Good secondary school s5

I'm currently looking for advice on a good secondary school within the s5 area, I have a child that's due start secondary school 2016/17 term. Any advice is welcome.

Secondary schools in S5 that I can think of are Parkwood Academy, Chaucer, Hinde House. Yewlands is in S35 but only just. Chaucer, Yewlands and Hinde House don't have a good reputation. Not sure about Parkwood. What about Ecclesfield that has a good reputation but I suppose it depends on where you are in S5 and how far you want your child to travel.

Was Parkwood Herries?

Was Parkwood Herries?

Yes I think it was. I think Ecclesfield has been oversubscribed for the last two years. There was talk of opening chapeltown academy quite close to Ecclesfield but it had problems with planning permission I think. Not sure where they're at with it now. Hopefully someone will tell us.

As said before, depends where in S5 you are.

Yes I think it was. I think Ecclesfield has been oversubscribed for the last two years. There was talk of opening chapeltown academy quite close to Ecclesfield but it had problems with planning permission I think. Not sure where they're at with it now. Hopefully someone will tell us.

Any good school is likely to be oversubscribed. The OP might want to send their child to a school with a good ofsted rating but so does everyone else and some children have to miss out. The further away you are from the school the harder it will be to get them in unless your child fits one of the categories which gets a higher priority.

The latest on the academy

http://www.chapeltownacademy.com/news/update-new-site.html

Thank you for your replies, May sound a bit strange I'm not too concerned with the ofsted rating on the school but more about the overall school in general is it a safe environment. I have heard mixed reviews on all of the schools mentioned above.

Secondary schools in S5 that I can think of are Parkwood Academy, Chaucer, Hinde House. Yewlands is in S35 but only just. Chaucer, Yewlands and Hinde House don't have a good reputation. Not sure about Parkwood. What about Ecclesfield that has a good reputation but I suppose it depends on where you are in S5 and how far you want your child to travel.

You missed Firth Park off your list

My son went to Hinde House and loved it as did his friends - all are now at Uni or working

I'd recommend going to have a look around the school during a standard working day to get a true feel of the school. The open evenings will give you the general info but a school day visit will give a better insight eg pupil behaviour and how this impacts on learning

I've heard about problems with gangs at Hinde House but my children are still young so I've no direct experience even though it was the nearest secondary school. I used to go to Yewlands but that was a long time a go so any experiences I had are probably not relevant anymore (I'm 32 this year). However Chaucer was always considered to be more rough round the edges than Yewlands. I only felt unsafe once when to, to cut a long story short, someone claimed I was bullying them when I wasn't. This person's friends then chose to threaten to beat me up so I ended up be allowed to go home early for a week so they didn't jump me after school. There was once a teacher that got beat up by a pupil.

The open evenings in my opinion are very structured schools will always give a glowing reports of themselves. I have heard good reports on both Ecclesfield and Yewlands, which at present do seem to be my preferred choice of school. But the feeder school's are Chaucer and Parkwood . Thank you for advice bludragonfly.

That report reads like a SAM review.

Anyone had to complete one of those? Not fun :|

Firth Park......quality of teaching on the whole good. Pastoral care awful.......they have little or no idea of how to deal with bullying and leave victims feeling totally helpless