Tree devastation in Sheffield

27,000 highway trees is not a small number. Could you please stop lying about this Longcol, it is not helpful.

Where has the 27,000 come from - and what percentage of the total number of trees in Sheffield are being replaced.

Where has the 27,000 come from - and what percentage of the total number of trees in Sheffield are being replaced.

75% of Sheffield's 36,000 Highway trees have been placed in the age-class category 'mature', and potentially marked for felling in the life of the Amey contract. 'Mature' and 'over-mature' are commercial forestry terms and used to demarcate the time when growth has slowed to such an extent that it makes it commercially viable to harvest at this stage. Fox is wrongly using this term to mean trees are 'reaching the end of their lives', when this is not the case. Trees die slowly, over many years. Age-class categorisation does not indicate their Safe Useful Life Expectancy (SULE). For many of our old trees, it is still hundreds of years.

Um that's why I then posted the links to 5 articles specifically about the benefits and importance of STREET TREES...

Btw for anyone wishing to get the facts about street trees to better argue their importance then that first link is really good particularly (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/CCST_Social_Report_March2010.pdf/$FILE/CCST_Social_Report_March2010.pdf) especially as it is authored by the Forestry Commission - a Government department.

Thanks I'll have read - I've seen the Guardian article before and it sort of starts on about street trees and then gets tangled up in talking about all citiy trees.

At first glance Michigan has got some lovely wide boulevards where those pictures were mainly taken - not sure Sheffield has anything like the same number - our geography is pretty unique in this country and historic building practices do mitigate against wide boulevards.

Not got on to the others yet.

"CAVAT provides a method for managing trees as public assets rather than liabilities. It is designed not only to be a strategic tool and aid to decision-making in relation to the tree stock as a whole, but also to be applicable to individual cases, where the value of a single tree needs to be expressed in monetary terms"

http://www.ltoa.org.uk/resources/cavat

Thanks I'll have read - I've seen the Guardian article before and it sort of starts on about street trees and then gets tangled up in talking about all citiy trees.

At first glance Michigan has got some lovely wide boulevards where those pictures were mainly taken - not sure Sheffield has anything like the same number - our geography is pretty unique in this country and historic building practices do mitigate against wide boulevards.

Not got on to the others yet.

Great, I'd suggest reading the first one first - it is quite lengthy but it's pretty comprehensive and a lot of it can be skipped to get to the relevant points.

75% of Sheffield's 36,000 Highway trees have been placed in the age-class category 'mature', and potentially marked for felling in the life of the Amey contract. 'Mature' and 'over-mature' are commercial forestry terms and used to demarcate the time when growth has slowed to such an extent that it makes it commercially viable to harvest at this stage. Fox is wrongly using this term to mean trees are 'reaching the end of their lives', when this is not the case. Trees die slowly, over many years. Age-class categorisation does not indicate their Safe Useful Life Expectancy (SULE). For many of our old trees, it is still hundreds of years.

Potentially doesn't mean certain. How far are we into the contract and how many have been removed so far? I'd have thought that might give a clearer indication of actual practice.

Can you explain SULE to us - I would have thought once a street tree deteriorates to the extent that eg branches may fall, then it should be replaced even if the tree could live for another hundred years.

---------- Post added 15-11-2015 at 16:18 ----------

As an aside: http://www.hgtv.com/design/real-estate/increase-your-homes-value-with-mature-trees

"Towering trees on your property provide more than beauty -- they increase the value of your home"

On your property (ie in your garden) surely excludes street trees.

---------- Post added 15-11-2015 at 16:19 ----------

Great, I'd suggest reading the first one first - it is quite lengthy but it's pretty comprehensive and a lot of it can be skipped to get to the relevant points.

Cheers - will get on with it :)

Potentially doesn't mean certain. How far are we into the contract and how many have been removed so far? I'd have thought that might give a clearer indication of actual practice.

Can you explain SULE to us - I would have thought once a street tree deteriorates to the extent that eg branches may fall, then it should be replaced even if the tree could live for another hundred years.

---------- Post added 15-11-2015 at 16:18 ----------

On your property (ie in your garden) surely excludes street trees.

SULE is the length of time that the arboriculturist assesses an individual tree can be retained with an acceptable level of risk based on the information available at the time of inspection.

A tree with large limbs falling off would therefore not being deemed to have an acceptable level of risk and so the SULE length would be measured accordingly.

What a classic attempt by someone I'm beginning to suspect of being a troll to subvert and splinter the debate.

WHY have you chosen to ignore the points I raised and indulged in a personal attack?

Answer the questions I raised! I will discuss those with you. :)

---------- Post added 14-11-2015 at 22:28 ----------

With the greatest of respect. You were driving too fast, or your counting skills are in need of refreshment. :)

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/video-hundreds-of-sheffield-protesters-march-against-tree-felling-1-7571409

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2015-11-14/hundreds-march-against-sheffield-tree-felling/

---------- Post added 14-11-2015 at 22:30 ----------

Yup...I see you!

---------- Post added 14-11-2015 at 22:32 ----------

Macbeth is a work of fiction. Pretty much akin to your reply and UKIP policy!

---------- Post added 14-11-2015 at 22:33 ----------

You need the heat to be higher than cool to burnham!

You see me through the eyes of a saddo?? Oh well, glad you've accepted your misgivings xx

Potentially doesn't mean certain. How far are we into the contract and how many have been removed so far? I'd have thought that might give a clearer indication of actual practice

2.5 years and 2500 trees felled so far.

On your property (ie in your garden) surely excludes street trees

Indeed. It was given as an illustration of the value of mature trees to property, as an 'aside'

People can focus on more than one issue at the same time you know.

This IS a real issue. You chop down the trees you increase pollution, make the city more ugly so reduce tourism, its all about the big picture.

Never heard of the butterfly effect?

It might not seem a big issue to lose a tree or two, but if everyone takes that view it mounts up and suddenly we have deforestation. That's how many of the big issues in the world develop, including terrorism.

"Oh, its just a few extremists", whoops, its not a few any more.

how can you compare trees being cut down to terrorism, are you for real or what. I would like to see you stood outside town hall shouting that and see the reaction, u would be hiding up a tree

I know people can focus on more than one thing at once, never said otherwise

don't think u can say amey are causing deforestation do u, chopping trees down on residential roads, they aren't clearing a rain forest

chopping trees down doesn't affect tourism, don't know where you got that one from. tourists visit museums, historical buildings, theatres etc, not trees unless Sherwood forest or somewhere like that.

Is there anything anyone can do to stop the tree murdering which is happening throughout Sheffield? They are now killing beautifu trees in Nether Edge it is so depressing and to be honest taking big absolutely awesome trees at nesting time and replacing them with twigs is horrendous, I'm so upset about this and worried where they will strike next

thanks, it is good