Should the UK be a Christian country?

Because sunday closing was a hangover from a religious thing, day of rest and all that. ..

While devout religious people may have scorned those that wanted to work on a Sabbath. I suspect that the real reason for nobody working on a Sunday was because, before supermarkets most shops were run by sole traders who had done enough by Saturday morning. They probably had an afternoon off in the week to go to their supplier and finished at noon on Saturday as well.

Meanwhile most of the customers were housewives who did all their shopping in the week and cooked on sundays so never needed to go to the shops.

Nowadays we live in large conurbations and the shops are larger and with staff organised so they can open 7 days. As customers this is now normal and we do less planning because somewhere is always open we get used to buying things "Just in time" rather than having a well stocked larder.

For the same reason when there is snow there is a lot of panic buying because people get frightened that they will run out of milk and bread.

your probably right, but it was part of law because of the religious aspect, and iirc it was religious leaders who blocked the change in the law when thatcher tried to change it.

remember

http://www.keepsundayspecial.org.uk/

There's plenty of Christian countries throughout the world that operate 7 days a week. I fail to see how how a six day week defines Christianity in a society.

Technically the 7th day rest scenario finds it's origin in the old testament rather than the new testament and it's the new testament that's the focus for Christians. Having said that I like my weekends as much as the next guy:)

psynuk, I do remember that campaign, but as always the Christian spokesmen have always liked to spin things to try and put Christianity as the main cause and reason for all things. I suspect that while they did put a brake on changed to the law for a decade, it was going to happen anyway and was really little to do with Christianity.

Bulldog D, That is a very pertinent point. In England we are fed a version of Christianity that often differs dramatically from the other traditionally Christian countries in Europe. It is like we are not meant to think or find anything out for ourselves.

Because it is reported that Cameron spends more time "off duty" than any other Prime Minister in Living memory.

In one famous occasion he turned up for an evening vote in the commons wearing white tails because he didn't want to miss a toff's ball which he was invited to. Even though this left an embarrassing photo opportunity.

Most prime ministers in modern times have been noted to take the job more seriously and have worked extremely long hours. Cameron's style has introduced the word "chillax" where he apparently likes to tune out and go and play candy crush on his iPad for a few hours.

He also has been noted to take rather more holidays away than average for the position.

Work smarter, not harder. Presenteeism has had its day. Good on him.

Bulldog D, That is a very pertinent point. In England we are fed a version of Christianity that often differs dramatically from the other traditionally Christian countries in Europe. It is like we are not meant to think or find anything out for ourselves.

Many other countries in Europe have a simpler outlook to Christianity than we British. For instance the Church and state are clearly defined and enjoy a healthy separation in most European countries be they Catholic or Protestant in basis. In ours, the head of the official Christian Church is also the head of the British state and the Commonwealth. Having pointed that out it's one of the charming wonders of being British:):)

Ironically the "protestant work ethic" of hardwork and frugality, an essential ingredient in the pursuit of capitalism is now redefining the sabbath!

Edited by bulldog D

Because sunday closing was a hangover from a religious thing, day of rest and all that. The country has been nibbling at the edge of religious footholds for a long time so; no religion - then no restrictions on 'trading hours'

Really it's a daft concept, easily as daft as the religion imo.

I agree with 'day of rest' in theory, but every sunday because it's 'gods day' not so much

I believe my point was that the OP and the title have little relevance to each other.

Although that post was several weeks ago...

Ironically the "protestant work ethic" of hardwork and frugality, an essential ingredient in the pursuit of capitalism is now redefining the sabbath!

My argument has always been that the work ethic has nothing to do with Protestantism.

I think history shows that European people living in climates like ours have always been rewarded for working very hard.

We live in a region where working people can work long days all year round if they so choose. This is much more difficult in hot countries where they have to take shelter from the heat in the middle of the day. In very cold countries the activities have to change completely when they are iced up for months.

Long before Christians came along to convert the English from their "pagan" rituals the people of this country were champion grafters.

Indeed many of their "Pagan rites" were connected with understanding the best times to sow the crops and get in the harvests. Their celebrations were all about rewarding workers for storing up all the supplies for the winter. And marking the passing of the seasons so they could get the timing right.

If you want to call all that a "Protestant Work Ethic" then I can't stop you, but you are using a far later concept to mark an attitude that was there from pre history.

Thread title:

Should the UK be a Christian country?

Actual Topic:

David Cameron has been in the news saying he wants a 7 day week NHS.

But will this be the nail in the coffin of having the weekend off, is it a good thing for most workers to get the weekend off?

Its not just the doctors that will need to work weekends, its the nurses and other support staff.

Supermarkets are open 7 days per week, is it time for every other organisation to do the same, why not the tax office, street cleaners, everyone.

What's going on?

The UK has always been based on Christian values which is good. The big problem now is that the Muslim population is growing and they don't really believe in our values. I'm sorry if anyone interprets that as racist, it is not, but I am against the slow Islamification of our once Christian country.

The UK has always been based on Christian values which is good. The big problem now is that the Muslim population is growing and they don't really believe in our values. I'm sorry if anyone interprets that as racist, it is not, but I am against the slow Islamification of our once Christian country.

Which of our values are under threat?

The UK has always been based on Christian values...

Nope.

The human values or "British Values" that we all have were here before Christianity came along. And indeed non Christians and people without any Religion also share these human values.

"Christian Values" were invented by religious spokesmen with a political message that anyone who is not a Christian is a savage. This is as untrue today as it was 1000 years ago.

It is almost as stupid as me turning up to a meeting and saying that I don't murder people and that is "Muddycoffee's values", also that I am the head of a new think tank called the muddycoffistas and anyone who isn't a member must be a murderer.

That's how stupid this;

The UK has always been based on Christian values...

..Sounds to people who are not Christians.

Edited by muddycoffee