Should the UK be a Christian country?

No I'm suggesting there is no admin, no consultants apart from A&E, I'm not sure what level of testing facilities are available.

Sadly my dad was in hospital a lot. He was never discharged at a weekend, first thing on a Monday yes, never a weekend. Treatment isn't changed either unless you are intensive care (well that I assume) again, you wait until Monday when the consultant is back in. Obviously no routine surguries etc etc.

Am I just going to crap hospitals because when ever I've been (mainly as a visitor touch wood) the difference in staffing levels are huge. I was Rotherham general in the small hours mid week (as a patient) and was told by the doctor he was only one of two doctors on the entire site.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 21:40 ----------

I'm suggesting everything bar A&E is basically put in holding pattern until Monday.

Your wrong, there are plenty of people around. People still need to be operated on, babies need to be delivered, people are admitted to critical care, blood tests are carried out, maintenance is done, places are cleaned, food is cooked and served. Need I go on?

Your wrong, there are plenty of people around. People still need to be operated on, babies need to be delivered, people are admitted to critical care, blood tests are carried out, maintenance is done, places are cleaned, food is cooked and served. Need I go on?

Then colour me amazed. So what do think the difference in staffing levels is then between say a Sunday afternoon and a Monday morning?

I'm feeling like my dads was shafted by the Nhs for many years and I've been lied to by countless nurses.

Then colour me amazed. So what do think the difference in staffing levels is then between say a Sunday afternoon and a Monday morning?

I'm feeling like my dads was shafted by the Nhs for many years and I've been lied to by countless nurses.

Obviously there are less staff because less is going on in some departments for example there are a lot less planned operations for example, but it is a long way from being none around.

Consider this, apart from the planned inductions and cesarian sections, (although many of these end up coming in unplanned), a labour ward will be just as busy.

David Cameron has been in the news saying he wants a 7 day week NHS.

But will this be the nail in the coffin of having the weekend off, is it a good thing for most workers to get the weekend off?

Its not just the doctors that will need to work weekends, its the nurses and other support staff.

Supermarkets are open 7 days per week, is it time for every other organisation to do the same, why not the tax office, street cleaners, everyone.

There's absolutely no chance of Drs or Nurses working 7 days a week, and in case you hadn't noticed they already DO have to work shifts that include weekends.

What this has to do with religion though, I've no idea.

Obviously there are less staff because less is going on in some departments for example there are a lot less planned operations for example, but it is a long way from being none around.

Consider this, apart from the planned inductions and cesarian sections, (although many of these end up coming in unplanned), a labour ward will be just as busy.

In fairness I've not been in a labour ward since birth so can't really say what goes on there ;)

Do you think planned operations should be planned for weekends? I don't see unions going for it in a million years. I know when there was a documentary at Rotherham some business bloke (I forget the name) was trying his hardest to get surgeons to do stuff on a Friday afternoon with little success so the chances of this happening on a weekend is pretty unlikely.

Thing is, if I'm seriously ill on weekend, im ill. Supermarkets etc don't need to be open 7 days but it makes far more sense to hospitals working fully through 7 days. You could be in hospital fit as a flea over a weekend but won't discharge you until Monday.

Which hospitals do you think are currently closed at the weekend? :suspect:

:huh:

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 22:15 ----------

I'm suggesting everything bar A&E is basically put in holding pattern until Monday.

Which is ridiculous. Things that can be scheduled are not scheduled, but everything else just carries on. You can't ask people to go home from a ward for the weekend, they still have admissions, they still get diagnosed, they still get meds and anything that can't wait doesn't wait.

I didn't say they were closed on a weekend (although some without A&E departments are likely to be quite quiet).

In fairness I've not been in a labour ward since birth so can't really say what goes on there ;)

Do you think planned operations should be planned for weekends? I don't see unions going for it in a million years. I know when there was a documentary at Rotherham some business bloke (I forget the name) was trying his hardest to get surgeons to do stuff on a Friday afternoon with little success so the chances of this happening on a weekend is pretty unlikely.

Some planned operations are already being carried out at weekend, as overtime shifts. This is only because their staff cannot be spared from their weekday shifts.

The way the the hospitals are funded they're really motivated to, A - get their waiting lists down so they're not fined, and B - receive the funding associated by carrying out the operations. So now during the week theatre time is seen as being a valuable commodity.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 22:15 ----------

Which is ridiculous. Things that can be scheduled are not scheduled, but everything else just carries on. You can't ask people to go home from a ward for the weekend, they still have admissions, they still get diagnosed, they still get meds and anything that can't wait doesn't wait.

I don't know what your point is. I'm not suggesting people go home at weekends. I'm suggesting there is no planned operations (which is what I think the Tories are driving at). I've found that stuff has had to wait because a consultant had gone home for the weekend. Not in every department I'll grant you but based on my own experiences it has happened - although I'd suggest it shouldn't have.

But you've kind of agreed with me. Anything that can wait will wait, simply because it's a weekend.

That might be what the tories are getting at, but it isn't the implication of the posts I quoted.

Why shouldn't it happen? You don't think consultants should be allowed to go home?

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 22:26 ----------

The OP quite clearly thinks that it means 7 days of work every week for NHS staff...

That might be what the tories are getting at, but it isn't the implication of the posts I quoted.

Why shouldn't it happen? You don't think consultants should be allowed to go home?

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 22:26 ----------

The OP quite clearly thinks that it means 7 days of work every week for NHS staff...

Nobody should work 7 days a week (I do but it shouldn't be a requirement!) but is it beyond the realms of posibility to organise so more can get done over weekends?

Nobody should work 7 days a week (I do but it shouldn't be a requirement!) but is it beyond the realms of posibility to organise so more can get done over weekends?

It's not difficult to organise if you're willing to spend the money on more staff and running costs, the difficulty arrises where you want to do it on the cheap.