Neighbours Noisy Moggy - Help!

If I posted this problem on an open forum (though perhaps not a pet-specific group) I'd expect at least one eejet to suggest killing the cat. I read this as nothing more than an attempt to preempt that. Can we not give the OP the benefit of the doubt here?

CharlireFish, I'm afraid there's next to no chance any official body would help you with this. If it was an animal making lots of noise because it was being treated cruelly you might get some help, but only maybe. Even if you did get official help it'd certainly **** your neighbours off much more than talking to them - I'm afraid there's no other option.

Try and work out what you'd like them to do about it before you talk to them, and accept that there may not be anything they can do.

They may not want to keep it inside if that means it yowls to be let outside instead, and I can sympathise with that. You may be able to offer to pay for, or go halves with them for a catflap, but if it's a rented house or all UPVC doors they won't be able to fit one. Or they may not want one.

One thing which may help is if you offer to make a cat shelter, or just make one and leave it in your garden if that's near their door. Google 'making a feral cat shelter' for ideas but it's generally a large plastic box with a hole in, straw or styrofoam inside for insulation and sometimes a smaller box inside that. 'Can I make the cat a shelter and put it near your back door' will probably be better recieved than 'I've got a problem with the noise, you find a way to fix it.'

THANK YOU soooo much Mayfly - an actual helpful response - looking into some options!

If it's a noise issue then get onto the council noise abatement team.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/SCC-Home/environment/environmental-health/pollution/noise-pollution

Noisy animals is something they will help you with.

To help with your complaint it is probably worth recording the issue over a couple of nights, so you have something to show to the officer.

Their first suggestion is to go and talk to the owner though, so sooner or later you will have to do it because if you refuse then don't expect them to help you any further.

Edited by geared