Trophy/Big Game Hunting. Killing animals for fun.

Yeah, deffo. Should be in every school's curriculum ... not

Of course not, it would be far too expensive for one and not really needed to educate children to be successful in the adult world.

Lots of things are educational but belong outside of a school curriculum, ones first sexual experience as an example.

Your point was silly.

As I posted to you yesterday (in that erased post), indeed what matters is the fluffiness factor ;): you don't ever see the WWF and others asking people to sponsor a platypus or a hippo pup :hihi:

Actually you are wrong. The Black Rat is very rare in the UK and is almost extinct. It clings on in a few isolated islands, one of which the RSPB own. They wanted to eradicate the black rats to help the puffin population.

Now seeing as puffins on the island were generally doing well, and seeing as black rats are incredibly rare people did actually kick up a fuss about it. Whether they were successful I'm not sure, but it's an example of non-fluffy thinking.

It isn't the fluffiness factor. Most grown ups know that countryside management can involve killing things. I can't for a minute imagine the benefits to the countryside, the environment or the local ecosystem though of killing thousands of skylarks, hoopoes, turtle doves, or anything that can fly

What is "fun" about that?

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 20:35 ----------

I think shooting to kill is a special skill.

There are many things to consider, the quarry, the weapon, the bullet, the terrain, the weather and the taking of the shot.

All these combined to result in the 'switching off' of an animal makes it very satisfying.

Why would you want to "switch off" an animal? Are you some sort of pervert?

How is shooting a big animal with a powerful gun a special skill? You can even hire automatic shotguns to shoot skylarks if you want.

Now going one on one with a bear or tiger without a high powered rifle might get you kudos points, but shooting something with a gun? Pervert.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 20:42 ----------

I was always of the opinion it should be banned until watching a Louis Theroux documentary where he went to visit a game reserve. The owners explained that without the money from game hunters, the land would be used for farming or development.

Yes we should conserve the land for animals anyway.

But we wouldn't.

The hunters themselves were sad though, being driven to watering holes to shoot what in effect is a sitting duck used to human contact, in order to trophy the head home and take photos, for the wall. How pathetic. Not even a achievement.

I still think its wrong, I just think banning it would have a worse consequence.

This argument always comes up. How would you feel if a paedophile was allowed to abuse two children a week in an orphanage in return for a big donation? The donation would enable the orphanage to take more kids in, but then every so often they'd be buggered.

Abusing children is wrong.

Killing animals for fun is wrong.

People shouldn't be able to pay their way out of being a git.

Killing animals is not wrong always.

Abusing children is wrong. Always.

Actually you are wrong. The Black Rat is very rare in the UK and is almost extinct. It clings on in a few isolated islands, one of which the RSPB own. They wanted to eradicate the black rats to help the puffin population.

Now seeing as puffins on the island were generally doing well, and seeing as black rats are incredibly rare people did actually kick up a fuss about it. Whether they were successful I'm not sure, but it's an example of non-fluffy thinking.

It isn't the fluffiness factor. Most grown ups know that countryside management can involve killing things. I can't for a minute imagine the benefits to the countryside, the environment or the local ecosystem though of killing thousands of skylarks, hoopoes, turtle doves, or anything that can fly

What is "fun" about that?

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 20:35 ----------

Why would you want to "switch off" an animal? Are you some sort of pervert?

How is shooting a big animal with a powerful gun a special skill? You can even hire automatic shotguns to shoot skylarks if you want.

Now going one on one with a bear or tiger without a high powered rifle might get you kudos points, but shooting something with a gun? Pervert.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 20:42 ----------

This argument always comes up. How would you feel if a paedophile was allowed to abuse two children a week in an orphanage in return for a big donation? The donation would enable the orphanage to take more kids in, but then every so often they'd be buggered.

Abusing children is wrong.

Killing animals for fun is wrong.

People shouldn't be able to pay their way out of being a git.

I don't know, maybe I am. It gives me a strange tingling sensation.

My moral dilemma was erased - no doubt for very good reason - would anyone care to answer. Obviously I'm not going to repeat it because there must have been something evil in it. I think it was addressed at Bonzo, but tbh I forget.

Don't know what happened there Ron. I was given a suspension for using inappropriate language?! I didn't mean to aim my comments at you or anyone on here, apologies if that's how it sounded.

I am fairly sure BoJo will have little impact on the laws of most African countries.

I suppose he could ban the importation of trophies.

On 28/07/2019 at 20:27, gaz 786 said:

Maybe Boris Johnson will have a say in the so called sport of trophy hunting you never know! 

Probably offer a hunting trip as a prize to anyone who votes for him at the next GE.

47 minutes ago, taxman said:

Apparentley its now "big man" style to shoot puffins.

Then pose with the 100 or so you've just shot.

You've just shot a lot of small endangered seabirds...Big Man! Big Man!!

Somewhere else off my travel list.

If you want to kill something, kill something that’s a pest, not one where the numbers have dropped by 2m in a decade. I’m not even sure what the sport is? 

19 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Somewhere else off my travel list.

If you want to kill something, kill something that’s a pest, not one where the numbers have dropped by 2m in a decade. I’m not even sure what the sport is? 

I agree all shooting in Africa of the endangered species should be stopped even if they are farmed and bred for the purpose. same goes for any pest they have there.

any pest animal like foxes in the uk should be hunted ,trapped or shot.

8 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

any pest animal like foxes in the uk should be hunted ,trapped or shot.

What harm do foxes do?

44 minutes ago, Halibut said:

What harm do foxes do?

They can do alot of damage to chicken farm. I worked at a farm briefly where Mr fox was nabbing several chickens until Mr Fox had a short sharp conversation with the farmer and his shotgun. No hounds or a load of landed gentry on horses messing up the countryside required. Rats, wood pigeons, and no doubt a few others. A wild boar shot which ends up for the table i cant get too worried about. It would have had a better life than a factory farmed pig.

Hundreds of puffins that end up where, in the bin? Why?