Muslim printers, must they print Mohammed cartoons?

The gay cake ruling could open a can of worms.

It isn't the same. The clue is the piece of legislation used to secure this outcome

It isn't the same. The clue is the piece of legislation used to secure this outcome

According to lawyers it is the same.

A human rights lawyer has claimed that a potential ruling that would force a Christian bakery to bake a same-sex marriage cake could set a sweeping precedent - that could see a Muslim printer ordered to print images of the Prophet Mohamed.

A human rights lawyer has claimed that a potential ruling that would force a Christian bakery to bake a same-sex marriage cake could set a sweeping precedent - that could see a Muslim printer ordered to print images of the Prophet Mohamed.

Yeah good luck with that.

You may feel the full force of the religion of peace if you do.

Would the law make a Muslim bakery bake a gay cake? I think not somehow.

Out of interest, which of the protected characteristics would a person who wanted pictures of Mohammed be likely to be exhibiting? Genuine question.

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 22:35 ----------

Would the law make a Muslim bakery bake a gay cake? I think not somehow.

The law didn't make a Christian bakery bake a "gay cake" either. The civil courts found the bakery liable for discrimination. It would be a weird legal system that, after all this, made them bake a cake as well.

Out of interest, which of the protected characteristics would a person who wanted pictures of Mohammed be likely to be exhibiting? Genuine question.

Which of the protected characteristics would a person who wanted the words (support gay marriage) be likely to be exhibiting?

Which of the protected characteristics would a person who wanted the words (support gay marriage) be likely to be exhibiting?

If you read the ruling, you'll find in this case the judge ruled that it was sexuality. Again, which of the protected characteristics would be likely to include a person wanting pictures of Mohammed printing?

If you read the ruling, you'll find in this case the judge ruled that it was sexuality. Again, which of the protected characteristics would be likely to include a person wanting pictures of Mohammed printing?

I know what the judge said, I just disagree with her, because the cake maker would have refused to make the cake for everyone and wouldn't have refused to make a different cake for a gay person. It was the words on the cake and not the sexually of the buyer that caused the problem. If the religious can refuse to sell pork, alcohol, condoms, the pill then they can surely refuse to sell a cake with words that support something they perceive to be a sin.

I know what the judge said, I just disagree with her, because the cake maker would have refused to make the cake for everyone and wouldn't have refused to make a different cake for a gay person. It was the words on the cake and not the sexually of the buyer that caused the problem. If the religious can refuse to sell pork, alcohol, condoms, the pill then they can surely refuse to sell a cake with words that support something they perceive to be a sin.

The judge concluded that, on balance, the defendants knew that the plaintiff was a gay man and discriminated against him on the grounds of his sexuality. For the third time, what protected characteristic would a person have which led to them wanting Mohammed pictures printing?

Surely no different then a pub landlord refusing to serve a patron. Only he doesn't have to give any reason but has the right not to serve a patron.

The judge concluded that, on balance, the defendants knew that the plaintiff was a gay man and discriminated against him on the grounds of his sexuality. For the third time, what protected characteristic would a person have which led to them wanting Mohammed pictures printing?

I know what the judge said and I disagree with her, the baker would have refused to bake that cake for everyone, and would have baked a different cake for a gay person, therefor it wasn't discrimination, it was simply a religious person expressing their right to refuse to sell something that they felt went against their religious beliefs.