Nursery Concerns

Should I be concerned or am I overreacting?

This afternoon, I went to collect my 4 year old from nursery. All the children were playing outside with 2 nursery staff on duty. I couldn't see him and asked where he was. One of the staff said, 'he's playing in that box over there'. When she went over he wasn't there. Their faces looked a little blank and the other one said, 'he must be at the toilet'. Thankfully he was, but with no supervision and completely on his own with no other children around. They were not aware he'd taken himself off to the toilet.

I think they should have known exactly where he was. What if he'd fallen ill or had an accident, would they have known? There was once another time when one of the kids followed my wife out of the room and the staff weren't even aware.

They also take an age sometimes to acknowledge my child when I drop him off, and I have to stand around like a spare part to hand him over.

Should I raise there concerns with the nursery?

Raise concerns with the nursery and not on a public forum

With the staffing ratios in nurseries and the requirement that children should be free to play/work inside or outside it will be impossible to monitor every child every second of the day.

If the overall building and outdoor play areas are secure and safe it should be ok for children to play wherever they want to as staff some staff should be working indoors and some outdoors.

However, as Ducky1 says - this is something that should be discussed with the manager of the nursery and not for public forum discussion

If you have got a concern a forum is not the place to raise the issue go directly to them.

I thought she was seeking advice, Not wanting a discussion on the right or wrongs of the staff.

Thanks kidley. I was only after some advice on what to do, I thought that was what forums are for.

The more transparent and open discussions are, surely the more will get done to make such places safer?

Why not talk about such issues openly?

It'd be interesting to know where this place is... given our experiences with a local nursery...

Thanks kidley. I was only after some advice on what to do, I thought that was what forums are for.

You are absolutely right it is. You should be able to discuss and seek advise on matters that are important to you.

Unfortunately there are some forum members who feel that your concerns are not theirs and your posts are not welcome! they're not happy unless they can sink their teeth into something that interests THEM. There is a word for them, but due to forum rules I'm not allowed to swear.

I think you should voice your concerns to the nursery, It can't do any harm. You are after all just a concerned parent asking routine questions.

If you feel it is a regular occurrence then maybe think about moving nurseries.

It'd be interesting to know where this place is... given our experiences with a local nursery...

You wont be allowed to say on here. Yet people can suggest the country's biggest breakdown company is running a scam when it clearly isnt. Go figure.