Cyclist vs Bus due to ignoring red light

It has emerged that the cyclist's brake cable had snapped and he was unable to stop, he did try:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/25/bus-driver-defends-cyclist-who-jumped-red-light-and-crashed-5214473/

It would be very foolish for anyone to deliberately run a red light at such a busy junction.

He had only 1 brake? And would rather run into a bus than leap off, run and drop the bike?

Sounds, if not unlikely, a little suspicious to me...

Edit - yes he has only 1 brake... It's a fixy, so the pedals are used to brake the rear wheel, but not all that efficiently... Legal though.

He had only 1 brake? And would rather run into a bus than leap off, run and drop the bike?

Edit - yes he has only 1 brake... It's a fixy, so the pedals are used to brake the rear wheel, but not all that efficiently... Legal though.

Even with a rear brake it's not going to slow you that much...

As for those who I'm sure are just going to pitch in and say he should have maintained it better, things do occassionally break like that. If he kept on top of maintenance then this is about as close you get to a genuine non fault accident as is possible.

Lesson of this thread: don't jump to early conclusions before having a more complete picture of all the facts relating to an event.

I always have a second brake when I ride fixed, but that's more to do with the local terrain. My legs just not strong enough to hold it coming down big hills

there's talk of a badly maintained bike but I snapped a brand new front brake cable when I had to do an emergency stop to avoid a van overtaking a stationary traffic queue so it can happen.

http://nelson-haha.com/

I call BS on the brake cable snapping. He claims:

Thought I’d just get the lights, hence the speed. Realised it wasn’t happening, squeezed the front brake. Cable snapped. Not enough time to lose speed on back wheel in the wet.

It just doesn't add up.

Edited by alchresearch

It just doesn't add up.

When watching the video I couldn't understand why he would plough into the side of the bus.

Considering he may have had minimal brakes at the time, for me it now makes sense.

I had to google it because I thought it was illegal to ride without 2 brakes, but it seems the fixed wheel counts as a back brake.

It is always wise to check your brakes before you set off, but these things can happen without warning. It happened to my manager, both his disc brakes failed on Penistone Road one morning.

whilst it may be legal I would personally view anything with only one effective brake as very dangerous to take out onto the roads

The cyclist is a total idiot. Just look at his location as soon as the lights turn amber, he's miles away from the junction, even when they turn red he's still really nowhere near crossing the solid white line at the lights and still then has something like another 5 or 10 yards before the junction. He was never gunna make it and is very lucky to not have come off a lot worse.

Edited by WageSlave

It just doesn't add up.

It is bs.

It may be true his brake snapped, but he was still peddling whilst it was red, about 6/7 pushes i reckon.

Also it was amber 10 seconds before he hit the bus. He had a looog time and a large distance to stop.

I'd say he only realised it was a no goer when the bus was moving in front of his line of sight.I reckon he braked for about 5/6m.

It's a fixie rear wheel - he wouldn't be able to stop pedalling! Besides that's the only way he has of slowing the bike down.

Ah, I was thinking like a freecoaster hub, but it's like the olympic cycles/ the ones in a spin class?

That seems a very daft sort of bike for city riding if your forward planning is so poor you crash into buses...