Ketty lester-city hall

Remember Jimmy Crawford? I used to babysit for him back in the day. He was a nice chap.

And Susan Maughan, she made an appearance at a record shop at the bottom of The Moor. May have been Wilson Peck? She looked very glam in her fur coat.

Edited by Minimo

I took my sister to a show at the Gaumont, but I can't remember the year. Likely to be early sixties, there was Marty Wilde, Joe Brown and about 6 or 7 other top names. The value was fantastic in those days. So many well known acts on one bill for just a few bob. I wish I could remember who the others were.

Got it! It must have been Feb 1962. That's a brilliant website. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

I just bookmarked it too, brought tears to my eyes, especially when I remember not being able to afford to see my all time favourite black singer, Sam Cooke, alas had I only known the tragedy to come I would have stolen the money to see him.

I just bookmarked it too, brought tears to my eyes, especially when I remember not being able to afford to see my all time favourite black singer, Sam Cooke, alas had I only known the tragedy to come I would have stolen the money to see him.

Yes Sam Cooke's and Marvin Gaye's untimely deaths- getting hit by speeding bullets- were great losses to soul/blues music. The website mentioned before had some great names from the past plus a lot that just didn't make it and only two, that I could count from the Sheffield area-Jimmy Crawford and Carol Deene. I recall Nat Jackley and Billy Dainty as being funny but at my age then about 13, didn't grasp what they were doing. The ventriloquist Arthur Worsley was, for me the best in that business with Dennis Spicer not far behind. As for those that I have seen doing that sort of act, then and since...Laugh? I thought I'd never start!

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 00:24 ----------

Remember Jimmy Crawford? I used to babysit for him back in the day. He was a nice chap.

And Susan Maughan, she made an appearance at a record shop at the bottom of The Moor. May have been Wilson Peck? She looked very glam in her fur coat.

Unless Wilson Peck had another record store, I think the one at the bottom of the Moor was a branch of Curtess', and in my book Miss Maughan looked 'glam' with or without fur coat

Edited by stpetre
add

I liked Marty, one song in particular 'Little Girl' named in respect of his then baby daughter Kim Wilde (look how old she is now). also Joe Brown and the Bruvvers with 'Picture of You', 'Layabout's Lament.' Joe too has a daughter on the music scene, Sam Brown, who has a Elkie Brooks type husky voice but has quite a way to go to emulate that lady. Oh well as Joe used to say in between numbers, 'Brown Bread.'

What was great about Marty he did a lot of covers of big American hits and did them way better, I played Marty's cover versions of Teenager in Love, Donna, Endless Sleep, Sea of Love, Danny, Rubber Ball, to a few Canadians of my generation and to a man/woman agreed ,his versions of all those songs were better than the originals by far. In fact one friend turned into a massive fan, although he had never even heard of him until 5 years ago.

Remember seeing Pat Boon at the city hall back then and the Ted Heath band as well. He just waved his baton to start them playing then walked off till they'd finished..:o.

did see Frank Ifield --could have been with Ketty Lester --dont remember the Everlies with her ----did see half of the Everlies when one of them was taken ill about that time----the lead guitarist filled in with harmonies (may have been Albert Lee but more likely James Burton----keep on finding more artists thanks

Albert is not a bad singer James not so much.

I saw Albert Lee along with Bill Wyman , Georgie Fame , and the rest of the Rhythm Kings at the City Hall a couple of years ago, best show I have seen at the City.

Don't know about James Burton's singing tho' his guitar work, to me was phenomenal. I wasn't a big fan of Elvis but James' guitar solo on 'Little Sister' remains one of the best , after almost 60 years since it was recorded. I believe he was an inspiration for Vic Flick too.

Don't know about James Burton's singing tho' his guitar work, to me was phenomenal. I wasn't a big fan of Elvis but James' guitar solo on 'Little Sister' remains one of the best , after almost 60 years since it was recorded. I believe he was an inspiration for Vic Flick too.

Yeah, Elvis had two very inspirational guitar players, Scotty Moore and later James Burton A good showcase for James is Roy Orbison, a black and white night, a fantastic live concert from the Coconut Grove in LA.Everybody on the stage was a musical celebrity and all the audience were movie stars etc You seem sure that it was JB on Little Sister and you could well be right, but I always thought Scotty played on that one as Rick Nelson was in his prime around that time and James was his best friend and his guitarist on all his hits.

Yeah, Elvis had two very inspirational guitar players, Scotty Moore and later James Burton A good showcase for James is Roy Orbison, a black and white night, a fantastic live concert from the Coconut Grove in LA.Everybody on the stage was a musical celebrity and all the audience were movie stars etc You seem sure that it was JB on Little Sister and you could well be right, but I always thought Scotty played on that one as Rick Nelson was in his prime around that time and James was his best friend and his guitarist on all his hits.

I hadn't heard 'Little Sister' for over 30 years and was once in a pub in Sheffield around 1984 and this Elvis concert came on the T.V. As both those guitarists were on the stage at the same time it could have been either of them, so maybe I got mixed up.

I saw Albert Lee along with Bill Wyman , Georgie Fame , and the rest of the Rhythm Kings at the City Hall a couple of years ago, best show I have seen at the City.

Last time I saw Albert perform was on that Scotty Moore and friends special, and he sang a few Elvis numbers very well. Bill Wyman and his rhythm kings were on, as well as just about every top British guitarist around, Clapton, Gilmour, Knopfler, plus many more. Sheffield's own Chris Stainton was tinkling the ivories on a few numbers. Good stuff, it's on DVD, I got it a while ago. The show was done at Abbey Rd studios with a live audience.

just re read my original posting and it sure brought back a few memories to all--just to mention that Wilson Peck did have another shop at the far end of the moor-actually on London Rd----also Carol Deene (Norman) ran a pub in Thurnscoe area for years