Sheffield is getting an elected Mayor like Manchester

There was a referendum about Sheffield having an elected mayor back in 2012, and the proposal was rejected by 82,890 votes to 44,571.

And the turnout was about 0.01% (OK, a slight exaggeration!)

The uninterest shown says volumes about how little demand there is for such a nonsense position.

And the turnout was about 0.01% (OK, a slight exaggeration!)

The uninterest shown says volumes about how little demand there is for such a nonsense position.

I think the actual turnout was 32.1%, but I think 0.01% is a fair assessment of how much campaigning went on for this in 2012. Hardly saw anything about this back then.

But I think Ozzy is talking about a Sheffield region mayor now, so it's potentially not a nonsense position based in one local authority. The area covered would include council areas nearby too. Unless I've totally misunderstood. This works for Gtr London, Gtr Manchester and probably in a 'Gtr Birmingham' but I'm not so sure it fits so well in all other big cities.

It's a regional thing like in London where Ken/Boris/whoever has real powers to do stuff whereas the City of London mayor is just a chainwearing ceremonial nonsense job.

Osborne announced yesterday that the Manchester model of more local powers under an elected mayor is going to happen all over the country.

The message is that cities that don't take on the responsibility of looking after themselves won't get the benefits on offer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/chancellor-on-building-a-northern-powerhouse

Beneath the sudden conversion to devolution of power, this is a way of making further cuts to local government funding. It's also divide and rule, to enshrine the unfair way cuts impact opposition controlled councils more than Tory ones. If Gideon was really so generous, he'd let the established democratic structures spend the money. Nobody asked the people of Sheffield if they actually wanted a mayor for this, did they?

Will the mayor of Sheffield be able to levy local taxes to pay for increased public sector spending in the city? I think this is the future. Local government should have more control than national or international governments that are totally disconnected from normal people.

Will the mayor of Sheffield be able to levy local taxes to pay for increased public sector spending in the city? I think this is the future. Local government should have more control than national or international governments that are totally disconnected from normal people.

The local mayer will not have any powers to raise any money, he/she will only have the money to spend what the government of the day decides to give him/her to spend i.e shifting the blame for lack of spending from the said government to the local mayor. make of it what you will.

---------- Post added 23-05-2015 at 10:46 ----------

This might help, the idea of a mayor having the financial control of a city is fanciful.

http://www.centreforcities.org/publication/what-can-a-mayor-do-for-your-city/

Edited by kidley

Maybe you should see a mayoral office in place before making judgements? The Liverpool one seems to be doing OK.

Are you suggesting that we try before we buy

or

Try it and you'll be stuck with one.

I suspect the latter would be the reality.

Sheffield Councillors have proved on numerous occasions that they are miles out of their depth with the powers they already have. Anything that gives Sheffield Councillors further powers would be a complete & utter disaster for our already ailing City.

I've never been sure of the role of John Mothersole, and the various other groups like 'Sheffield First'

Who exactly makes the decisions? How much clout does the leader of the council Julie Dore actually have? etc.

Where can I get an overview of who does what, and how? The various Sheffield council websites are absolutely rubbish.

---------- Post added 24-05-2015 at 19:35 ----------

It's a diversion tactic to move responsibility away from the cons for cuts. I vote no mayor.

Mmm... the cynic in me suspects this might very well be the reality...

In which case we have to ensure we get the very best mayor who is clearly on the side of Sheffield.

I've never been sure of the role of John Mothersole, and the various other groups like 'Sheffield First'

Who exactly makes the decisions? How much clout does the leader of the council Julie Dore actually have? etc.

Where can I get an overview of who does what, and how? The various Sheffield council websites are absolutely rubbish.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/roles-who.html

It sounds like the 4 South Yorkshire local authorities have finally agreed on a joint  approach that might free up the investment money.

https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/breakthrough-in-devolution-for-the-scr/

Coincidentally the Regional Authority is meeting today in a building just over the road from us at the AMP.

Looks like  some have been inspecting the site which has just been cleared for the new retail outlet and bus station at Waverly. 

14 minutes ago, WalkleyIan said:

It sounds like the 4 South Yorkshire local authorities have finally agreed on a joint  approach that might free up the investment money.

https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/breakthrough-in-devolution-for-the-scr/

Coincidentally the Regional Authority is meeting today in a building just over the road from us at the AMP.

Looks like  some have been inspecting the site which has just been cleared for the new retail outlet and bus station at Waverly. 

Hope so. I don't really understand the desire for a Yorkshire wide devolved region. 

Much too big, and aims are much too diverse IMHO. 

The South Yorkshire region is a decent size and fairly homogenous. 

They just tweeted this out. 

Big news for active travel now - #SCRMCA members have agreed to accept £4.2m from the Government's Transforming Cities Fund for active travel schemes across the region.