Travel Information Centres closing

To bring this topic back on track......................

To AndyC and/or busdriver1:

I don't know which system(s) First looked at when they decided there were no suitable ones, but I know GoAhead have 'The Key', the bus version is ITSO compliant, and must be fairly secure - they are rolling it out to their rail operations now.

The bus version, which I use extensively on my trips to Brighton can carry a variety of tickets at the same time (you just have to tell the driver which you want to use if carrying more than one), and swipes in 2 or 3 seconds once a ticket has been activated.

I can't find the information I stumbled upon about it, but from memory, it is designed, built and developed by a German company.

As First already have card readers on all buses, could this system not be investigated - or does each card need its' own 'variety' of reader?

Can Travel-line (01709 51-51-51) assist with that sort of thing?

Neah tried that... suggested I went online!

Will get there eventually.

Guest busdriver1
To bring this topic back on track......................

To AndyC and/or busdriver1:

I don't know which system(s) First looked at when they decided there were no suitable ones, but I know GoAhead have 'The Key', the bus version is ITSO compliant, and must be fairly secure - they are rolling it out to their rail operations now.

The bus version, which I use extensively on my trips to Brighton can carry a variety of tickets at the same time (you just have to tell the driver which you want to use if carrying more than one), and swipes in 2 or 3 seconds once a ticket has been activated.

I can't find the information I stumbled upon about it, but from memory, it is designed, built and developed by a German company.

As First already have card readers on all buses, could this system not be investigated - or does each card need its' own 'variety' of reader?

Firsts machines are unique in that they can read any cards.

The problem is not reading them, its what happens to the information afterwards.

Firsts machines are unique in that they can read any cards.

The problem is not reading them, its what happens to the information afterwards.

OK, I get that. So basically what you are saying is that First need to find out how GoAhead manage to keep their data safe.:)

Guest busdriver1
OK, I get that. So basically what you are saying is that First need to find out how GoAhead manage to keep their data safe.:)

there is an assumption that they do........

What on earth does the Council have to do with these centres going, and what do "ethnic organisations" have to do with anything?

You are Alf Garnett and I claim my £5.

I have no wish to discuss 'ethnic organisations' but basically the local councils have reduced how much they contribute to SYPTE to spend on public transport as a knock on effect of government austerity cuts to local authorities.

As well as travel centres closing, there are many other redundancies in the organisation, cutbacks to bus shelter cleaning and reductions in bus station staffing, amongst other things.

At the moment the SYPTE are trying to manage cuts in a way that doesn't impact on essential bus services or school children.

Agree with them closing Travel centres although shame about the job losses.

As the OP pointed out there are plenty of other ways to get information and passes now.

In my experience a lot of the time they are dealing with people winging about bus services which is a waste of time and money.

What cutbacks have there organisation's suffered none , while the indigenous folk of this city suffer these cutbacks , sick and tired of this safe sanctuary city stuff , what about its home grown population for a change .

There seems to be plenty of money for the council to hand out to Abbeydale Cricket Club, Wisewood Community Keep Fit, Friends of Bolehills Park, Derwent Woodcraft Folk, Greenhill Methodist Church, and Totley Residents Forum...

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/grants.html