Do Sheffielders see them selves as part of Yorkshire

Trust me, it`s holding us back. Sheffield needs to move forward, visionaries like myself can clearly see what is possible. Greater Sheffield is the way forward.

Are we talking http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CD8QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tootingpopularfront.com%2F&ei=AVFeVfThCovA7Ab-rYKwAg&usg=AFQjCNG8XSdq_eHpFMXSdqhJ-fmra3Rs6g&bvm=bv.93990622,d.ZGU&cad=rja ?

If so comrade I am with you.

Deak - your opinion means nothing, go away and stop running to teacher.

Some interesting views/perspectives posted.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:39 ----------

I never say Yorkshire.

Good points made from Derby & mj. As far as cites go, Sheffield is the largest but has fallen behind Leeds in many ways.

Many do view Sheffield as being in the Midlans.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:40 ----------

*Midlands I should say.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:41 ----------

It`s all about identity and media bias/hype. These are 2 areas we fall behind in.

http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/

Bloody hell, is Leeds where all the immigrants announced today have gone as they seem to have increased by roughly the same amount ? :o

*edit*

Manchester is number 9 ? I would love to see the statistical ******** on this survey :-)

Edited by whiteowl
*edit* Ahh, looked properly

Loiner - how did Leeds population leap from 480k to over 720k in a few years?

The Leeds city population has always been around the same as Sheffield and still is.

The inflated figure covers large towns that are miles outside the city boundarys.

It all depends on what the survey is using as it's basis for the city boundary.

For instance the City of Manchester has a population of just over 500,000 but the conurbation known as Greater Manchester which includes places such as Trafford and Salford has a population of over 2,500,000.

I suspect that the Leeds figures are similar in that if you include places like Morley and other nearby locations then you increase the population figure substantially.

If you use the city boundaries only then Sheffield has a larger population than both Manchester or Leeds.

To clarify.

Manchester is a city.

Greater Manchester is a county.

It all depends on what the survey is using as it's basis for the city boundary.

For instance the City of Manchester has a population of just over 500,000 but the conurbation known as Greater Manchester which includes places such as Trafford and Salford has a population of over 2,500,000.

I suspect that the Leeds figures are similar in that if you include places like Morley and other nearby locations then you increase the population figure substantially.

If you use the city boundaries only then Sheffield has a larger population than both Manchester or Leeds.

To be honest this must be the only Country in Europe that does not actually know the populations of its major Cities. If you look around you can find Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow and Manchester bouncing up and down the ratings like a trampoline. Manchester always feels bigger than Leeds and Sheffield but you can find them as low as 7th on some sites. So you can always find something to support your argument if you try. I suppose it suits the Government to have this ambiguity when they are doling money out or am I just cynical ! I live in Morley and have paid rates to Leeds CC for years and all the services come from there unfortunately, I consider it part of Leeds, however the local politicians don't and it is run by the Morley Borough Independents on Leeds CC. In fact they held the sway of power over the whole of Leeds a few years back because of a narrow Labour majority (and they hate L**ds more than yous lot). Which was quite amusing and we got a new leisure centre out of it :)

Edited by Leeds Loiner

To be honest this must be the only Country in Europe that does not actually know the populations of its major Cities. If you look around you can find Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow and Manchester bouncing up and down the ratings like a trampoline. Manchester always feels bigger than Leeds and Sheffield but you can find them as low as 7th on some sites. So you can always find something to support your argument if you try. I suppose it suits the Government to have this ambiguity when they are doling money out or am I just cynical ! I live in Morley and have paid rates to Leeds CC for years and all the services come from there unfortunately, I consider it part of Leeds, however the local politicians don't and it is run by the Morley Borough Independents on Leeds CC. In fact they held the sway of power over the whole of Leeds a few years back because of a narrow Labour majority (and they hate L**ds more than yous lot). Which was quite amusing and we got a new leisure centre out of it :)

I agree it is a bit strange that there is so much discrepancy between estimates of population in cities and urban conurbations, like you I tend to be sceptical of anything where an element of politics is involved.

Many years ago I used to visit both Leeds and Morley on a regular basis on business.

ASDA HQ was ( and may still be for all I know ) at Morley and I dealt with their security staff.

Yes, being a marginal will tend to get you stuff, whilst being aligned to one party gets you nowt, ignored by one lot and taken for granted by the other lot. :(

We never seem to learn!

I agree it is a bit strange that there is so much discrepancy between estimates of population in cities and urban conurbations, like you I tend to be sceptical of anything where an element of politics is involved.

Many years ago I used to visit both Leeds and Morley on a regular basis on business.

ASDA HQ was ( and may still be for all I know ) at Morley and I dealt with their security staff.

Yes, being a marginal will tend to get you stuff, whilst being aligned to one party gets you nowt, ignored by one lot and taken for granted by the other lot. :(

We never seem to learn!

Ha ha small World I was the postman driver at Asda House they always gave us a drink at Christmas, and told us to buy some shares (God dam didn't believe them!). They are down the City Centre now by the River bit posher than those days. I do Security now and Sheffield 6 times a month. I'd better move on I'm changing your thread ! :o

Loiner - how did Leeds population leap from 480k to over 720k in a few years?

By including Bradford, 'uddersfield, 'alifax, and most of Manchester.

But since L**ds is full of Mancs anyway, nobody noticed the population increasing until it was too late.

The River Sheaf was the ancient boundary between Mercia Kingdom of the Midlands and Northumbria in the north and remained the border between Derbyshire and Yorkshire into the 20th century.

I guess that means the south of Sheffield has its roots in the North Midlands, the North side is in Yorkshire.

To me Sheffield has always represented the boundary between the North Midlands and Yorkshire and has elements of both. Personally it feels to have more in common with North Derbyshire and North Notts and the high Peak than Leeds 35 miles up the road but that comes from someone who moved here from the east Midlands 30 years ago and used to Holiday in the Peak District as a kid.

I guess if I was born a Yorkshireman Id have a different view. Ill ask my son later, Jessop hospital born, if he feels like a Yorkshireman.