Sheffield is getting an elected Mayor like Manchester

I wonder if this is The Govt trying to circumnavigate councils. Most metropolitan councils are Labour but putting a mayor in place might put the local council in a more balanced position, keep them on their toes.

Though Manchester is mostly Labour, there are Tory areas in the surrounding areas so by making a larger economic area, the mayor could well end up being a Tory.

Leeds also has Tory areas, as does East Yorkshire.

And of course Boris is Tory though London is Labour.

I think Sheffield might be the exception with very few Tories in the surrounding areas.

Having said that, I'm not against the idea. IMHO a lot of Labour councils hold back their areas to fit in with their politics so this may give them a kick up the jacksie.

Officially you can avoid it being labelled, but I think you'd struggle to find any candidates for this role that hadn't been deeply involved with politics in one way or another, and probably have their own allegiances.

The role needs an entrepreneurial manager, IMO, not part of a political party system. But I doubt we can avoid the latter.

Just like the stupid police commissioner thing went down party political lines so the mayoral thing will too.

What are the odds on Blind Pew Blunkett getting it?

Taxman mocking a disability, there.

Just like the stupid police commissioner thing went down party political lines so the mayoral thing will too.

What are the odds on Blind Pew Blunkett getting it?

Bad taste.

Is it open to anyone or do people have to be 'invited to apply'?

This is a golden opportunity to get someone special in place who could turn this city around - something the Labour council has clearly not managed to do in spite of years of trying.

Well said Anna B!

I'd love someone like Ken Livingstone to come up here. He's got bags of experience, is ostensibly Labour (only of relevance because people would vote for him), but really understands the power of enterprise in regenerating a city. But he wouldn't. He's too firmly a Londoner.

I trust that is an attempt at political humour?.

Angel1.

.....hartlepools football mascot mayor doesn't raise any eyebrows any more.

Possibly because the post was abolished in 2013.

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 19:40 ----------

Maybe have a look at another town before making judgement. Liverpool seems to be doing quite well with a mayor under the evil Tories:

http://liverpool.gov.uk/mayor/

I can't see Sheffield prospering much if any of the locals stand. You need someone out of the area with big vision and power to lead and get things done.

You praise Joe Anderson who has lived in Liverpool all his life for making that city do well and then say Sheffield has to get someone from outside. Are you making things up?

Possibly because the post was abolished in 2013.

Snap! ;).....

I can't see Sheffield prospering much if any of the locals stand. You need someone out of the area with big vision and power to lead and get things done.

I totally agree.

Who knows it may even be Planner 1:help:

No thanks!!!!!!!