Food from iceland

When I say "food from Iceland", I'm afraid I'm not talking about the culinary delights of Reykjavic, but about buying food from that rather downmarket high street Frozen Food chain!

I'm a bit scathing about most of the stuff Iceland sell - all that processed crap in batter and breadcrumbs, all those tasteless ready meals, with tasteless bits of stuff in glutinous, artificial-tasting sauces - but I have to admit that you really can't beat them for frozen fish and seafood!

I'd love to be able to always afford to buy "wild" fish from a proper fishmonger, but apart from the occasional treat, I have to stick to the frozen and chilled "farmed" stuff from supermarkets and I must confess that Iceland beat them all, both on taste and price. I've been a fan of their frozen salmon portions for quite a while and from their new range of more expensive speciality fish, I have been really impressed by their Swordfish Fillets, Blue Shark fillets and Raw Prawns.... and their Salt and Pepper Squid is absolutely delicious! . I haven't tried their scallops or sea bass fillets yet - they are a bit too expensive, even at Iceland prices... but I'm quite impressed so far.

Never bought anything from Iceland but did buy some fish from Lidl once. Had to google it to find out what it was.....nice enough stuff though.

Somebody told me they now sell Wild boar sausages. Can't wait to try them out.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 21:14 ----------

Well I tried them today, not bad, however was surprised to see they went quite small when cooked.

Iceland's frozen green beans are exquisite.

I shop at Iceland regularly and they have a decent range of food especially their salmon and dill sauce parcels also their venison sausages and kangaroo burgers are nice. I personally don't have a problem with shopping there, i suppose its everyone's preference.

Went to Iceland yesterday and bought some swordfish fillets whats the best way to cook them.

Went to Iceland yesterday and bought some swordfish fillets whats the best way to cook them.
Think of it like tuna. Defrost is thoroughly and fry it on a griddle or a grill pan

Or if you feel like you want to be a bit daring you could confit it

The best methods I've found to cook swordfish fillets have been to either steam them in my bamboo steamer over a gently simmering pan of water, or to oven roast them in loose foil parcels, with a wedge of lemon, a sprinkling of fresh herbs and a small knob of butter. Poaching it in fish stock with a splash of white wine, some seasoning and some double cream, or milk/coconut milk works pretty well too.

Swordfish is also a good fish to add to dishes like fish soups, fish curries, chowders and Mediterranean fish stews, because it absorbs flavours well, holds it's shape and doesn't fall to bits in slow-cooked dishes.

Think of it like tuna. Defrost is thoroughly and fry it on a griddle or a grill pan

Or if you feel like you want to be a bit daring you could confit it

The ones I got says best cooked from frozen:|

When I say "food from Iceland", I'm afraid I'm not talking about the culinary delights of Reykjavic, but about buying food from that rather downmarket high street Frozen Food chain!

I'm a bit scathing about most of the stuff Iceland sell - all that processed crap in batter and breadcrumbs, all those tasteless ready meals, with tasteless bits of stuff in glutinous, artificial-tasting sauces - but I have to admit that you really can't beat them for frozen fish and seafood!

I'd love to be able to always afford to buy "wild" fish from a proper fishmonger, but apart from the occasional treat, I have to stick to the frozen and chilled "farmed" stuff from supermarkets and I must confess that Iceland beat them all, both on taste and price. I've been a fan of their frozen salmon portions for quite a while and from their new range of more expensive speciality fish, I have been really impressed by their Swordfish Fillets, Blue Shark fillets and Raw Prawns.... and their Salt and Pepper Squid is absolutely delicious! . I haven't tried their scallops or sea bass fillets yet - they are a bit too expensive, even at Iceland prices... but I'm quite impressed so far.

I agree the salt and pepper squid is delish! I make a hot sweet chilli sauce to finish it in. I love scallops but bought some frozen ones once (not from Iceland) and they were all gritty. Haven't bothered since. I guess they were dredged which must fill them with grit. The Chinese supermarkets are also good for frozen fish