Trophy/Big Game Hunting. Killing animals for fun.

Bloodsport is solely for the pleasure of killing, and of no use beyond that.
Are you (and the OP, and others) familiar with the expression 'managed ecosystem'?

The fact of the matter is, there is less and less wild habitat for game to exist therein, and of course ever-less natural predation (peeps in their very large majority don't go out to hunt for meat anymore, haven't been for some decades - as amply noted in the thread already). And we're not talking about your average livestock either.

In that context, if you still want game to endure, as wild animals, their populations have to be managed. The old and sick culled to maintain healthy genetic lines, the healthy helped along with e.g. salt rocks in winter and culling when populations exceed what the local area (fauna/flora) can reasonably sustain.

I would never condone the shooting of rare breeds and those facing extinction, that goes without saying. But wouldn't be so quick to condemn everyone in khakis with a 12 bore or rifle on their shoulder either.

As with everything in life, the misguided actions of the one loon, are not representative of the vast majority. Broad brushes away, if you please :)

Edited by L00b

You've missed the point. Its the process not the end result...

Thought I might have.

But even meat eaters are not going out of there way for an endangered species.I enjoy a nice steak but i would`nt eat elephant meat.This guy is just trophy hunting.

For a bit of "unthinkable"(if you have not seen it it is great).If you have 5 humans(hunters) against a wall(who you don`t know) and 5 elephants and you have to get rid of one group which do you choose.Mine is the first group.

But even meat eaters are not going out of there way for an endangered species.I enjoy a nice steak but i would`nt eat elephant meat.This guy is just trophy hunting.

For a bit of "unthinkable"(if you have not seen it it is great).If you have 5 humans(hunters) against a wall(who you don`t know) and 5 elephants and you have to get rid of one group which do you choose.Mine is the first group.

You mean you prefer the death of cows and humans over elephants?

Are you (and the OP, and others) familiar with the expression 'managed ecosystem'?

The fact of the matter is, there is less and less wild habitat for game to exist therein, and of course ever-less natural predation (peeps in their very large majority don't go out to hunt for meat anymore, haven't been for some decades - as amply noted in the thread already). And we're not talking about your average livestock either.

In that context, if you still want game to endure, as wild animals, their populations have to be managed. The old and sick culled to maintain healthy genetic lines, the healthy helped along with e.g. salt rocks in winter and culling when populations exceed what the local area (fauna/flora) can reasonably sustain.

I would never condone the shooting of rare breeds and those facing extinction, that goes without saying. But wouldn't be so quick to condemn everyone in khakis with a 12 bore or rifle on their shoulder either.

I wouldn't imagine many people who kill animals because they enjoy it are that interested in 'managed ecosystems'.

I would shoot the elephants, unless the hunters kill innocent people in their spare time.

Thought I might have.

Don't worry we all make mistakes but to your credit admitting is is an admirable quality...:D

As with everything in life, the misguided actions of the one loon, are not representative of the vast majority. Broad brushes away, if you please :)

Yes we are, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about a pillock from England blowing wild amimals into oblivion for fun...

You mean you prefer the death of cows and humans over elephants?

Cows were not in the question.But yes i would remove 5 from a pool of 7 billion rather than 5 from half a million.

Just out of interest have you seen "Unthinkable" with Samuel L Jackson.

I wouldn't imagine many people who kill animals because they enjoy it are that interested in 'managed ecosystems'.
Then you need to take yourself away from the screen more: all those I know are, and I know a fair few, over here and overseas.

They extent to which they are interested, personally versus in pecuniary terms, depends by and large on the national legislation.

For example, over in France, you -as the leaseholder of hunting rights for a given area- are financially responsible to the landowner(s) for any crop/etc. damage caused by game. For example still, if you let the game population grow unhindered (and eventually too populous), they then turn to crops for feeding. So, you then have to pay the local farmer €€€ for acres of corn munched to the ground by wild boars (and others...but mostly wild boars where corn is concerned). But for each boar you want or need to kill, you need to buy a corresponding 'boar kill tag' from the ONF (hunting rights notwithstanding) - not cheap, either. Therefore, regardless of whether you like wild boars as an animal or for the challenge of killing them, it's in the common interest of boars and hunters to manage the boar population - not to kill too many or too few. Just an example, there are countless others.

Different in the UK, where many 'shoots' are managed to maximise kills during the relatively short shooting season, and the above considerations are less of a factor (because the game is generally much smaller, with less land requirements). Though they still apply, to an extent.

Yes we are, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about a pillock from England blowing wild amimals into oblivion for fun...
Most of the comments in the thread extrapolate the actions of this idiot to all hunters. So, we certainly seem to be :)

Cows were not in the question.But yes i would remove 5 from a pool of 7 billion rather than 5 from half a million.

Just out of interest have you seen "Unthinkable" with Samuel L Jackson.

Cows weren't in your question but they were in mine. No I haven't seen the film. Are you now going to suggest that because I haven't seen the film I couldn't possibly understand the plight of the elephants? Does Samuel L Jackson eat elephants? Does he kill humans who hunt elephants. You lot are aware he doesn't just shoot elephants aren't you? I think some of you have hung on to the word elephant because you see them as cute animals worthy of saving. You're pushing your emotions onto the elephants.

The fact of the matter is and shall always remain. If you eat animals, which it has been established we don't need to do and we have synthetics which can replace furs, then you're just as bad as this bloke.

You unnecessarily have an animal killed in your name for your own pleasure. We don't eat meat to survive and we don't need furs to survive.

What exactly makes any of you whining meat eaters better than the man in the article?

What's worse is that you likely don't mind the dressing up of meat products so they don't resemble anything like the livestock they are from.

People including a lot of you on this thread kill animals or have them killed for your pleasure. None of us on here are any better than the man in the OP.

Well speaks volumes the type of person you are me thinks......

a person that likes is elephant and chips me thinks:suspect: