Would You Pay for a Cleaner?

We've got a cleaner who comes once a week and also a dog walker. I work full time and my OH is self employed and works most days, evenings and weekends - if we didn't have these, fitting family time in would just be that much harder.

It is funny though as my OH insists we tidy up and the house doesn't look too bad before the cleaner comes! :roll:

Also, if you go on holiday for a few days/week etc there is absolutely NOTHING better than getting home to a sparkling clean, dust free house!! :D

I advertised for a cleaner on a well known local forum. I had a lot of replies so I selected half a dozen that looked most promising. I invited them to come for an informal interview to discuss hours, terms etc.

And guess what? Not one replied, So I gave up. There may well have been someone in all those replies who was genuinely interested, in which case I am sorry, but I was so disillusioned that I decided to just struggle on by myself.

We have a cleaner (a pair of them in fact) via a cleaning company.

Once a week for an hour, so two hours of labour. Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning kitchen and bathrooms. They do a great job.

We both work full time, plenty of money coming in, and I've got better things to do with my evenings and weekends than cleaning the house, so why not?

Why would you care what somebody else thinks? They can feel good about themselves whilst scrubbing the toilet on a Saturday afternoon.

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 09:37 ----------

I advertised for a cleaner on a well known local forum. I had a lot of replies so I selected half a dozen that looked most promising. I invited them to come for an informal interview to discuss hours, terms etc.

And guess what? Not one replied, So I gave up. There may well have been someone in all those replies who was genuinely interested, in which case I am sorry, but I was so disillusioned that I decided to just struggle on by myself.

Just use a cleaning company. We use http://www.newpinclean.com/

I recently found out three colleagues had cleaners, having only assumed rich people had cleaners it got me thinking about my own home. I've since enlisted a cleaner (my mum!) to come to my house once a fortnight to clean - paid obviously. I discussed this with a friend and she seems to think I have money to burn and she can think of better things to spend money on. My argument is that I work long hours (I'm a teacher) and can think of better things to spend my free time on than cleaning, (she coincidentally lives at home rent free).

What do people think about having cleaners, would you consider one, do you have one or do you think they are a waste of money?

It makes sense to leverage your finances. E.g. you work out you earn 20 per hour and pay a cleaner 10.

Also who wants to clean on a weekend?

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 10:03 ----------

We have a lovely cleaner for a very good rate. Not perfect, but certainly a big load of our minds. If you can afford it, why not? Use the following formula: If you spend an hour outside of your job doing something that someone else could do for a third of your hourly rate, than why do it yourself?

The longer you think about that, the more sense it makes.

My thoughts exactly. Plus it frees up all that planning time to work on compound building activities like work, family or study.

I would love one! And I'd pay £10 per hour, it would be worth it lol. Although my worst job is ironing and putting the clothes away!

I am a cleaner and £10 an hour is really good for a private house, where I work at a school I get £6.86 an hour, not enough for what we have to do, very physical. I used to clean at a private house and got £8.00 and hour.

I am a cleaner and £10 an hour is really good for a private house, where I work at a school I get £6.86 an hour, not enough for what we have to do, very physical. I used to clean at a private house and got £8.00 and hour.

Below minimum wage... that's not legal.

I'd have to spend too much time tidying up before the cleaner came!

I'd have to spend too much time tidying up before the cleaner came!

I thought that too! But I refrained as I thought it defeated the object abit :hihi:

That sounds very Tory of you. Aren't you a labour supporter?

I support no one political party, but I do wish our political system of voting was more democratic.

I have had several cleaners over the years, but only one cleaned like I do! Margaret Hackett, if you are out there......................!