Tree devastation in Sheffield

“It is only when a tree reaches and lives through a mature stage that the return on the investment made to plant and care for that tree is realised. Depending on species, it takes between 15 and 40 years for a tree to grow a sufficiently large canopy to deliver meaningful aesthetic, air pollution removal, rainwater management, and other benefits. From a nature conservation perspective, the older a tree, the richer its wildlife. As a result, even when the planting of a new tree compensates for the felling of an older one, a significant loss is incurred.”(Trees and Design Action Group, 2012, p. 21)

Hooray. Nice men in small lorry came and planted a new tree in the verge on Meadowhead, nr Charles Ashmore Road gates. This replaces the poorly one which had to come down several years ago.

I don't know the type, they said it was Chinese. They're everywhere these days....

Something to celebrate, anyway. Might put lights on it.....

Hooray. Nice men in small lorry came and planted a new tree in the verge on Meadowhead, nr Charles Ashmore Road gates. This replaces the poorly one which had to come down several years ago.

I don't know the type, they said it was Chinese. They're everywhere these days....

Something to celebrate, anyway. Might put lights on it.....

I think some of the ones they're planting are a type of crab apple. I've also seen they've planted something which looks like a scots pine on the right hand side verge between greenfield road and mitchells.

For a buddhist, you spend a lot of time criticising and attacking other people.

Is that directed at me?

For people asking about ecosystem valuations, these are the services that large canopy trees provide and that amount to millions of pounds each year:

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/mediafile/100631140/pg-wt-300615-residential-developments.pdf?cb=f20eb2b74ac54ac3854213e8d7d4fb35

---------- Post added 24-11-2015 at 23:18 ----------

"London's eight million trees are worth £6.1 billion to the capital and contribute £130 million in wider benefits, a new survey has calculated"

http://www.hortweek.com/london-trees-worth-6bn-survey-finds/arboriculture/article/1373774?bulletin=arboriculture-news&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=eNews+Bulletin&utm_source=20151123&utm_content

Edited by Mindfulness

27,000 trees (absolute maximum)

Is someone havin a bleedin laugh?!!!! :rant::loopy::gag::suspect::huh::confused:

Is someone havin a bleedin laugh?!!!! :rant::loopy::gag::suspect::huh::confused:

O'h dear. I think it's getting near time for the moderators to step in again.

"London’s eight million trees are worth a staggering £6.1 billion to the capital and contribute £130 million in wider benefits, a new survey has calculated.

The iTree urban forest survey used over 300 volunteers to analyse and count trees on the ‘services’ they provide from the carbon they store, the pollution they remove, and rainwater they hold. Trees play a huge role in improving air quality and remove 299 tonnes of PM10 and 698 tonnes of NO2 pollution across London annually"

http://www.london.gov.uk/media/mayor-press-releases/2015/11/london-s-pollution-busting-trees-valued-at-61-billion-in-new

Mindfulness, I don't think you would find many people disagreeing with you about the value of trees in any respect, even at the Council and Amey, but this is all about money today.

Endless banging on about the value of trees to the wider economy and health of the city won't amount to a hill of beans when they are looking for savings for the schools and social services budget. We might all privately agree but they are so tied up with budgets and procedures that it makes it hard for them to do anything except the usual. Cllr Fox isn't stupid but he's got a tough job to do.

I'd suggest again that you follow the contract and what shared savings are being looked at as a variation of the original contract. I believe that is where you might be more successful.

Also I wouldn't be too embarrassed about highlighting the visual amenity and streetscape either as it is a strong voter issue. People like tangible things when they cast their vote.

Finally, I do admire the dedication and hard work that so many people are putting into it.

Trees reduce health costs, as they help filter pollutants from the air, removing microscopic particulate matter that comes from road traffic, industry and power production, thereby helping reduce morbidity and mortality (Tiwary, et al., 2009).Tiwary et al. (2009) noted that, nationally, health costs associated with such pollution are “estimated to range between £9.1 and 21.4 billion per annum”, quoting an Air Quality Strategy document published by DEFRA in 2007. They referenced a range of research that indicates such pollution causes alveolar inflammation, respiratory tract infection (specifically pneumonia), and acute cardiovascular disorders, with the elderly being particularly vulnerable.

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 19:02 ----------

700 deaths per year from air pollution: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/air-pollution-death-toll-698-people-died-prematurely-in-south-yorkshire-in-a-year-1-7582657

Edited by Mindfulness

O'h dear. I think it's getting near time for the moderators to step in again.

Hello Spilldig :D.

What you wingeing bout naaa then? :hihi:

Hello Spilldig :D.

What you wingeing bout naaa then? :hihi:

Hi Soloman. Well as you know, I don't whinge without good cause.

Edited by spilldig