Oilseed rape crops near Sheffield?

Oilseed rape crops - you know those vast fields of yellow flowers at this time of year ... does anyone know any near the south side of Sheffield? The reason I'm asking is I'm getting the sort of persistent headaches which I normally get when near these crops, but I'm in S8 and working in S2 and don't think I pass any fields of this on my way to work each day! I'm just wondering whether it's happening when the wind is blowing in a certain direction. It's been driving me mad today!

I have no idea if this area is south side of Sheffield but the farmers fields near Ulley reservoir are normally covered in rape seed crops this time of year.

I have seen it driving from Killamarsh to Whitwell. The fields are full. That's junction 30 ish of the M1 area

Oilseed rape crops - you know those vast fields of yellow flowers at this time of year ... does anyone know any near the south side of Sheffield? The reason I'm asking is I'm getting the sort of persistent headaches which I normally get when near these crops, but I'm in S8 and working in S2 and don't think I pass any fields of this on my way to work each day! I'm just wondering whether it's happening when the wind is blowing in a certain direction. It's been driving me mad today!

There's quite a bit close to s8 if you head towards marsh lane, or around Barlow/cord well valley.

I was told that the rapeseed pollen is rather heavy and rarely travels more than a few meters from the plant, but there are lots of other plants that release their pollen at the same time as rapeseed and they travel a lot further. So, according to the guy who told me, (a former farmer), it's actually other plants that you might be reacting to. Wikipedia almost backs this up.

In which case it could be anything.

There are some around S25, not sure if that's close enough to affect you.

There's a field full next to High Lane, S12.

I've been able to smell oilseed rape all over Sheffield when it's been warm and dry. Too cold today, but I think this year's been a bad year for pollen.

I too suffer from hayfever and I assume that any reaction to rapeseed would be of a similar nature. I can find no evidence of rapeseed fields causing headaches without hayfever symptoms. However I did discover that 90% of all headaches are caused by dehydration.

There was also fields of the stuff at swallownest in the fields which the train lines cut through. Don't know the postcode.

Thanks for your replies - sounds like we're fairly surrounded by the stuff! It's definitely this that's causing the headaches - in fact I could smell that distinctive smell from our back garden last night after posting this. Nothing today though as the temperature has dropped (no headache, no smell). I don't get any other pollen related symptoms (hayfever etc), and I'm certain the headaches are related to oilseed rape, though philyyy - you have a good point - I really ought to drink more!

Thanks for your replies - sounds like we're fairly surrounded by the stuff! It's definitely this that's causing the headaches - in fact I could smell that distinctive smell from our back garden last night after posting this. Nothing today though as the temperature has dropped (no headache, no smell). I don't get any other pollen related symptoms (hayfever etc), and I'm certain the headaches are related to oilseed rape, though philyyy - you have a good point - I really ought to drink more!

Dont be fooled by the drinking more bit as its not really necessary to drink a lot. Dehydration is not a very common problem unless you have a hot or strenuous sweating job and even then salt intake is more important.