Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

Calm down dear, don't get your knickers in a twist so quickly and don't wind up people who are on your side.

I thought that it was interesting and a great example of people putting their money and time where their mouth is.

You certainly have mastered the art of patronising comments. ;)

Thanks for your support.

---------- Post added 16-09-2015 at 09:29 ----------

The report on Look North last night regarding this was laughable.

Some folk really do have too much spare time on their hands.

As you have just proved.

Glad to see the are some courageous people protecting our trees.

Glad to see the are some courageous people protecting our trees.

I do hope none of the protesters are car owners.

I had a walk on Rustlings Road at the weekend and was appalled at the state of the pavements near to where these trees are to be felled, looking at the damage these trees should have been cut down years ago. What also confounded me is why hasn't any of the 'keep the trees brigade' tidied up the base of these trees where they are overgrown!

I had a walk on Rustlings Road at the weekend and was appalled at the state of the pavements near to where these trees are to be felled, looking at the damage these trees should have been cut down years ago. What also confounded me is why hasn't any of the 'keep the trees brigade' tidied up the base of these trees where they are overgrown!

Hi, In cities around the country damage to pavements is remedied in ways that do not involve the removal of trees. There is a raft of sensitive engineering solutions which are used...but not in this city.

The state of the pavements in widespread areas across this city has had as much to do with years of council neglect to address the problem as it has to do with trees. How many pavements do you see in bad states of repair where no trees exist!

The council has a duty to maintain areas around the base of trees and elsewhere so perhaps you might feel less "confounded" if you were to direct your comments directly to them.

Isnt the whole point of the tree replacement to ensure Sheffield has its trees in the future?

As some point, to ensure there are tree lined streets for the next few generations new trees need to be planted. Doesn't someone have to endure the smaller saplings for this to happen?

Everyone likes looking at a nice mature tree and understands the good it does for the environment but aren't we all looking at this a little selfishly, isnt this a chance for the council to future proof the greenness of Sheffield?

Isnt the whole point of the tree replacement to ensure Sheffield has its trees in the future?

As some point, to ensure there are tree lined streets for the next few generations new trees need to be planted. Doesn't someone have to endure the smaller saplings for this to happen?

Everyone likes looking at a nice mature tree and understands the good it does for the environment but aren't we all looking at this a little selfishly, isnt this a chance for the council to future proof the greenness of Sheffield?

The future has to be planned sustainably. This means a programme of gradual replacement not the wholesale felling taking place now.

Tell me what you think happens when 13+ trees are removed from one street at one time. What happens to the levels of pollution on that street, what happens to the biodiversity on that street, what happens to the general health and well being of residents on that street?

When you've answered those I have more questions too. :)

The future has to be planned sustainably. This means a programme of gradual replacement not the wholesale felling taking place now.

Tell me what you think happens when 13+ trees are removed from one street at one time. What happens to the levels of pollution on that street, what happens to the biodiversity on that street, what happens to the general health and well being of residents on that street?

When you've answered those I have more questions too. :)

In an ideal world of endless money then yes, with the current budgets once you accept things needs replacing why not replace them all at once when you are already working on the road, there is no doubt that this is the most efficient way of doing it. This efficiency will also help to reduce the levels of pollution on the street as well as reducing the disturbance for those actually living on the street.

In an ideal world of endless money then yes, with the current budgets once you accept things needs replacing why not replace them all at once when you are already working on the road, there is no doubt that this is the most efficient way of doing it. This efficiency will also help to reduce the levels of pollution on the street as well as reducing the disturbance for those actually living on the street.

Re my bold above.

"No doubt" in your mind perhaps. There are financial variables here that you, like many others, are conveniently overlooking.

Trees with medium and large size crowns are the very trees that provide millions of pounds worth of ecosystem services each year, as evidenced by the Forestry Commission's assessment of these services in Edinburgh, Torbay and London using i-tree software, as well as a raft of similar research abroad.

As air pollution levels in Sheffield continue to rise from industrial emissions and increasing use of cars childhood respiratory diseases are amongst the highest in the country. Sheffield records in excess of 500 premature deaths annually from this pollution and costs the local economy £160 million pounds a year.

According to DEFRA, these pollutants cause heart and breathing problems, particularly amongst the elderly...and this costs the NHS £9.1 - £21.4 BILLION per year.

Do you still argue that council policy is cost effective?

Cutting trees down such as you describe will INCREASE pollution not reduce it. That is inverted logic on a grand scale and is completely unsupportable evidentially! Please feel at liberty to point out where I have got that wrong and I will apologise unreservedly.

Sorry cant be with you but you have my support. Democracy must be seen to work!

Hi, In cities around the country damage to pavements is remedied in ways that do not involve the removal of trees. There is a raft of sensitive engineering solutions which are used...but not in this city.

The state of the pavements in widespread areas across this city has had as much to do with years of council neglect to address the problem as it has to do with trees. How many pavements do you see in bad states of repair where no trees exist!

The council has a duty to maintain areas around the base of trees and elsewhere so perhaps you might feel less "confounded" if you were to direct your comments directly to them.

You are truly unbelievable! I have a cherry tree outside my house and I give it a quick trim when required, this way it does not cause an obstruction and looks neat and tidy, it takes me all of five minutes. As for directing my comments on here, forgive me but I thought this was a message board!

You are truly unbelievable! I have a cherry tree outside my house and I give it a quick trim when required, this way it does not cause an obstruction and looks neat and tidy, it takes me all of five minutes. As for directing my comments on here, forgive me but I thought this was a message board!

Re my bold.

Flattery will get you nowhere! ;)

Your worthy efforts in trimming your bush are to be commended but that does not detract from what I said of the council's responsibility to maintain roadside trees.

I did not say you were not allowed to comment on here by the way...read it again. And I do forgive you...it's all part of the rich and varied service we Swamis are more than delighted to provide. :D