Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

Because you think you're the only one who's opinion has any validity. You're quite wrong.

Hi Spilldig. For what reason did you want to fell this tree? SCC's website states "We are unable to carry out work where:

• Trees belong to private properties
  • Falling leaves or fruit are causing an annoyance
  • Falling blossom, sap or bird droppings are causing an annoyance
  • Trees are blocking light or causing shade
  • Trees are obstructing telephone wires (contact your telephone service provider)
  • Trees are obstructing TV or satellite reception
  • We do not remove trees for construction or widening of driveways"

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 13:30 ----------

To replace the ecosystem services of ONE large crowned street tree, you would need to plant the equivalent of 60 street saplings. Sheffield's large crowned street trees are therefore NOT being 'replaced'.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here?

Please explain to me, how you 'grow' another 100 yr old tree overnight, Cyclone? Where can I buy one? :)

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 13:42 ----------

It is Amey that is responsible for all the sickly and dead saplings all around the city. That have not been watered or properly cared for - Meadowhead roundabout, Derek Dooley way, Furnival Gate, Furnival Square, Furnival Street. The list goes on and on. Let alone these 1:59 deficient 'replacements' that people are still waiting for, 2 years down the line.

Well 2 3 and 4 for sure but also the pavements are really badly damaged and thick roots are coming through the path which grows through again if you re-tarmac although the path a is affected by moss due to lack of light as well.

I have mentioned it on here but obviously the thread is a very long one now. I have said also that when we moved in here about 44

years ago they were properly maintained.

Edited by spilldig

Local bye laws - pleasure Grounds ( 18 )/(1)

"A person shall not in the pleasure ground except as herein after provided erect any post, rail, fence, pole, tent, booth, stand, building or other structure provided that this prohibition shall not apply where upon an application to the council they grant permission to erect any...."

So not only are these people holding up essential work they're also breaking local bye laws.

"A person shall not in the pleasure ground except as herein after provided erect any post, rail, fence, pole, tent, booth, stand, building or other structure provided that this prohibition shall not apply where upon an application to the council they grant permission to erect any...."

So not only are these people holding up essential work they're also breaking local bye laws.

Unless permission has been granted?

Re my bold above.

How do you know?

Well 2 3 and 4

Which are no reason to fell a healthy mature tree, Spilldig :)

also the pavements are really badly damaged and thick roots are coming through the path which grows through again if you re-tarmac

And there are modern answers for this: http://www.kbiuk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Tree-Surround-Case-Study-LOW-RES.pdf

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 18:47 ----------

So not only are these people holding up essential work they're also breaking local bye laws

Wonderful that you are so concerned about local governance, megalithic. Do you write to Amey and SCC for all the regs that they are currently breaking? :)

The insults are to stop. Otherwise this thread will be locked and suspensions handed out.

Thanks Alison. :)

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 19:19 ----------

Re my bold above.

How do you know?

I know the problems with these trees. I've seen the damage to the paths and kerbs many times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gardener and generally love trees, some even call me a tree hugger :hihi: but these trees need to come down. Imo there's little room for sentiment. The paths are there for all people and should be uniform city wide. There's the problem. Imo.

I know the problems with these trees. I've seen the damage to the paths and kerbs many times

Which are perfectly fixable, using modern methods: http://www.kbiuk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Tree-Surround-Case-Study-LOW-RES.pdf. There is absolutely no need to fell healthy, mature, street trees. Furthermore, it contravenes current best practise guidance and recommendations, as per UK Forestry Standard. Could I ask what qualifications you have megalithic? What kind of continued professional development you do?

There's no reason to use expensive alternative options when this problem can be resolved easily at minimum cost, felling the trees. Trees have come down city wide during these works, there's been little in the way of complaint that I've seen. These trees are in no way special so should be treated in the way all the others have, its that simple.

I don't see the relevance of your question regarding my personal professional development btw.

People should really try not to confuse their 'opinion', with the facts. The facts of the matter here are that there is no strategy, no plans, no design, no protocols to ensure current best practice is specified, implemented, monitored, enforced, reviewed & revised. It really IS a cowboy approach to tree management – you could get away with it in the 80s & 90s, but there really is no excuse now that we are all online & info is readily available & communication so easy. The FOIs that SORT did get responses to, exposed a lot of information that SCC have been hiding. You can understand why officials have avoided any meaningful communication – because for them, all their responses would reflect badly on them. Each response received indicates the opposite of everything they have claimed they did & do.

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 19:53 ----------

There's no reason to use expensive alternative options when this problem can be resolved easily at minimum cost, felling the trees. Trees have come down city wide during these works, there's been little in the way of complaint that I've seen. These trees are in no way special so should be treated in the way all the others have, its that simple.

I don't see the relevance of your question regarding my personal professional development btw.

Because you are voicing your opinion, and giving it as fact. Which is simply not the case. And if you want to state things so confidently, then you need to have the qualifications to back that up. Currently you don't. All you appear to have done thus far, is repeatedly hurl insults at campaigners, then complain when your offensive posts are removed. It does not paint you in a great light, I'm afraid.

---------- Post added 21-10-2015 at 19:55 ----------

And you still have not answered my question - do you write to Amey and SCC to complain about all of the regs that they are currently breaking?

Edited by Mindfulness