Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

I tripped over the Obelisk monument in Endcliffe park

Perhaps I should ask for that to be removed :rolleyes:

My mum is registered blind, that's the point I was making, about disabled people.

why are they being felled in fitzalan square ?

Freedom of information request it? :)

and more to the point why has this not been more publicised and what do the council say about this ?

Because SCC are a bunch of blithering idiots :nod:

is it anything to do with the refurb of the old post office ?

There is absolutely NO REASON for these trees to come down

Other than our lame council are so behind the times

That they have absolutely NO IDEA what their duty of care is

To Sheffield's old trees :rant:

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 23:09 ----------

My mum is registered blind, that's the point I was making, about disabled people

We cannot chop down all of Sheffield's old trees

Just because your mother is blind Ghozer

That's just ridiculous!!

Surely you must see that?

Is that even what she wants?!

why are they being felled in fitzalan square ? and more to the point why has this not been more publicised and what do the council say about this ? is it anything to do with the refurb of the old post office ?

One of the four trees has already gone. What remains of it lies on the pavement behind the barriers erected by Amey to "protect" the site. I'm guessing that work to remove the other three will resume this morning.

According to Amey they are causing damage to "surrounding structures" and/or/pavements. Don't take my word for it...go and see for yourself.

There is some movement of the huge stone blocks that form the surrounds to the trees but it is minimal...it is repairable without harming the trees which have been there over 50 years.

Given the amount of traffic through Fitzalan Square in buses and taxis alone I shudder to think of the increase in air pollution once they are all gone.

Add to this the impact on the ambience of the square and IMO this is an act of corporate vandalism to protect future profits for Amey...all aided and abetted by this City Council!

Old trees are gone for good

CANNOT BE REPLACED

Oh give over, where do you think old trees come from? They can be and are replaced, by planting new trees.

Oh give over, where do you think old trees come from? They can be and are replaced, by planting new trees.

What do you envisage happening to the environment during the time it takes a sapling to mature to the level of a 50+ year old tree?

---------- Post added 17-08-2015 at 13:41 ----------

My mum is registered blind, that's the point I was making, about disabled people.

It's a valid point! :thumbsup:

I'm still trying to fathom your idea of "moving a tree" though. Please explain for me.

What do you envisage happening to the environment during the time it takes a sapling to mature to the level of a 50+ year old tree?

The environment of Sheffield?

Relatively little, considering the vast numbers of mature trees in close proximity to our roads and residences.

The environment of Sheffield?

Relatively little, considering the vast numbers of mature trees in close proximity to our roads and residences.

It's the trees removed from roadsides that are not replaced in the same place that are the most important.

Now...you accused me of rudeness a while ago and to avoid a recurrence I'm going to ask you politely for any data you have used to say, "relatively little."

Let me give you a scenario to ponder too. Imagine the 2000+ trees already removed by Amey in the first three years of their contract were still in situ. Do you think the pollution levels would be less...greater...or the same?

It's the trees removed from roadsides that are not replaced in the same place that are the most important.

Now...you accused me of rudeness a while ago and to avoid a recurrence I'm going to ask you politely for any data you have used to say, "relatively little."

Let me give you a scenario to ponder too. Imagine the 2000+ trees already removed by Amey in the first three years of their contract were still in situ. Do you think the pollution levels would be less...greater...or the same?

Proximity to the sources of pollution will always make a tree more or "most" important.

How that importance changes in relative terms as you move away from the roadside is small.

Whilst I do not have the exact figure to hand it is widely acknowledged that Sheffield has well over 2 million trees.

What proportion of these are mature?

Estimates indicate 41% Semi Mature & 17% Mature & 0.3% Over Mature.

So 1,166,000 full crown trees? let's err on the conservative side and say 1 million.

What percentage of Amey's 2,000 'removed' trees were productive, full crowns?

I don't know, but even if it was all of them, they would represent only 0.2% of the total full crown trees in Sheffield.

Things have to be kept in proportion.

I would suggest that Fitzalan Square has a greater need of their 4 trees than Rustling Road has of all 12.

I do believe that if Sheffield's officers had anything close to a Tree Management Policy and an adequate Tree Management Plan all such detailed information and calculations should be vital components.

It is negligent that they don't.

Edited by cgksheff

Proximity to the sources of pollution will always make a tree more or "most" important.

How that importance changes in relative terms as you move away from the roadside is small.

Whilst I do not have the exact figure to hand it is widely acknowledged that Sheffield has well over 2 million trees.

What proportion of these are mature?

Estimates indicate 41% Semi Mature & 17% Mature & 0.3% Over Mature.

So 1,166,000 full crown trees? let's err on the conservative side and say 1 million.

What percentage of Amey's 2,000 'removed' trees were productive, full crowns?

I don't know, but even if it was all of them, they would represent only 0.2% of the total full crown trees in Sheffield.

Things have to be kept in proportion.

I do believe that if Sheffield's officers had anything close to a Tree Management Policy and an adequate Tree Management Plan all such detailed information and calculations should be vital components.

It is negligent that they don't.

Re my bolds.

1. I agree!

2. I agree again!

A tree management policy is in place but unfortunately it focuses on the negative rather than the positive.

Their plan is based on what they call the six D's.

I'll go through them.

1.Dead

2.Dying

3.Dangerous

4.Diseased

5.Damaging

6.Discriminatory

We asked at a "Tree Forum" meeting at the Town Hall why there were no positives in their strategy and no adequate answers were forthcoming. What we did get was a lot of waffle.

Suffice it to say that this council and Amey do not follow National guidelines for basic best practice in the management and conservation of trees. It is all focussed on finding excuses in a lot of cases to remove rather than maintain.

I will cite Fitzalan Square as a prime example!

As I've mentioned elsewhere the level of pollution in that small square will be severely compromised once the 4 trees are gone. It's a no-brainer once you've stood there for 5 minutes and observed the number of buses, taxis and other traffic that pass.

I will cite Fitzalan Square as a prime example!

As I've mentioned elsewhere the level of pollution in that small square will be severely compromised once the 4 trees are gone. It's a no-brainer once you've stood there for 5 minutes and observed the number of buses, taxis and other traffic that pass.

I made an edit to my post before your reply appeared ..... I totally agree.

We are not talking about 100 year-old trees in Sheffield.

Any good tree manager will have a rolling replacement programme that is constantly removing 50 or 60 year-old trees with young standards.

The fact that a city may have been negligent in not having an adequate rolling replacement programme does not change the fact that some of these old trees have to go.

You are ploughing something of a lone furrow with these opinions.

Academics at both universities, the Woodland Trust and other organisations all provided hard evidence to disprove your statement.

There are many trees in Sheffield that are well over 100 years of age and they are healthy and will double their age if well looked after.

I'm open to be proved wrong.

I made an edit to my post before your reply appeared ..... I totally agree.

The next Tree Forum at the Town Hall is due to take place on the 2nd September. You should attend if it's possible and see for yourself. It's a public meeting so no invite is necessary.

I believe it starts at 5pm.