Sheffield is getting an elected Mayor like Manchester

Osborne announced yesterday that the Manchester model of more local powers under an elected mayor is going to happen all over the country.

The message is that cities that don't take on the responsibility of looking after themselves won't get the benefits on offer.

Here’s the deal:

We will hand power from the centre to cities to give you greater control over your local transport, housing, skills and healthcare. And we’ll give the levers you need to grow your local economy and make sure local people keep the rewards.

But it’s right people have a single point of accountability: someone they elect, who takes the decisions and carries the can.

So with these new powers for cities must come new city-wide elected mayors who work with local councils.

I will not impose this model on anyone. But nor will I settle for less.

London has a mayor.

Greater Manchester has agreed to have a mayor as part of our Northern Powerhouse - and this new law will make that happen.

My door now is open to any other major city who‎ wants to take this bold step into the future.

This is a revolution in the way we govern England.

It’s power to the working people of our country.

And it means a stronger democracy and greater prosperity for all.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/chancellor-on-building-a-northern-powerhouse

Will be a Labour one then, given the people of Sheffield would vote a pile of horse manure with a red rosette on it anyway.....

I could have sworn we voted against this a few years ago.

(Perhaps we didn't get 60% of us to vote, or something)

We did vote against it but Osborne has made it clear that to get the devolution you need an elected "mayor". Greater Manx have gone all in across 10 LAs and I think it would have to be the Sheffield City Region rather than Sheffield per se this time.

I always thought we did have a Mayor for some reason.

I always thought we did have a Mayor for some reason.

We do, although the role is merely ceremonial and involves picking a different person every year to be wheeled out on social occasions with a big gold chain round his/her neck, they dont have any actual "power" as the one in this proposal would.

A big big difference between an elected mayor and a ceremonial mayor which many Local Authorities have.

We did vote against it but Osborne has made it clear that to get the devolution you need an elected "mayor". Greater Manx have gone all in across 10 LAs and I think it would have to be the Sheffield City Region rather than Sheffield per se this time.

Has Gozzer decided what the powers of the mayor will be, rather than the proposal last time round which was once the electorate had decided on a) having a mayor, and b) who got voted in, the incumbent would then "negotiate" what powers they had?

(This is why I voted "no". If I knew what I was getting, I may well have voted "yes")

Has Gozzer decided what the powers of the mayor will be, rather than the proposal last time round which was once the electorate had decided on a) having a mayor, and b) who got voted in, the incumbent would then "negotiate" what powers they had?

(This is why I voted "no". If I knew what I was getting, I may well have voted "yes")

That's my understanding but I didn't put in in the post becauseI'm not 100% sure and need more information. I agree that the mayoral process last time was for wishy-washy powers - this appears to bemore clear cut though it is Gideon proposing it...

Will be a Labour one then, given the people of Sheffield would vote a pile of horse manure with a red rosette on it anyway.....

Yes and shagger Boris is fab :rolleyes:

Well people voted for him, and surely some of them voted for Ken livingston too at some point. Mayors are odd in this country - hartlepools football mascot mayor doesn't raise any eyebrows any more.

Think you know full well the point I was making :D

The people of Rotherham continued to vote for Labour last week, despite a Labour administration being implicit in covering up a bunch of "nut administrators". And if a Tory administration somewhere did the same, the people of that area would probably carry on voting for them too. Wonders never cease, really.