkittie - thanks for the tip about the ducks etc. my little lad will love that, so we'll give that one a go next!

cheers

Try Wentworth House grounds just up the road from Wentworth garden centre. There is a deer park in the grounds of this long forgotten stately home and a nice walk down to 2 lakes where there are plenty of grass space for playing and picknicks

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 17:06 ----------

Try Rivlin Valley just outside Hillsborough. There,s a café there and plenty of space for picknicking along the river walk.

Try Wentworth House grounds just up the road from Wentworth garden centre. There is a deer park in the grounds of this long forgotten stately home and a nice walk down to 2 lakes where there are plenty of grass space for playing and picknicks

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 17:06 ----------

Try Rivlin Valley just outside Hillsborough. There,s a café there and plenty of space for picknicking along the river walk.

Neither place are very quiet though, which is what he's looking for.