Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

Noticed another tree to come down on Langsett Road tonight. The excuse was that it was damaging pavements and or structures. Not buying it.

When I worked in the Parks and Woodlands department they had a proper qualified arboriculturist who assessed every tree to be removed or cut back.

I have little faith Amey are employing someone similar.

Noticed another tree to come down on Langsett Road tonight. The excuse was that it was damaging pavements and or structures. Not buying it.

When I worked in the Parks and Woodlands department they had a proper qualified arboriculturist who assessed every tree to be removed or cut back.

You and me mate

And thousands of other Sheffielders :thumbsup:

Amey must be stopped :mad:

I can now inform you that after a very well attended meeting earlier this evening at the Heeley Institute an umbrella organisation was formed to insist that Sheffield City Council adopt a positive tree strategy and that they expedite the process. As part of the group's aims an immediate moratorium should be called on the felling of all trees that do not fit the council's first three D's...namely, Dead, Diseased or Dangerous.

"Talking shops" such as Terry Fox's Tree Forum are a farce, focussing as they do on notification and no consultation!

The new umbrella group is called SHEFFIELD TREES ACTION GROUP...STAG.

I know that Amey and councillors read these tree threads and my message to them is that they should take particular notice of the word "ACTION!"

We are fed up of losing trees that DO NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED!

I can now inform you that after a very well attended meeting earlier this evening at the Heeley Institute an umbrella organisation was formed to insist that Sheffield City Council adopt a positive tree strategy and that they expedite the process. As part of the group's aims an immediate moratorium should be called on the felling of all trees that do not fit the council's first three D's...namely, Dead, Diseased or Dangerous.

"Talking shops" such as Terry Fox's Tree Forum are a farce, focussing as they do on notification and no consultation!

The new umbrella group is called SHEFFIELD TREES ACTION GROUP...STAG.

I know that Amey and councillors read these tree threads and my message to them is that they should take particular notice of the word "ACTION!"

We are fed up of losing trees that DO NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED!

COME ON SWAMI!! :D

WHOOOPPP!!!

:clap:

The Wildlife Trust's view

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 23:54 ----------

And why it's not just happening in Sheffield ...Amey again!

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 23:55 ----------

Amey......not always reliable

That last article is a good find :thumbsup:

Amey really are the biggest bunch of useless idiots :shakes:

The Wildlife Trust's view

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 23:54 ----------

And why it's not just happening in Sheffield ...Amey again!

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 23:55 ----------

Amey......not always reliable

A representative from the Wildlife Trust was at the meeting last night.

SORT update: "When it became apparent that all trees that caused even minor disruption to pavements and kerbs would be felled on the basis that they represented a trip hazard, an active campaign to challenge policy sprang in to action (SORT). Full details can be found online at Prof Ian Rotherham’s Blog (August section).

Campaigners demanded a stop to all non-urgent felling until a tree strategy had been drafted in accordance with current best practice and adopted as Council policy. After a month, in response to >10,000 signature petition, the Labour Council agreed to produce a tree strategy, in fulfilment of their 5yo policy commitment. At this point, the Council claimed that such trees had to be felled, in accordance with the Disability Discrimination Act and the Equalities Act, as they were “discriminatory”: claiming they hinder accessibility and mobility. The Council claimed felling was a reasonable response, as required by the Acts, and that there were no other reasonably practicable solutions. For every tree felled, just ONE is planted. Between August 2012 & July 2015, 2,019 street trees were felled. The felling continues until 2018. FOI request responses have revealed that:

1) NO risk assessments of hazards associated with trees are done by either the Council or Amey – despite repeatedly claiming in local media, that this is the reason for felling;

2) The Council & Amey have only ONE set of highway engineering specifications, used for all streets, regardless of whether or not there are existing trees: no alternative specifications have been commissioned or drafted;

3) There is NO valuation of ANY ecosystem services;

4) There is NO STRATEGY for tree management for the duration of the PFI contract;

5) There is NO MANAGEMENT PLAN for all trees on the road (long established & new/proposed);

6) There is no constitution for Cllr Fox’s Highway Trees Advisory Forum (nor has one been presented to key stakeholder representatives for consultation and approval);

We hope that the Council and Amey will stop all tree planting and non-urgent felling until a city-wide tree strategy is adopted as Council policy. We hope this will include a commitment to ensure that balanced assessments are completed by competent people using current, recognised, appropriate and adequate widely accepted methods, prior to decision making. We hope it will help inform decisions and to ensure that all acts and omissions are proportionate and not unduly influenced by those with vested interests, or by transitory opinions. We hope the tree strategy will be drafted in accordance with current best practice and that it will help ensure a planned, systematic, integrated approach to highway tree management. We hope it will help ensure an honest, open and transparent approach, and that it will be used to guide and inform decisions. With a strategy for community involvement at its heart, and review and revision at planned and appropriate intervals, and inclusion of full detail of organisational structure and of accountability at all levels, we hope that the tree strategy will help ensure a sustainable, consistent approach to management of OUR urban forest"

Edited by Mindfulness

I was glad to sign the petition but I was annoyed that I was immediately asked for money, I just hope I don't start to get begging emails.

The begging box is never far from the clipboard.

It shows what you know. ;)

It was the council's arborculturists that did the survey of every tree in the city to include in the tender that Amey won.

You could do a Freedom Of Information request to get a copy.

Then there is this http://www.elliottconsultancy.com/sheffield-city-highways-tree-survey

Edited by Eric Arthur

It shows what you know. ;)

It was the council's arborculturists that did the survey of every tree in the city to include in the tender that Amey won.

You could do a Freedom Of Information request to get a copy.

Then there is this http://www.elliottconsultancy.com/sheffield-city-highways-tree-survey

Re my bold.

Hoist by your own petard!

The link is 8 years old for a start.

Freedom of Information Requests have been submitted by a number of people and have all proved fruitless. Here's a clue for you...read the editorial column from yesterday's Star newspaper.

I don't want to start a personal war of words with you Eric.

I do have to tell you though that I'm not entirely convinced at this stage that you didn't just wanted to come on here and say something...which is not the same as having something to say.

If I have misjudged you or misunderstood you I apologise. You have every opportunity to prove my suspicions wrong. :)

What petard are you on about? All the trees were surveyed before Amey won the tender. I'll accept your apology in advance since I'm trying to help.

It's very possible that the campaign is aiming at the wrong thing - trees!

Looking at negotiations between the council and Amey for post contract award cost savings might be more fruitful.

IF I'm right, focussing on perfectly good, logical, and sometimes emotional facts about trees, pavements, access, etc. is interesting but it is missing the point because IF I'm right, the trees are just collateral damage in the council's desire to find financial savings, or Ameys to offer them and pocket a bit of them for themselves. Money is what's important to the council in 2015, not trees, so any logical points about preserving trees goes over their head.

It's standard procedure in any large contract and although I don't know what is in the Amey contract I'd be very surprised if there isn't any option to save money by negotiation. How the campaign deals with it needs a bit of thinking about. Breaking FOI requests into lots of smaller and very specific questions is a good start.

In a battle you need to understand the enemy, not their smokescreen. ;)

Edited by Eric Arthur