Save the 12 Trees on Rustlings Road - Please sign Petition

What is the long term effect of pollarding? What is the impact on those trees that have already been pol larded?

You need to very clear what you are talking about when referring to"pollarding".

So the modern approach is:

3. Watering saplings for 2 years after planting. Amey are not currently doing this - hence the 25% death rate for saplings.

Hi Mindfulness - I don't think you can assume that what is appropriate in eastern Australia is also the right approach in Sheffield, a city with a very different climate.

You need to very clear what you are talking about when referring to"pollarding".

This link may help.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/road-maintenance-and-cleaning/trees-grass-and-vegetation/trees-and-shrubs-near-roads/pollarding-tree-pruning

---------- Post added 24-08-2015 at 13:10 ----------

Hi Mindfulness - I don't think you can assume that what is appropriate in eastern Australia is also the right approach in Sheffield, a city with a very different climate.

This is a little closer to home and doesn't exactly stray that far from what happens on the other side of the globe.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/road-maintenance-and-cleaning/trees-grass-and-vegetation/trees-and-shrubs-near-roads/frequently-asked-questions-about-trees-next-to-the-road

Hi Vincent. OK, how else do you explain the wilting of new saplings, 25% death rate and general lack of thriving? Also, WHO are supposed to be using the little black water spouts that are left at the base of these new saplings like obsolete ornaments? SOMEONE is supposed to be watering these thirsty young trees! Currently, no-one has seen Amey watering them - so WHOSE JOB IS IT??

With regard to my post #76, a tree at the top of Western Rd has been marked for removal.

With regard to my post #76, a tree at the top of Western Rd has been marked for removal.

Hi Mike, Is it the Funeral Director end of the road or the opposite direction?

Hi Mike, Is it the Funeral Director end of the road or the opposite direction?

Next to the Funeral Directors Tomlinson & Windley

Next to the Funeral Directors Tomlinson & Windley

The photograph on Google Street View is probably quite old so it's difficult to use it for precise examination. I can see some disruption of the pavement but it is minimal and would certainly be remedied with simple engineering solutions used by many other cities that have positive tree strategies in place.

If the displacement has become more severe since the Street View cameras passed by then obviously a closer inspection would be necessary.

On all the evidence and experience I have had since becoming involved in the various campaigns I would not be trusting Amey or the council.

Does the tree have any notice on it giving the reasons for the proposed removal? If it has become diseased that would negate what I've said above.

Pollarding is an acceptable form of urban tree management ...

.... when it is used as a management objective from establishment, not as a term for high tree pruning.

Here is a link to current best practice guidance:

http://www.treesforcities.org/about-us/information-resources/best-practice-guidelines/

Look under Best Practice Street Trees:

"The maintenance will need to water the tree regularly throughout

the growing season (all year round in the case of evergreen trees)

for at least the first two or three years"

How other councils manage their street trees:

"Brisbane's street trees are estimated to be returning $1.67m each year in air quality, rainfall interception, carbon storage and sequestration benefits, and $29.7m in residential property value benefits (measured using i-Tree ECO V5 in 2011)"

I’m interested in the part that mature trees contribute to rainfall interception as flash flooding is an increasing problem in our cities.

Are there any figures that compare interception by trees to the fast quantities of water run off due to the current practice of paving over grass verges and front gardens to create hardstanding for motor vehicles?

What I’m getting at is would we be better off simply preventing more grass areas from being paved over or at least install more porous / permeable paving?

Has anyone done the numbers?

I’m interested in the part that mature trees contribute to rainfall interception as flash flooding is an increasing problem in our cities.

Are there any figures that compare interception by trees to the fast quantities of water run off due to the current practice of paving over grass verges and front gardens to create hardstanding for motor vehicles?

What I’m getting at is would we be better off simply preventing more grass areas from being paved over or at least install more porous / permeable paving?

Has anyone done the numbers?

There is a wealth of information on this subject. Just google it and prepare to be inundated. (see what I did there?)

If you are free this evening there's a meeting tonight in Heeley at the Institute starting 7pm. There will be lots of people to speak to personally. :)

---------- Post added 25-08-2015 at 11:06 ----------

There is a wealth of information on this subject. Just google it and prepare to be inundated. (see what I did there?)

If you are free this evening there's a meeting tonight in Heeley at the Institute starting 7pm. There will be lots of people to speak to personally. :)

You may find this useful.

http://www.treeworks.co.uk/downloads/s15speakers/Mark_Johnston_Myerscough_College_Trees_in_Towns_II.pdf