Tree devastation in Sheffield

Yes, you are on their hitlist Ann, like every other tree-lined street in Sheffield. There are no real pavement issues and the trees are all healthy on Rustlings Road also. That's why we're putting up a fight this end of town! Amey have been doing a 'peppered' approach to felling. One street here and there, 2weeks notice period - there's no time to mount a campaign and people don't get the opportunity to unite. Very stealthy. And completely against TDAG guidance, which counsels full community involvement in the decision making process of managing the urban forest in a sustainable way.

So does our being in a conservation area not make any difference at all?

Yes, you are on their hitlist Ann, like every other tree-lined street in Sheffield. There are no real pavement issues and the trees are all healthy on Rustlings Road also. That's why we're putting up a fight this end of town! Amey have been doing a 'peppered' approach to felling. One street here and there, 2weeks notice period - there's no time to mount a campaign and people don't get the opportunity to unite. Very stealthy. And completely against TDAG guidance, which counsels full community involvement in the decision making process of managing the urban forest in a sustainable way.

Do you have proof of this or are you just scaremongering?

I live there and I don't want them felled. Better managed yes but felling no! Also gven the leaf canopy is quite a way off the ground and I manage to cross the road to get the bus every day with clear line of sight in either direction as do others not sure what you're on about. I also have no visibility problems driving on our road. Never have had in the 23 years we've been here.

Ann, the reason for my comments is that on numerous occasions I have witnessed cars pull out of the side roads and nearly hit either cyclists, motorcyclists or cars due to lack of a clear line of sight of oncoming traffic. I have also witnessed people step out into the carriageway in front of both cyclists and cars, I can only presume they do this because that they cannot see clearly what is approaching. I now drive as close to the central road marking as is safe to give me a better chance of seeing what is happening ahead.

One place to start would be to remove the growth on the bottom 12" of each tree this would help, but I see the same issue summer or winter, so maybe not.

So does our being in a conservation area not make any difference at all?

Rustlings Road is in a conservation area also Ann - it makes no difference to Amey. They have already felled 2000 trees since 2012 and they are planning a continued stealth blitz. People across Sheffield have really no idea until the 2 wk notice period - by which time it was too late. Fulwood, Carterknowle Rd, Cemetry road have all been asset stripped with no prior community involvement.

---------- Post added 15-06-2015 at 16:09 ----------

Start a petition and please get all your neighbours to sign ours! http://chn.ge/1dtg74B

Ann, the reason for my comments is that on numerous occasions I have witnessed cars pull out of the side roads and nearly hit either cyclists, motorcyclists or cars due to lack of a clear line of sight of oncoming traffic. I have also witnessed people step out into the carriageway in front of both cyclists and cars, I can only presume they do this because that they cannot see clearly what is approaching. I now drive as close to the central road marking as is safe to give me a better chance of seeing what is happening ahead.

One place to start would be to remove the growth on the bottom 12" of each tree this would help, but I see the same issue summer or winter, so maybe not.

The leaf canopy is about 15ft off the ground. The reason people can't see is because of the parked cars - usually the ones parked illegally by parents of kids who attend Clifford school. It has nothing at all to do with the trees.

Rustlings Road is in a conservation area also Ann - it makes no difference to Amey. They have already felled 2000 trees since 2012 and they are planning a continued stealth blitz. People across Sheffield have really no idea until the 2 wk notice period - by which time it was too late. Fulwood, Carterknowle Rd, Cemetry road have all been asset stripped with no prior community involvement.

---------- Post added 15-06-2015 at 16:09 ----------

Start a petition and please get all your neighbours to sign ours! http://chn.ge/1dtg74B

I see you have ignored my question.

The trees on Psalter lane could also do with thinning out, alternate ones and ones close to junctions need removing to ensure clearer views for pedestrians, drivers and cyclists.

Or people could slow down. Chopping trees down for a clearer view? They could remove a few buildings while they are at it, get a much clearer view that way.

The leaf canopy is about 15ft off the ground. The reason people can't see is because of the parked cars - usually the ones parked illegally by parents of kids who attend Clifford school. It has nothing at all to do with the trees.

many of the trees are sprouting small branches from the ground upwards which if managed properly should be removed, these do not help. Granted parked cars can be an issue, but visibility when exiting side roads is difficult with so little vision.

---------- Post added 16-06-2015 at 08:53 ----------

Or people could slow down. Chopping trees down for a clearer view? They could remove a few buildings while they are at it, get a much clearer view that way.

neeeeeeeeeek, what would you get a clearer view of by knocking down buildings that stand well back from the road?

... what would you get a clearer view of by knocking down buildings that stand well back from the road?

Is the answer... more trees? :huh:

Richard Hawley comment in The Star today.....

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-singer-richard-hawley-backs-growing-tree-campaign-as-petition-date-nears-1-7311887

---------- Post added 16-06-2015 at 21:22 ----------

Hi old friend! :wave:

many of the trees are sprouting small branches from the ground upwards which if managed properly should be removed, these do not help. Granted parked cars can be an issue, but visibility when exiting side roads is difficult with so little vision.

---------- Post added 16-06-2015 at 08:53 ----------

neeeeeeeeeek, what would you get a clearer view of by knocking down buildings that stand well back from the road?

The ones that are sprouting from the bottom such as the two outside my house are at least 6ft away from the kerbside on a grass verge. I mentioned your post to my hubby when we went out earlier tonight just to see what he thought. Neither of us see any problem with the trees and the bits sprouting certainly don't obscure your vision. The problem is the parked cars and always has been. Even permit parking hasn't changed that. And the bits sprouting from the bottom of the trees do get pruned usually July/August time each year.

If I remember tomorrow I'll take a photograph to illustrate the point. Bit dark now to do it :) But strange how I can see clearly stood on the kerbside from one end of the road to the other on both sides of the road yet you can't. I'm all for cutting down the amount of traffic we get so may I suggest an alternative route? :)