Should the UK be a Christian country?

David Cameron has been in the news saying he wants a 7 day week NHS.

But will this be the nail in the coffin of having the weekend off, is it a good thing for most workers to get the weekend off?

Its not just the doctors that will need to work weekends, its the nurses and other support staff.

Supermarkets are open 7 days per week, is it time for every other organisation to do the same, why not the tax office, street cleaners, everyone.

It is an irony that the "part time" prime minister intends to make everyone else work harder. Maybe it is only the oiks that are going to be made to work weekends for normal pay.

David Cameron has been in the news saying he wants a 7 day week NHS.

But will this be the nail in the coffin of having the weekend off, is it a good thing for most workers to get the weekend off?

Its not just the doctors that will need to work weekends, its the nurses and other support staff.

Supermarkets are open 7 days per week, is it time for every other organisation to do the same, why not the tax office, street cleaners, everyone.

Thing is, if I'm seriously ill on weekend, im ill. Supermarkets etc don't need to be open 7 days but it makes far more sense to hospitals working fully through 7 days. You could be in hospital fit as a flea over a weekend but won't discharge you until Monday.

The alternative is to keep the current minor ailments clogging A&E at weekends, then.

Good job police officers, firefighters and hospital workers (amongst so many others) have long discovered this convenient work practice called "shifts" ;)

What does he mean. My missus works in the NHS and works day and night, on-call and everything in between. 7 days a week.

I'll answer the headline, no, it should be secular.

The alternative is to keep the current minor ailments clogging A&E at weekends, then.

Good job police officers, firefighters and hospital workers (amongst so many others) have long discovered this convenient work practice called "shifts" ;)

The alternative is to reverse the damage to GP provision. The core service has to be rebuilt first.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 20:28 ----------

I'll answer the headline, no, it should be secular.

In practical terms it is moving that way. It would be one advantage of ditching the Royals.

What does he mean. My missus works in the NHS and works day and night, on-call and everything in between. 7 days a week.

Then she's the only one that is!

You not suggesting that hospitals close for the weekends?

No she's not. She does almost 50 hours and they can fall on any day of the week, day or night. She works in the NHS ;)

Argue if you want but you ain't gonna win.

No I'm suggesting there is no admin, no consultants apart from A&E, I'm not sure what level of testing facilities are available.

Sadly my dad was in hospital a lot. He was never discharged at a weekend, first thing on a Monday yes, never a weekend. Treatment isn't changed either unless you are intensive care (well that I assume) again, you wait until Monday when the consultant is back in. Obviously no routine surguries etc etc.

Am I just going to crap hospitals because when ever I've been (mainly as a visitor touch wood) the difference in staffing levels are huge. I was Rotherham general in the small hours mid week (as a patient) and was told by the doctor he was only one of two doctors on the entire site.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 21:40 ----------

I'm suggesting everything bar A&E is basically put in holding pattern until Monday.

No I'm suggesting there is no admin, no consultants apart from A&E, I'm not sure what level of testing facilities are available.

Sadly my dad was in hospital a lot. He was never discharged at a weekend, first thing on a Monday yes, never a weekend. Treatment isn't changed either unless you are intensive care (well that I assume) again, you wait until Monday when the consultant is back in. Obviously no routine surguries etc etc.

Am I just going to crap hospitals because when ever I've been (mainly as a visitor touch wood) the difference in staffing levels are huge. I was Rotherham general in the small hours mid week (as a patient) and was told by the doctor he was only one of two doctors on the entire site.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 21:40 ----------

I'm suggesting everything bar A&E is basically put in holding pattern until Monday.

That doesn't mean people aren't working does it?

Remember too that the people making the staffing decisions are not the porters, cooks, doctors, cleaners, nurses etc... The decisions are driven from the centre and implemented by suits who don't want to pay enhanced rates for weekend staffing.