Household Waste Recycling Centre - Customer Service!

I've been around a while and seen awful customer service in my time from many different business areas. However, these recycling places are on another level!

They themselves should run courses for other businesses on how to be approachable, how to treat the public, and how to help with a smile. :thumbsup:

I've got rid of a fair amount of rubbish recently at several different recycling centres, and each time the guys working there have been really helpful. Sorting my rubbish out for me, helping me lift the heavier items and giving me friendly directions to the best skip depending on the material I'm getting rid of. So here's a big :thumbsup: to them, well impressed!

I agree entirely with this one :) As a disabled woman I try to take someone with me who is capable of getting stuff up the steps and into the sorting areas, but sometimes it's just impossible to get an able bodied person to go with me during the day, and when I go by myself the staff have always helped me with moving things and getting them up the steps and it's always with a smile.

Why, how many times have they been on strike so far this year? :shocked:

Lol makes it the first year for a bit then! Always seemed to be in the news that they were on strike. I agree though, they are helpful...when the places are open.

• 10 months later...

Sorry but been today to dispose of my garden waste and was told I couldn't take it in. Ok I drive a luton van but parked outside and carried the bags in. Where I was told I couldn't walk into the recycle center due to safety measures and would need to bring it in in a car or other allowed vehicle. So unless you drive an allowed vehicle you cant use the recycle center. This is why there is so much fly tipping. BTW I do not remove waste of any type I leave that up to the guys with the waste licences.

Sorry but been today to dispose of my garden waste and was told I couldn't take it in. Ok I drive a luton van but parked outside and carried the bags in. Where I was told I couldn't walk into the recycle center due to safety measures and would need to bring it in in a car or other allowed vehicle. So unless you drive an allowed vehicle you cant use the recycle center. This is why there is so much fly tipping. BTW I do not remove waste of any type I leave that up to the guys with the waste licences.
that's a bummer then. Ive been to the one at shirecliffe and sometimes there's a queue extending round the estate just to get in. To save time, Ive carried it in. If it now is like you say, I'll either try to somehow get into the black bin or carry it in and when they say "no" just leave it and walk. They can't identify me cos the car will be parked in the estate.

What happens if you just live across the road from Gleadless Valley one and you just carry a bag or two down to the tip? Do they make you go and find someone with a car to bring it for you?

Have to say, I think the total opposite, whenever we've been to GVT, they've been surly and unhelpful. Not to mention hardly ever open, either.