What do you make for a quick tea?

I’m feeling a little bit uninspired after work these days

Usually have cooked chicken and salad, or pasta and veg,

Or from the chippy :)

Any better suggestions for stuff to make in 30 mins?

If you make the dough before you go to work and leave it in a cool place you could make home made soup with bread rolls in less than half an hour.

Or you could put a slow cooker of stew, casserole, soup, home made baked beans or chilli on before work and come home to it all being ready to eat.

Stir fry is really quick to do, and if you cook rice the night before and leave it in the fridge over night you could do egg fried rice to go with it.

Lasagne would warm up in half an hour if you pre-cooked it in half an hour as would moussaka, and a raw but previously put together and chilled pie would cook in that time too.

one I do quite a lot that goes down well at our house when time / effort is a factor...

fry strips of chicken with peppers, onions & garlic in olive oil

frazzle in spice combination of cumin, coriander, Kashmiri chilli powder, hot chilli powder (or cayenne), salt & pepper and a decent blob of Greek yoghurt

serve on warm tortilla with salad, coriander, lemon juice & drizzle of olive oil

eat with your fingers

takes 10 minutes to cook & 1 minute to eat!

A quick Carbonara using just eggs, spaghetti and bacon. Or if I'm really lazy, some rice with Chorizo mixed in.

A quick Carbonara using just eggs, spaghetti and bacon. Or if I'm really lazy, some rice with Chorizo mixed in.

Did that on Saturday using pancetta plus some fresh parsley. Must have taken all of 10 minutes and it was lovely.

I usually like to take my time when I'm cooking but on the nights when I'm going out I like to eat quick and simple.

Tonight was cheese, pepper and mushroom omelette.

An old favourite used to be sausage and pepper pasta, cook the sausage, fry some peppers, cook pasta, chop up sausage, mix together. Sometimes I'd grate a bit of cheese on top or stir in a few bashed cherry tomatoes.

Both couscous and polenta only take minutes to make, add a piece of fried fish and veg and that would do me.

A Chinese-style vegetable stir fry (with a handful of cooked prawns and or/chicken thrown in if you like), served with plain boiled noodles and splashed with a bit of chilli oil, a bit of soy sauce and a bit of oyster sauce, is just about my quickest "healthy option". A bowl of pasta, with any kind of home-made vegetable-based sauce and bit of grated cheese, is quick and easy and reasonably healthy, as is any kind of omelette or frittata, served with bit of salad and a bit of crusty bread or garlic bread.

When I'm being a bit less health-conscious, I do bacon, fried eggs, beans and (heavily buttered) toast.....and when I'm being really unhealthy I still sometimes resort to the chippie....the local Indian or Chinese takeaway..... or (God forbid).....the very occasional doner kebab.....aaaaaarrrrgh!!!

:D

I was in a chippy some time ago, and the assistant was slicing meat for a kebab, it reminded me of shaving your legs..............yuk gross!!!!!!

Crikey scousemouse - I wouldn't want to be around when you shave your legs - not if you use one of those big, lethal doner kebab-slicing knives! I use a normal Bic disposable razor - and the bathroom still often resembles an abbatoir when I've finished! God only knows what damage I'd manage to inflict on myself if I used a kebab-slicing knife!

:D:D:D

....................I don't shave my legs, I have them waxed!! Plus I have got to the age when I don't need to have that done very often either!!!!!!!!!! (but your reply made me laugh!)

:D:D:D Your reply made me chuckle too. I'm aso at "that age" you speak of! In fact, rather than shaving or waxing my leg hairs, I'm thinking of dyeing them - just to hide the rapidly encroaching grey! (I'd better stop this amusing conversation with you now....before I get told off for banging on about non-food related stuff on the foodies forum)