Cakes for all you bigots

As a business then why didn't they get the gay member of staff to bake the cake?

Perhaps they still felt that that would be contrary to their god's wishes, as they'd still be providing the materials and equipment and whatnot, but I don't know.

It is rather frightening that a business can not refuse to carry out work it disagrees with.

Religion or discrimination need not be factored into the equation just the free will of a business to carry out its business as it wishes.

Basic honestly and freedom for all is what is in question.

It's not straightforward is it? If the person wanting the cake had been "straight" would there have been a problem in the bakery not wanting to do it?

Who knows, I'll guess we'll have to see if that happens and eventually goes to court.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 14:58 ----------

It is rather frightening that a business can not refuse to carry out work it disagrees with.

Religion or discrimination need not be factored into the equation just the free will of a business to carry out its business as it wishes.

Basic honestly and freedom for all is what is in question.

Then we're back to "No Blacks or Irish" in B&B windows.

It's not straightforward is it? If the person wanting the cake had been "straight" would there have been a problem in the bakery not wanting to do it?

That's the key difference isn't it. Refusing them service for being gay is clearly illegal. Refusing them a specific cake but happily selling them another cake is not (to my mind) discrimination based on their sexual orientation.

That's the key difference isn't it. Refusing them service for being gay is clearly illegal. Refusing them a specific cake but happily selling them another cake is not (to my mind) discrimination based on their sexual orientation.

They'd already served the guy before,the judge said they knew he was gay so it would appear that him being gay wasn't the reason they refused.. ah well,no doubt it'll go to appeal...........

mmmm....yet the B&B turned the gay couple away have stated “We’re just ordinary Christians who believe in the importance of marriage as the union of one man and one woman."

A slogan on a cake supporting gay marriage, or a gay couple wanting a double room is not agreeing with a lifestyle.

So refusing service based on the lifestyle of the customer, unfortunately for them a lifestyle that is protected from discrimination by law.

The law in Northern Ireland is that same sex marriage is not legal. The required sign on the cake was "support gay marriage." It seems bizarre that a business is required to print a banner of support for something not recognised as legal.

As a business then why didn't they get the gay member of staff to bake the cake?

What makes you think that the gay member of staff supports gay marriage, they also might find the idea offensive.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 15:36 ----------

Muslim only' rental advert

We found five such ads nearby. Our reporters discovered hundreds more across the UK, including signs for “Asian only” and “Polish only” tenants.

27th July 2014

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/391129/Fury-over-Muslim-only-rental-advert

Personalty I don't have an issue with such a sign, its nice to know that they don't want me in their premises, imagine eating in a restaurant that is forced to serve you, just think what they might do to your food. :gag:

Who knows, I'll guess we'll have to see if that happens and eventually goes to court.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 14:58 ----------

How far back are you going ?

In reality how common was this ?

If the baker had to make a spurious excuse for not producing a cake with a slogan he preferred not to be associated with we are encouraging a nation of hypocrites and liars.

Edited by harvey19

The law in Northern Ireland is that same sex marriage is not legal. The required sign on the cake was "support gay marriage." It seems bizarre that a business is required to print a banner of support for something not recognised as legal.

But supporting the idea of gay marriage is not illegal.

I've only ever found one photo of the "no blacks or irish" poster. Strange, if the practice was allegedly so common?

If the baker had to make a spurious excuse for not producing a cake with a slogan he preferred not to be associated with we are encouraging a nation of hypocrites and liars.

How far back, it was the 1960s according to some articles. To be fair 'No dogs' were also included.

Shows how as a society we've progressed to try to get equality for all, apart from the dogs

Edited by SnailyBoy

Offer excludes Northern Ireland.

Anyone else notice this from some companies promoting their products on TV adverts?

Why is this? Is it discriminating against people living there?