Want free protection on my Lap top

Hi , folks , I want free protection for my Lap Top . I am with AVG at moment , & it is free for now , but it expires in 9 days & looks like I will have to pay to extend . This is the same for some others I have been with , are any totally free , Thanks xx

I use the free versions of Avast and Malwarebytes...been OK so far...

Microsoft Security Essentials, combined with a regular scan with Malwarebytes is my usual setup.

Avast or AVG for virus scanning

Malwarebytes for malware that's on already hit your browser, you'll need to manually scan periodically

Spybot to help prevent malware hitting your browser

To the OP, seeing as no-one has mentioned it - AVG do a free version, and unless they've changed their policy, yours will revert to that when the subscription runs out. To be safe though, I would download the free one now direct from the AVG site, and save it until you need it.

Then, run the uninstaller tool (from the AVG site) and install the recently downloaded file.

From what I can see, the only thing you would lose would be the firewall, but if you use a router, that is no big deal.

Or go with MoZaLaN's suggestion - I totally trust his judgment.

Edited by RollingJ
Added further comment.

Microsoft Security Essentials, combined with a regular scan with Malwarebytes is my usual setup.

Stop recommending this. It's never once got a good review anywhere I've ever seen for any version.

Oh cheers folks , I did down load AVG , which I think was the free version & that's what I have got going at moment , so hopefully it may be OK ,once the time runs out . So , it should just stay on the free version then .

Stop recommending this. It's never once got a good review anywhere I've ever seen for any version.

3/5 here from April 2015:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/internet-security/1402050/microsoft-security-essentials-review-latest-results-highlight

4/5 here:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/utilities/anti-malware-software/microsoft-security-essentials-640587/review

4/5 on Spiceworks too.

Even this forum's very own superstar Ghozer recommends it:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11003971#post11003971

What's up, hate Microsoft?

3/5 is appalling for security software. techradar review is 4 years old. "In the two years since its 2009 launch....."

Since when did Ghozer become the defacto standard for A/V and anti-malware. Personally I'd look for reviews on the net rather than trust one person on a forum (no offence Ghozer, you know your stuff but MSE is pap compared to most stuff out there).

Since I use Win 7 on 2 machines erm no.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/security-essentials/1000270/microsoft-security-essentials-windows-defender-2015-review 2/5

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/01/27/security-essentials-fails-antivirus-test.aspx

If you're not willing to put decent protection on your machine you shouldn't be allowed on the net. It's people like you that get infected because you install a shoddy piece of software and think you're protected.

Since when did Ghozer become the defacto standard for A/V and anti-malware. Personally I'd look for reviews on the net rather than trust one person on a forum (no offence Ghozer, you know your stuff but MSE is pap compared to most stuff out there).

I might be going either blind or senile, or a combo of both but I'm fairly certain I haven't seen Ghozer post at all in this thread so far. Think you might mean Moz, probedb

*edit* Proves my point - blind and senile I am... just re-read the relevant post on the thread... Sorry... :P

Antivirus software is only one aspect of computer security. If a computer user insists on visiting hack & crack sites looking for keys and

passwords to run commercial software or buy dodgy versions of MS Office from an overseas vendor for £20.00 what does the user expect to happen?

When the user's browser of choice has half a dozen toolbars ( Yahoo, Ask, Dogpile, Glampics etc ) and their response is 'Well I don't know how they

got there, I didn't install them!'. It is clear regardless of the AVS installed the user has little or no understanding of computer security,

and what is worse they don't even want to learn.

P.S. Selected for "Best Anti-Virus of 2015" - by TechRadar website.

It may have been but didn't they (Qihoo) cheat?

Edited by lookleft