Running - better on grass or pavements?

I'm in the process of taking up running - starting with the NHS couch to 5K podcasts and am on week 2. I wanted to ask for some advice on what sort of terrain is best to run on?

I've been running around a playing field on grass (some is a little bumpy) and I wanted to ask is it better to run on a paved surface or on grass?

Which do you find easier? Is one better/worse for your joints?

Would running on grass absorb some of impact on your knees better than Tarmac unless you get some decent running trainers

I've heard sand is also very good, but you need to be gentle at first to get used to it

Soft ground is better for your knees, but make sure you have appropriate running trainers as it's no fun falling over on a damp day.

Which do you find easier? Is one better/worse for your joints?

I've been running on road and hard surfaces for years; only just starting to get some slight discomfort in my knees. For me personally, I prefer road to grass, because it's generally more stable. Grass can by lumpy, so each time your foot goes down, it's at a slightly different angle (that's bad for me, because I have an issue with a weak ankle; may not be an issue for other people).

Think the recommendation is also, new trainers every 500 miles.

Grass is less likely to injure knee/hip joints than a hard surface is. As mentioned, appropraite running shoes also.

I think grass lessens the impact so I prefer that as long as it's cut quite short and not bumpy. Actually the ideal would be a track as it's both flat and slightly cushioned.

You'll have a longer running career if you stick to off road running, less impact on your joints as already mentioned. Try trail running for some variety.

Definitely running on grass will help your joints.

I did couch to 5k and did it on the pavement I found there were too many things to trip over on the park. I think you have to decide what you like best but make sure you have the right shoes as that really helped me