Extension of Workfare To all JSA Claiments

Can you ask if you can use the time you would work for nothing to actively search for work instead ?

Makes you wonder how people in full time jobs manage to find new ones doesn't it?

Not really as people who are already in work have a better chance.

Makes you wonder how people in full time jobs manage to find new ones doesn't it?

Of course people can look for work at other times but anyone who knows the JSA system knows that it's all about getting a job in the shortest possible time. It's intended to be a short term safety net which is why the payments are so small. It would be rich of Jobcentre plus to turn round and say "Sorry, it's no longer our priority to have you off benefits and into work asap, we now want you to spend longer on benefits while working", especially when they have been sanctioning people for not spending "enough" time looking for work. Looking for a job when you already have one is a much more leisurely business, it doesn't require the same urgency.

Not really as people who are already in work have a better chance.

Bob Arctor was talking about the time that you have to spend to get a job..I'd have thought a person in fulltime employment has less "spare" time in which to find another job..

It's always been said it's easier to get a job if you already have a job.

Maybe because in an interview you can just talk about your current role and what you do.

Where as an un-employed person needs to first defend the 'gap' on their CV, and then find something to say about the job they are applying for.

Forgive me if you have recent experience of a Job Centre - you'll already know this - but for those of you who haven't 'had the pleasure' of late, let me detail just SOME of the 'Claimant Commitments', a form which you are obliged to sign when you first enrol with this heady club...

You promise to look for work that you can travel to within 90 minutes each way from home...

You are available for work for any hours on any day for at least 40 hours per week...

You will spend 35 hours per week looking for work...

You will register on the UJ (Universal Jobsearch) website and apply for jobs that you can do, and will create a saved job search record...

You will keep a record of unsuitable jobs and detail the reasons why they are unsuitable...

You will access the UJ website 7 times a week....

Given the above (and the others which I haven't mentioned) and the fact that I was asked to report on a daily basis, I began to wonder when I'd be able to get any sleep!

Forgive me if you have recent experience of a Job Centre - you'll already know this - but for those of you who haven't 'had the pleasure' of late, let me detail just SOME of the 'Claimant Commitments', a form which you are obliged to sign when you first enrol with this heady club...

You promise to look for work that you can travel to within 90 minutes each way from home...

You are available for work for any hours on any day for at least 40 hours per week...

You will spend 35 hours per week looking for work...

You will register on the UJ (Universal Jobsearch) website and apply for jobs that you can do, and will create a saved job search record...

You will keep a record of unsuitable jobs and detail the reasons why they are unsuitable...

You will access the UJ website 7 times a week....

Given the above (and the others which I haven't mentioned) and the fact that I was asked to report on a daily basis, I began to wonder when I'd be able to get any sleep!

that's a new one to me!. I will have to start recording those unsuitable jobs or else i could get a second sanction. Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup:

that's a new one to me!. I will have to start recording those unsuitable jobs or else i could get a second sanction. Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup:

It's a joke, isn't it... except it's not funny, of course.

If you're anything like me, I get daily email alerts from Reed, Indeed, JobIsJob, CV-Library, Monster, JobSite, TotalJobs...and then, of course, there was the Universal Jobsearch site itself.

So you skim through them, identifying ones you think you might have a chance in getting...and then identify the other 99%, and give reasons why they didn't suit you, or you them.

Realistically, can you imagine how long that would actually take?

Day in, day out?

You'd need 35 hours a day, let alone a week!

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 20:31 ----------

I just remembered this almost-surreal exchange that took place during my (overdue by two weeks) first quarterly review...

One of the qualifying items on the 'Claimant Commitment' runs a follows :

"I will use my contact (sic) and networking with friends to look for work" with "7 x weekly" in the next column.

I was asked if I had taken any action on these lines....I replied in the affirmative, but then added that I hadn't necessarily told everybody I knew that I was unemployed - there are certain folk, for various reasons - that you don't want to inform.

This didn't go down at all well.

I was told that I should tell everyone - it didn't matter what kind of job resulted - it was "something".

I was then asked if I used Twitter......no.

I should, apparently.

"How often do you see/speak to friends?" came the next stunner.

How do you reply to that?!

"When I see them...bump into them...."

Wishing this farce to be over with asap, I started being faintly sarcastic...and I kid you not....all the following was written down and printed, and formed part of my agreement -

"I will use my contact (sic) and networking with friends to look for work" but instead of "7 x weekly" in the next column as before, it now read "Saturday and Sunday, 1 hour"....

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 09:43 ----------

Astounding.

Three different letters concerning JSA this morning, three envelopes, same post.

One encloses my P45.

One of the others states

"We cannot pay you an allowance from 8 May 2015. This is because:

You do not want to claim an allowance any more."

The other states

"We are writing to tell you that Jobseeker's Allowance can count as taxable income.

For the period up to 7 May 2016 tax year you received no Jobseeker's Allowance"

I know!