New Sheff Tescos..thought they were closing?

What downturn??

Also if the store is 30 years old now it might have been needing a major re-fit, at which point they considered the costs and decided to build a new store and flatten the old one.

So possibly it could have been still making money, but just wasn't a decent long-term prospect to continue with.

Tescos are losing profit and share price tumbling from what i can gather.

People are exceedingly snobby when it comes to Tesco. If it was a Waitrose or M&S simply Food opening up, they would be writing in letters of SUPPORT to get it opened.

People are exceedingly snobby when it comes to Tesco. If it was a Waitrose or M&S simply Food opening up, they would be writing in letters of SUPPORT to get it opened.

Id be one of them.

M and s and waitrose have thought about what people want rather than just profit and hormone pumped chickens.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 12:01 ----------

Sorry but everything from the food to the experience to cust service is inferior in tescos. And aldi and lidl, sometimes waitrose beats tesco on price.

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/companies/tescos-one-stop-launches-franchise-model-for-indies/238038.article

This could be a way round the planning regulations & local dissent.

I've noticed a few One Stops. (eg the shop at the junction of Halifax road and Avisford Road recently changed to become one). I didn't realize the background.

It doesn't really bother me who is behind it, though.

In the 60s, as it was well before the rise of the internet and forums such as this one...

I wonder if there were letters to The Star complaining about the number of Gowers & Burgons that there used to be in Sheffield.

Its not snobby to have taste buds.

I heard Tesco were taking a new approach, but like a Ald and making their goods cheaper. Good news for farmers then.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 12:47 ----------

Sorry got a new tablet and the predictive text is a bit keen!

The tesco at chesterfield road was there in 1970,so it was ar least 45 years old.

The tesco at chesterfield road was there in 1970,so it was ar least 45 years old.

My mum used to shop there so must be.

Tesco Woodseats was opened in 1969 and when the decision was made by head office to close 43 non profitable stores unfortunately that was one of them however as soon as it was announced the takings and likewise the profits started to rise sadly too late and put 46 people out of work, most of whom have been snapped up by other retailers due to their training. The new Tesco was already planned and because it is an Express is run on less staff so therefore is less expensive to run. The lease on the Woodseats store had nothing to do with the closure as the company owned the site. It was a sad day when the store closed not only for the staff but also all the customers that had been loyal over many years.

There looks to be work going on in the building - does anyone know what it will be yet?

There looks to be work going on in the building - does anyone know what it will be yet?

A mosque.

_______