Tree devastation in Sheffield

The plans talked of the high percentage of roadside trees being over-mature and needing replacement.

A friend who's a tree surgeon has had the same opinion for years: that Sheffield is full of mature trees which are all getting dangerously big and old and decrepit at the same time.

What do you think the lifetime costs of care are for someone who trips and becomes paralysed?

It wasn't an exaggeration.

The point is if it IS down to a damaged pavement due to a tree. That's the problem being addressed. Pot holes are also part of the contract, but not part of this discussion.

No there aren't. If roots are damaging a pavement then the tree has to be removed.

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 08:34 ----------

In which case expect to get a bill from Amey I suppose.

If they weren't given to the council then they are on council owned land and they should ask you to foot the bill for removal and/or maintenance.

RE my bold.

It's early for pantomime season but...oh yes there is!

I can substantiate my statement...can you do the same for yours?

I agree with you...up to a point. Trees are a huge issue!

Having said that I agree with you 100% on the parking issue. Heeley Bank Road in Heeley is currently undergoing lamp post replacement and Amey are the contractors carrying out the work. Sections of the pavement are, and have been, cordoned off with barriers to protect people from tripping or falling down the holes. Both sides of the road are having the work done and no pedestrian warnings or alternative protection is in place to alert people that in order to get past the work they will have to walk into the road, which at times resembles a race track. If you are blind you are taking your life in your hands and the same goes for wheelchair users and mums with prams as well as infirm elderly people.

I'm left to wonder who will bear the responsibility should someone have a serious accident. Will that be Amey or will that be the council?

if they are blocking off access and not providing a safe alternative, then report it as soon as possible, so they can sort it out. They should have kept the area safe, but if for some reason they have not, it is important to report it.

If YOU know it is wrong, surely it is up to YOU to report it.

if they are blocking off access and not providing a safe alternative, then report it as soon as possible, so they can sort it out. They should have kept the area safe, but if for some reason they have not, it is important to report it.

If YOU know it is wrong, surely it is up to YOU to report it.

I did report it! I spoke to the crew on site who looked at me like I had just landed from another planet and carried on working. I rang in with the complaint and...nothing!

Some work on one side of the road has been half completed and holes are covered with yellow plastic boards. The other side still has access blocked.

In fact, Cyclone, the trees on Wayland Road were bought by householders, at the suggestion of the Council who promised to manage them. If they had, perhaps the trees would now be in a better condition.

Granma.

Qote Cyclone:If they weren't given to the council then they are on council owned land and they should ask you to foot the bill for removal and/or maintenance.

See my quoted post, specifically: "Council who promised to manage them."

They did not prune them, which would have controlled the extent of the roots.

Granma.

Just as a general thought...

Should the council plant trees which will then need pruning? Wouldn't it be better, if possible, to site trees such that they would not need to be pruned? This would either be by planting large trees where they are free to grow, eg in parks and large grassy areas. In more constrained areas, choose smaller trees.

Pruning trees must be less ideal for the trees health than leaving it to grow naturally in a large enough site. Also, it is not so pleasant to look at, so the amenity value is reduced.

Qote Cyclone:If they weren't given to the council then they are on council owned land and they should ask you to foot the bill for removal and/or maintenance.

See my quoted post, specifically: "Council who promised to manage them."

They did not prune them, which would have controlled the extent of the roots.

Granma.

They are managing them. You can't simultaneously claim ownership but demand that the council manage the trees, but only as you see fit.

Seems to me that you want to have your cake and eat it!

I did report it! I spoke to the crew on site who looked at me like I had just landed from another planet and carried on working. I rang in with the complaint and...nothing!

Some work on one side of the road has been half completed and holes are covered with yellow plastic boards. The other side still has access blocked.

When I've had reason to report stuff, I've done it on line. They've always got back to me quickly, and with a reference number, and sorted it. The reference number gives extra clout if you do need to take it further, as well as giving them something to be audited against, so more incentive for them to sort it.

I think the on-line posting works well. (Except for the minor inconvenience of being expected to quote a house number when describing the site of any problem - not easy if there are no houses nearby).

Edit. I reckon it would work better if they let you put a mark on a map. That would be good for reporting potholes, in particular. I think I'll go online to SCC and suggest it, if there system will let me.

Edited by Eater Sundae

RE my bold.

It's early for pantomime season but...oh yes there is!

I can substantiate my statement...can you do the same for yours?

Well, why don't you go ahead first, I fancy a laugh.

They are managing them. You can't simultaneously claim ownership but demand that the council manage the trees, but only as you see fit.

Seems to me that you want to have your cake and eat it!

They are managing them.

Too Late!!

They said they would when they were planted.

And your remark re. cake is approaching personal criticism.

Granma.

Well, why don't you go ahead first, I fancy a laugh.

I can suggest a whole host of comedy downloads for you if you would like.

You made a statement which was false and illustrated your lack of knowledge on the subject. Lest you want to be the butt of the next joke I would stop digging now if I were you.

Sheffield is losing canopy cover from its urban forest at an unprecedented rate along its city streets. The associated losses, in terms of beneficial ecosystem services afforded by the trees - to the city and its inhabitants - are likely to be significant. The likely magnitude of such losses represents serious, irreversible damage and environmental degradation that threatens to harm people’s health and well-being. The Local Authority has failed to consider the benefits of ecosystem services in management decisions, and has neglected to exercise its duty to apply use of the precautionary principle, resulting in unbalanced assessments and disproportionate responses. What measures exist to ensure that Local Authorities comply with their legal duty to apply the precautionary principle, in making decisions where there is uncertainty about the probability of the risk and the degree of harm?