Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

My first contribution to this matter.....

Whilst I don't want to dismiss people's strong views on this matter. I just wish as much time/energy which is being spent on the tree debate was also going into another SCC responsibility, adult social care. Which in the current climate is having a much more significant impact on vulnerable people's lives than whether trees are cut.

I live at Rivelin and the trees on our road were bought by the residents when the houses were built (all gorgeous flowering cherry trees). When they did our pavements/ roads. They took all the trees out bar one. They said they were gonna replace them but that was just a lie. They have concrete over where they were. It's disgusting they weren't theirs to remove and cost the residents a lot of money back in the late 50's

Sorry to hear this Thursday :(. I know how bereft the residents on your street must all be feeling. SCC and Amey have acted in an abominable fashion. Could I suggest that you try and help your neighbours across Sheffield to do what they can to save their trees. Together, everyone's voice becomes louder :)

I live at Rivelin and the trees on our road were bought by the residents when the houses were built (all gorgeous flowering cherry trees). When they did our pavements/ roads. They took all the trees out bar one. They said they were gonna replace them but that was just a lie. They have concrete over where they were. It's disgusting they weren't theirs to remove and cost the residents a lot of money back in the late 50's

Was the tree removal as part of the current Streets ahead scheme? If so , they say they will replant at certain times of year (November to March, I think, - it is on the SCC website). Have they already missed this last winter? If so, I suggest you formally ask them what they are doing about providing the replacements they promised. it may not be as pleasant as the mature trees that you had, but better than nothing.

Hi Swami - if you could dig out those FOI responses and publish them somewhere public and accessible, that would be really useful, cheers.

Being able to to find them only by joining a facebook group and trawling through posts made to the group does not count as really accessible and public I'm afraid.

PS Can't send you a PM because your inbox is full; the site returns this error message:

Hello vincentb, many apologies for the delay in replying. Please bear with me. I've contacted the people who submitted the FOI requests and am awaiting responses.

Maybe you could begin by reading the editorial from last Saturday's Sheffield Star. The experience they write of is what you will get back from me once I get permission to publish. As my own submissions are in the process of appeal to the Information Commisioner it is still sub judice.

Thankyou for your patience.

PS. My inbox is now empty.

Edited by Lotusflower
Afterthought.

Hey Swami and friends. Your dedication in saving the trees is much appreciated and if any support is needed, please post on here.

Hello vincentb, many apologies for the delay in replying. Please bear with me. I've contacted the people who submitted the FOI requests and am awaiting responses.

Maybe you could begin by reading the editorial from last Saturday's Sheffield Star. The experience they write of is what you will get back from me once I get permission to publish. As my own submissions are in the process of appeal to the Information Commisioner it is still sub judice.

Thankyou for your patience.

PS. My inbox is now empty.

I'm still waiting for permission but maybe you would like to refer to today's letters page in the Sheffield Star.

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 20:48 ----------

Hey Swami and friends. Your dedication in saving the trees is much appreciated and if any support is needed, please post on here.

Thanks a lot, it's much appreciated.

Have you seen the STAG page on Facebook?

I'm still waiting for permission but maybe you would like to refer to today's letters page in the Sheffield Star.

---------- Post added 04-09-2015 at 20:48 ----------

Thanks a lot, it's much appreciated.

Have you seen the STAG page on Facebook?

Hey, I don't have Facebook, but will look for initiatives on here. Again, your dedication is much appreciated.

Edited by stressconsul

Here is some important information for anyone out there who sees a notice forewarning of tree felling in a street near them.

The Council are under a water tight PFI contract with Amey.

Amey has a Duty of Care to the council - the Council has a Duty of Care to tax payers- ergo Amey have a duty of care to the tax payers.

In their notices it actually asks you to contact them if you have any concerns about that specific felling. You will find this in the top left hand corner of the notice.

Therefore if you write to them emphasising that the tree should not be felled till your concerns have been answered - remembering they have a legal obligation to reply in full. Then they have to put the work on hold - if they don't they are in breach of that duty of care.

Bury them in paper - demand answers, tell them in detail why a tree isn't obstructing a path or a road so they have to answer you in detail - there are no laws that say a path has to be over a set width or flat or free from leaves.

They really haven't got a leg to stand on and it's time they were told.

So - if you are thinking of talking to the council about saving your tree -

- Ask to see the risk assessment.

- Check the actual degree of root damage and ask them how it has been assessed as outside tolerances

- Ask what considerations have been given to kerb reprofiling, thinner kerbs etc.

- Ask to see the technical, engineering reasons why it is necessary to fell rather than use ramping.

- Ask what consultation has been done with SCC Access officers if it is judged to be 'discriminatory'.

Ask until you get answers.

This information comes courtesy of Sheffield Trees Action Group. Find them on Facebook by typing in STAG or contact by email at sheffieldtreesactiongroup@yahoo.co.uk

Remember...once your trees are gone they are gone for a generation!

Don't believe the rubbish about like for like replanting because it's a load of hogwash!

Seems to me that there is a too cosy relationship between the council and Amey and whatever Amey want's to do is rubber stamped. Any FOI claims are dismissed on the old chestnut of "commercial sensitivity".

If this was just a handful of trees I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.....but this is tree removal on a massive scale with no consideration given to the environmental damage done by removing mature trees and replacing with saplings/immature trees.

I seriously doubt the qualifications of Amey's expert arboriculturist. I suspect his subjects were more like project management or logistics. Happy to be proved wrong if someone can tell us who he actually is.

According to following article the tree on Western Road, is in a state of decay,

well I'm sure someone will be only to willing to show where this decay is!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/fury-as-sheffield-war-heroes-tree-to-be-felled-1-7445136

Hello Mikes10, Will you please PM me when you read this. Thanks!

Here is some important information for anyone out there who sees a notice forewarning of tree felling in a street near them.

The Council are under a water tight PFI contract with Amey.

Amey has a Duty of Care to the council - the Council has a Duty of Care to tax payers- ergo Amey have a duty of care to the tax payers.

In their notices it actually asks you to contact them if you have any concerns about that specific felling. You will find this in the top left hand corner of the notice.

Therefore if you write to them emphasising that the tree should not be felled till your concerns have been answered - remembering they have a legal obligation to reply in full. Then they have to put the work on hold - if they don't they are in breach of that duty of care.

Bury them in paper - demand answers, tell them in detail why a tree isn't obstructing a path or a road so they have to answer you in detail - there are no laws that say a path has to be over a set width or flat or free from leaves.

They really haven't got a leg to stand on and it's time they were told.

So - if you are thinking of talking to the council about saving your tree -

- Ask to see the risk assessment.

- Check the actual degree of root damage and ask them how it has been assessed as outside tolerances

- Ask what considerations have been given to kerb reprofiling, thinner kerbs etc.

- Ask to see the technical, engineering reasons why it is necessary to fell rather than use ramping.

- Ask what consultation has been done with SCC Access officers if it is judged to be 'discriminatory'.

Ask until you get answers.

This information comes courtesy of Sheffield Trees Action Group. Find them on Facebook by typing in STAG or contact by email at sheffieldtreesactiongroup@yahoo.co.uk

Remember...once your trees are gone they are gone for a generation!

Don't believe the rubbish about like for like replanting because it's a load of hogwash!

Oh great, just waste a whole load of tax payers money why don't you.

This silly protest is pure selfishness.