Sheffield is getting an elected Mayor like Manchester

I trust that is an attempt at political humour?.

Angel1.

Not at all. Ken Livingstone transformed London in the 80s and 90s and made it successful again. People forget that London was a little down-at-heel in the 1970s. You ever seen that movie "The Long Good Friday"? That's the London I remember for my childhood. Ken had vision, energy and drive and wouldn't take no for an answer. He made London an attractive city again, won the Olympics etc. (then Boris came along and built on his successes and turned the city into a bit of a billionaires playground)

He also has an amazing social conscience - arguing that we should be speaking to the IRA to resolve issues when they weren't even allowed to be heard on TV, championing LGBT rights and being anti-apartheid at a time when Thatcher was branding Mandela a terrorist.

So yeah, economic astuteness allied to social conscience - it would be perfect for this Sheffield. I know he wouldn't do it (probably getting a bit old), but someone similar would be great.

Not joking in the slightest.

Edited by E-Man Groovin

Sweet Mary Mother Of God they'll vote in some Labour numpty and we'll be skint in a year.

I'm backing cuttsie's manifesto:

- Castle Market rebuilt

- Hole in the Road restored

- everything else to be like it was in 1972

Sheffield Councillors have proved on numerous occasions that they are miles out of their depth with the powers they already have. Anything that gives Sheffield Councillors further powers would be a complete & utter disaster for our already ailing City.

I'm backing cuttsie's manifesto:

- Castle Market rebuilt

- Hole in the Road restored

- everything else to be like it was in 1972

1960 and the Corn Exchange rebuilt after the fire if you don't mind.

What is needed is a tough, uncompromising mayor who is prepared to do whatever it takes to make Sheffield great again.

Can anyone stand for mayor?

I suppose there will be some exclusions that would bar some people from standing eg bankrupt people or people who have served more than x years in prison

One of the biggest thing that will stop people standing for election is money and support. There may be an 'upfront payment' to add your name to the ballot paper and you will need lots of people 'on the ground' drumming up support

Because this would be an elected Mayor for South Yorkshire (Sheffield City Region which also includes Bassetlaw and Bolsover I think) there will need to be a lot of publicity to get votes which means that sadly it is likely to be the main political party that will have the money and people to bankroll the election

What is needed is a tough, uncompromising mayor who is prepared to do whatever it takes to make Sheffield great again.

Define what you mean by great?

Define what you mean by great?

Dante's inferno .

Robocop ?