Trophy/Big Game Hunting. Killing animals for fun.

I agree but we can't really judge, as the first posters did, whilst millions of us partake in the slaughter of millions of animals daily.

I think we can, because Elephants are quantatively more sentient than anything we eat. They are far too intelligent to treat that way, its disgusting.

For the record, I don't think we should kill, or keep in captivity Elephants, apes, and cetaceans, I think that they, and we are better than other animals because of our intelligence.

Edited by flamingjimmy

What exactly makes any of you whining meat eaters better than the man in the article?

The fact that we don't harm elephants for pleasure.

Also, I'd argue that taking pleasure from the actual killing is morally worse than taking pleasure from a by product of killing, even though they have the same practical effect.

I’m happy that our ancestors started to eat meat because it’s what made humans smarter. I’m more than happy to continue eating it and killing other life forms which is part of the natural world around us. Killing for fun does however seem a little pointless.

I think we can, because Elephants are quantatively more sentient than anything we eat. They are far too intelligent to treat that way, its disgusting.

Again, you're being selective about which animals live or die. Have you ever personally met an elephant. What makes it more of a sentient being than a cow or a pig? Have you heard how pigs squeal when you hold them down and come at them with a blade? That seems pretty sentient to me.

You're over sentimentalising it due to likely you watching too many tv programmes about Africa's animals.

If anything people like you are worse than the man in the OP. You think some animals deserve to live more than others due to how you relate with them. Who are you , God?

The fact that we don't harm elephants for pleasure.

Also, I'd argue that taking pleasure from the actual killing is morally worse than taking pleasure from a by product of killing, even though they have the same practical effect.

Meat isn't a by product of killing. It's the reason we kill the animals. We don't need to eat meat to survive. We ultimately kill animals for our selfish pleasures. The man in the OP admits that. You lot won't.

How many parents take the kids to McDonalds for a treat? That's right we also kill animals to give our kids a treat and a toy.

I’m happy that our ancestors started to eat meat because it’s what made humans smarter. I’m more than happy to continue eating it and killing other life forms which is part of the natural world around us. Killing for fun does however seem a little pointless.

Aaah but thems' that do it maintain its the hunter in them...

I’m more than happy to continue eating it and killing other life forms which is part of the natural world around us.

Killing for fun does however seem a little pointless.

Why are you allowed to have animals killed in your name because it makes you happy, yet the hunter isn't allowed to do the same?

Cows weren't in your question but they were in mine. No I haven't seen the film. Are you now going to suggest that because I haven't seen the film I couldn't possibly understand the plight of the elephants? Does Samuel L Jackson eat elephants? Does he kill humans who hunt elephants. You lot are aware he doesn't just shoot elephants aren't you? I think some of you have hung on to the word elephant because you see them as cute animals worthy of saving. You're pushing your emotions onto the elephants.

The fact of the matter is and shall always remain. If you eat animals, which it has been established we don't need to do and we have synthetics which can replace furs, then you're just as bad as this bloke.

You unnecessarily have an animal killed in your name for your own pleasure. We don't eat meat to survive and we don't need furs to survive.

What exactly makes any of you whining meat eaters better than the man in the article?

What's worse is that you likely don't mind the dressing up of meat products so they don't resemble anything like the livestock they are from.

People including a lot of you on this thread kill animals or have them killed for your pleasure. None of us on here are any better than the man in the OP.

Wow you seem an angry man i wasn`t going to suggest anything.

In "unthinkable" there is a choice to make.A man has planted nuclear bombs in several cities and the only way to get him to talk is through his wife and children.The choice is then do you torture and ultimately kill his innocent family to get him to talk or let millions of innocent people die.

Again, you're being selective about which animals live or die.
Yes, I am, unapologetically.

Have you ever personally met an elephant.
Yes

What makes it more of a sentient being than a cow or a pig?
Their intelligence and social relationships.

Have you heard how pigs squeal when you hold them down and come at them with a blade? That seems pretty sentient to me.
Oh I'm sure they're in distress, but I do not believe they are capable of the same kind of distress as the more intelligent creatures.

You're over sentimentalising it due to likely you watching too many tv programmes about Africa's animals.
Nope, that's not it.

If anything people like you are worse than the man in the OP. You think some animals deserve to live more than others due to how you relate with them.
Not due to how I relate with them, more to do with how they relate with each other and the world around them.

If you really think the fact that I think some of the more intelligent animals should be given basic rights makes me worse than someone who thinks that no animals should have any rights then... well I don't know what to say, but that's an incredibly silly position and I suspect you're taking it just to be contrary.

Aaah but thems' that do it maintain its the hunter in them...

They could increase the challenge of hunting by hunting each other. :D

Wow you seem an angry man i wasn`t going to suggest anything.

In "unthinkable" there is a choice to make.A man has planted nuclear bombs in several cities and the only way to get him to talk is through his wife and children.The choice is then do you torture and ultimately kill his innocent family to get him to talk or let millions of innocent people die.

What the hell has that got to do with a man hunting?

Meat isn't a by product of killing. It's the reason we kill the animals. We don't need to eat meat to survive. We ultimately kill animals for our selfish pleasures. The man in the OP admits that. You lot won't.
Nonsense. I admit that with no qualms whatsoever. I support the killing of animals for me to get tasty meat.

I still do not think that is morally as bad as taking pleasure from the act of killing itself.

How many parents take the kids to McDonalds for a treat? That's right we also kill animals to give our kids a treat and a toy.
Yeah we do.:thumbsup: